Howling, whining, barking, spoiled furniture and small household items – so the dog reacts to loneliness. Leaving the dog in the apartment, the owner expects with fear – what will meet him upon his return? Such the reaction is not pampering, but the natural reaction of the animal to stress. To punish him is only to aggravate the problems. How to train a dog stay home alone?
Before you take any steps, you should make sure that barking in an empty apartment is not caused by real factors. Even the most a well-bred dog will bark if he hears a noise near the door. So she implements security instincts. In response, the neighbors begin to knock on wall, which even more “turns” the pet. As a result, complaints about barking and howling, which was caused by natural causes.
Natural is the reaction to loneliness in dogs “teenagers.” They reach maximum activity in 7-8 months. If the dog is not raised and not given the opportunity to “let off” steam, chewed shoes, torn sofa cushions and magazines – normal reaction to attention deficit and care.
With such naughty people it is necessary to walk in the morning, to give them the opportunity actively move – play, chat, run, explore. Then minimum of developing toys and intensive walking will give the ability to leave the baby for 3-4 hours without prejudice to his psyche and mastery.
Natural factors are easier to correct and by applying minimum effort, the owner gets educated and mentally a balanced pet that can safely remain alone. But there is a real danger warned about zoopsychologists.
If the animal, contrary to all methods of education, is active walking and learning, continues to spoil things of one of the members family, you should beware – perhaps the pet has problems with psyche or conflict with someone in the family.
In some dog breeds, fear of loneliness is difficult correction. They are bred in order to constantly be in contact with the owner. Fear of loneliness is genetically determined and can cause a neurosis of loneliness. Such a dog in adult aged “naughty”, causing defeat and making noise. But some In individuals, neurosis is manifested by apathy, loss of mobility, and depression. Until the development of organic lesions.
Fear of loneliness can be caused in dogs:
- attention deficit;
- stressing factors (shot, firecrackers, peals thunder, suddenly triggered siren of a car);
- change of residence or owner;
- the appearance in the house of a new object of attention (baby or other pet);
- violence of previous owners;
- obsessive states.
In such cases, in addition to patience, education, increase attention, drug therapy may be required. Dogs are given sedatives, and in the case of mental disorders provide medical care and resort to professional correction of behavior.
Signs of a “neurosis of loneliness”
Fear of being alone in an empty apartment is “recorded” in genes pets and is a legacy from wild ancestors. Puppies left for a long time in a hole can die from hunger or attack predator. Permanent contact with the pack leader or parent to socialize the animal, to obtain the necessary skills, formation of behavioral characteristics.
Fear of losing a protector and guardian causes a puppy:
- voice reaction – howling, barking;
- behavioral deviations – rout in the apartment, damage of things;
- increase in body temperature;
- upset stool – diarrhea;
- shortness of breath (the puppy often breathes with his tongue sticking out);
- sweating paw pads;
- physical and psychological exhaustion – after the arrival of the owner the dog sleeps for a long time.
Only after the reasons for the fear of loneliness are revealed, You can start raising a dog.
Manipulators and leaders
Dogs feel very well the emotional state of the owner and from infancy, they are taught to manipulate it. It’s hard to stay indifferent, if the baby presses at his feet, whines and howls, stands the owner will approach the exit from the apartment. Natural reaction – stroking, squeezing, trying to appease a treat. Doggie fast realizes that the owner is weak and repeats the encore number.
Another form of inappropriate behavior in loneliness is fear loss of control. Most often, dogs with strong character and desire for leadership. They need to constantly be in contact with households to control them. Such the dog immediately calms down, should he go out or chat with other dogs. He also loses interest, should the owner enter an apartment. They have no symptoms of loneliness neurosis. Such Psychotypes need a solid and consistent upbringing.
How to train a dog to loneliness
Correction of behavior can take a lot of time and demand a change in behavior not only of the pet, but also of his the owner. To develop a calm attitude in the dog towards parting, it is recommended to adhere to the following rules:
- You can’t say goodbye to the dog for a long time before leaving, and when return violently hugging and “kissing”. Should try accustom yourself and your pet to calmly react to parting.
- Make it clear to the animal that the owner will definitely return. Can gather for 1-2 weeks, as usual (get dressed, ring keys), go out the door, and come back in a few minutes. So the dog will understand that no one is going to leave him, and the owner will definitely come back.
- Develop a neutral reaction to stimuli. At the dog a reflex is developed that the owner leaves him after putting on outerwear, shoes, ringing keys … Worth trying 1-2 weeks to get dressed, take keys with you, but don’t go anywhere. Gradually, the dog will develop a calm reaction to irritants.
- Create a pet safe shelter. The dog will feel calmer yourself in the “mink” with your favorite toys that will not only take teeth, but also give food to the mind. Doghouse or cozy basket with a mattress will create the illusion of protection.
Norwegian dog handler Thurid Rugos advises training a dog with reconciliation signals. In The Dialog with Dogs: Signals reconciliation “is an exercise that doesn’t take much time, but will give the expected result.
Video on how to wean a dog howl and bark when she stays home alone
The education of the correct attitude to loneliness should begin gradually. Each time, getting up from the chair, you need to stretch out your hand in side of the dog, turning his palm down, and after a while to sit down. Gradually, the dog will understand that the gesture means “calmly, I’m coming back in place. ”
After a while, the signal repeats when the owner leaves the room and enters into it. The time of absence is gradually increasing. Third stage – exit from the apartment. Gesture – we exit and in a couple of seconds come in. We increase the time. So the dog gets used that the gesture speaks of soon returning – nothing to worry about.
Trying to get another dog so that they are not together boring to expect the owner, usually doomed to failure. Is not a fact, that they get along or will not be jealous of each other. Two ill-bred dogs will create twice as many problems. therefore the only way out is to try to raise the pet correctly or not start a very active, emotional breed like setter, hounds, spaniels.