If a four-legged friend appears in the house, then the owners should think about a lot – visit a veterinary clinic, convenient sleeper, paddock schedule and, of course, about the right nutrition. If we are talking about finished feed, then in this case just consult your veterinarian or breeder about what brand of feed to choose and how to calculate the portion. Much more the question arises if you plan to feed the dog with conventional products. Let’s figure out how to feed and what to eat. a dog?
- 1. Basic rules for feeding a dog
- 2. How to feed a dog
- 3. In what form is it better to give meat
- 4. Which meat is better to choose
- 5. In what form to give the dog a fish
- 6. Dairy products in the dog’s diet
- 6.1. Related video:
- 7. Groats for dogs
Basic rules for feeding a dog
To date, a lot of research on proper nutrition of dogs, but still in some matters experts cannot agree on a common opinion. But still there basic rules for feeding pets:
- It is good when the food is in moderation. Do not rely only on appetite dogs in determining the norm of food. Often they eat much more than they need. Only experience will tell you how much food is required. for the pet to be full and not overeat.
- The dog lasts 20 minutes to saturate. Strongly it is recommended to clean the food after 20 minutes, after it put. In this case, do not pay attention to how much I ate a dog, even if it hasn’t touched food at all. With this feeding the pet will not be low-quality, standing half a day food, and he will be accustomed to eat on schedule.
- Enough of two feedings per day. For an adult pet two-time feeding is the norm. Should stick temporary regimen and equal servings of food.
- No need to salt food. All foods contain salt and this the amount of dog is enough.
- Bowl stand required. You can purchase a special stand or make yourself. She will allow to put bowls with food at the sternum level of the animal so that the dog does not leaned down. A convenient option – a tripod mount, with with which you can adjust the height of the stand.
- It is necessary to provide the dog with fresh water. This is especially important when feeding a pet with prepared feeds. Bowl of water also mounted on a stand. Even if the pet has in the evening there is water left, in the morning it is necessary to replace it with fresh one.
- You need to give preference to more valuable products. For example, because of savings, you can’t replace part of a serving of meat with cereals or vegetables.
- When skipping feeding, you should not offer your pet a double the norm. If a failure occurs in the mode, you should not shift the schedule and try to feed the dog more. The portion should be the same.
- Empirically, it is necessary to determine the necessary portion. If a each time the pet eats all the food and licks the dishes clean, then then it’s worth a bit to increase the serving. After a while it will be possible to find out how much food the dog needs so that it is full and did not gain extra pounds. When overeating, the dog will start typing excess weight will become less mobile and, naturally, lazy. In that In case of a portion of food is cut, and the duration of the walk increases. If the dog has food left in the bowl, then you need to servings to make less.
- A dog needs variety in food. If the animal prefers certain foods, this does not mean that it is not necessary introduce new products. In most cases, dogs get bored monotony, and this is a great moment to try something new.
- It is necessary to withstand the time between walking and feeding. If a the dog has a long walk, training, any other physical activity, then she needs to be given food no later than two hours before the event. After actively spent time you need to wait at least an hour, and then feed, otherwise the dog can significantly worsen health.
How to feed a dog
If we consider the percentage, then the diet is healthy An adult dog should look like this:
- from 30 to 50% – meat and offal;
- from 25 to 35% – cereals;
- from 20 to 30% – dairy products;
- from 10 to 15% – vegetables.
An ideal option is food, consisting in a larger degrees from meat and dairy products, and cereals and vegetables in it an additional role is given. In this case, fish and meat in the diet should be at least 50% (as much as possible), an average of 35% dairy products, 10-15% of cereals and vegetables.
This menu indicates that keeping a dog is a matter of costly, and not everyone can afford it. But, getting a pet, a person must understand that this animal is by no means herbivore and requires feeding it with meat.
It is considered optional to give the dog milk every day, You can take a break for a day or two. These products are quite possible replace with poultry, offal, fish.
It is important to observe the following points:
- Do not give dairy products with meat or vegetables.
- Dairy products are always given separately.
- Meat can be given alone or mixed with minced vegetables
- Meat products can be given raw to the dog or exposed heat treated.
- You can add vegetable oil and finely chopped meat to the meat fresh greens.
Perhaps you will find useful articles:
- How to feed a Labrador
- How to feed a pug
In what form is it better to give meat
There are two opposing opinions about raw meat – one experts say that it is impossible to give it to a pet in this form in no case, others, on the contrary, believe that raw meat – it is a natural food for predators.
There is some truth in both cases – raw meat is wonderful digested by the digestive system of the dog, but is it always pet owners are sure that it is not infected with any microorganisms? If products are bought in specialized stores and undergo special checks, it’s quite possible treat them to a four-legged friend.
The meat must be deep-frozen for two to three days, then thaw and only after that give it eating dog. If you have no time to freeze, you can cook meat until half cooked in water or with cereal.
When calculating the amount of meat should be based on the following proportions – 20 grams of food per kilogram of pet weight. For example, an adult spaniel dog should eat an average of a quarter kilograms of meat per day, while German or Eastern European the shepherd needs 700-800 grams. Of course, these are average numbers, and each owner must calculate the norms individually.
Which meat is better to choose
Among the main types, low-fat beef predominates. Then come the meat of rabbit, lamb, horse meat. These products have in the composition is low in fat and high in calories. Not recommended to give minced meat and pork.
Offal – the liver, heart, lung, stomach, kidneys, etc. But then it is necessary approximately a third increase their number to justify meat consumed per day.
Poultry meat (chicken, quail, turkey) and their offal (hearts, stomachs, necks, liver, etc.) can be given to dogs, but only if they do not have digestive problems. but it is impossible to completely replace meat with offal.
In what form to give a dog a fish
It is not forbidden to feed the dog with fish, only the norm of the product should be doubled and it is recommended to give it no more than two once a week. It is quite common that pets refuse fish. In this case, you can simply remove it from diet without any consequences. You can also constantly change types of fish and it may be possible to find one that will have a pet taste.
It is permissible to give marine fish species raw, but if there is a fraction of doubt, you can freeze for two to three days. What If it concerns the river, then it requires mandatory defrosting or heat treatment. No matter what the fish, you have to pretty tinker, because before giving it to the dog, you need remove all bones from it.
From cheap and few problematic options, you can choose the gobies. If they please the pet, then they can be just fine boil and do not touch the bones.
Dairy products in the dog’s diet
Very often dog owners are at a crossroads, as there is a lot of contradictory information that from dairy products can be given to dogs, and what not.
If the pet has a weak digestive system, then it is better just abandon fatty foods in favor of those whose fat content does not exceed 5%.
As for skim dairy products, it’s not best option for a dog.
Among the most suitable products can be noted the following:
- yogurts (sugar free and various additives);
- cottage cheese.
Adult dogs are not recommended to give milk for food. IN honey (0.5 teaspoon per serving), cottage cheese can be enriched with chloride calcium
Groats for dogs
It is better to boil cereals based on vegetable or meat broth. You can cook meat and offal in the croup itself. Not worth giving legumes (peas, beans, lentils), corn, barley, semolina. Buckwheat, hercules, rice, wheat and barley grits.
Following certain rules and recommendations of specialists in feeding your beloved pet, you can be sure of it normal development and absolute health!