Many dogs are excellent guards and exhibit aggression against uninvited guests is their direct duty. But sometimes the situation gets out of control and then the dog growls at the owner. Unfortunately, often the owners do not try to figure out situations, especially when it comes to large animals, and immediately get rid of the pet for fear of serious consequences. But such there is always a reason for behavior, and it is far from always connected with anger. What can cause a similar reaction and, most importantly, how to ward off a pet from this bad habit?
What is the reason for this behavior
The dog can not only growl, but also show his negative attitude in other ways – to grin, bark, not to fulfill the task given to him. An angry animal may unnecessarily sensitively guard your bowl, toys or other objects that the pet considers his own.
In addition, the dog is able to show excessive discontent in time for hygiene procedures that you don’t particularly like, e.g. when clipping, combing, using machines for trimming.
But sometimes such behavior is not a sign of aggression, it signals that the pet is confused and feels defenseless. How can one find out the reason for a growl?
Experts identify several situations that can provoke growl, anxiety and other emotions in the dog:
- The dog considers himself the master of the house. Representatives many breeds have a dominance tendency that they often show when communicating with family members and other home animals. Often, spoiled individuals become leaders, as the owner makes a mistake trying to please his four-legged friend. The animal begins to be jealous of its things – food, toys, not allowing the owner to approach and take them. In addition, the dog can encroach on objects that he does not belong to. With a growl, he claims his rights and confirms – in the house owner is only one!
- The dog responds with aggression to cruelty. IN In this case, the situation is the opposite – the pet is constantly faced with cruelty directed at him, and a growl becomes a warning signal – do not come close. Dog also can growl when punished or scolded for misconduct causes.
- A dog growls with a growl of ownership. This behavior is common in adolescent males who not only grow, become stronger, but also try assert itself. During this period, many owners are faced with that an obedient and flexible dog suddenly becomes uncontrollable. it occurs due to natural instincts – the animal manifests its leadership qualities, and the goal of such behavior is one – to become the leader. In addition to growling, the dog may violate previously established borders, occupying forbidden territory. Most often in her quality acts as a berth of the owner. With this, about any fear does not go, with all his appearance the male shows his fearlessness and confirms significance.
- Food aggression. In this situation, the puppy may grab a treat while biting his hand, growling when the owner strokes it while eating. Adult dog can grin or freeze, eating food, if at this time the owner comes too close or reaches out to the bowl. Like that behavior is adjusted, for this there are several methods.
- Aggression of a puppy bitch. Mother always tries protect your offspring is a strong innate instinct, helping bitches keep their babies safe. In that period, she may be angry with other bitches, even without visible reason. And at home, do not allow the owner’s puppies, but more often all this applies only to children.
- Reaction to pain. Dogs especially too independent and active, often injured, getting external or internal damage. Sometimes owners don’t even know about This or the dog has no visible wounds. Naturally, for when touched, the pet can growl, pull away, whimper.
In almost all of these situations, except for the dominant manifestations, there is an irritant provoking a dog. But it is most difficult to correct the errors of upbringing in which the dog allows itself inappropriate behavior towards the owner.
Why does a dog have dominant behavior and how does it manifests itself
Dogs have been living next to humans for more than a thousand years, but at this, in fact, retain their flocking behavior. Only for the pack they take the owner and household. With proper upbringing, the dog perceives the owner as a leader, he must obey him. Both the pet and other members must obey the leader families.
If the puppy was not immediately shown who is in charge of the house, then he is perceives for the possibility of independent choice. Naturally, that he will appoint himself to this position, with pleasure becoming a leader flocks, and his behavior will be appropriate.
The behavioral line of a leader develops gradually, starting with little disobedience. The dog does not execute commands from the first times, waiting and evaluating the reaction of the host. About any aggression in In this case, there is no question. Why, as a result, the dog allows itself growling at the owner?
The manifestation of anger and an animal grin signals that the dog has taken a dominant position in the house and considers himself a leader flocks. To eliminate this behavior, the pet needs to the first day of appearance in the house indicate its place.
What are some signs of dog dominant behavior? owner?
- the dog has the audacity to go to bed in the place of the owner, and when attempts to drive away begins to growl and bite;
- the first to rush towards dinner, demanding tidbits (according to the rules, feed the dog only after the meal of all other members families);
- drags food into the room and, again, with the suppression of such behavior, begins to grin and growl;
- when guests come to the house, the dog’s behavior may be unpredictable – he can show curiosity, aggression, and with this the owner is not able to calm the pet and remove it from premises;
- during the walk the dog does not go near, but strive all the time move ahead;
- does not listen to commands, performs carelessly during classes trying to play as much as possible, obsessive behavior.
Often, dogs perceive the superiority of adult family members, but children are considered equal to themselves or referred to even lower rank. Naturally, with this attitude, the dog can growl at them, grind and bite, even when with adults people do not allow the dog to behave like this.
Most often, babies are not an “authority” for a pet, especially those that appeared in the house later than the animal or when parents allow themselves to raise their voice in the presence of a child dogs.
It doesn’t matter what makes the dog growl at the owner and other members families, such behavior needs to be fought. After all, according to statistics, about 80% of pets who allow themselves to behave this way are capable of bite a person.
If anger is not associated with a central nervous system disease systems, injuries and other pathological conditions, it should to engage in the education of a presumptuous pet.
Specialists working with too aggressive dogs recommend using an ultrasonic whistle. His sound is so disagreeable to the ear of animals that the dog stops growling and grinning, only to not hear him anymore. Gradually, he will begin to understand that his exposure is due to inappropriate behavior and will understand who is in the house main. In this case, the necessary reflexes are triggered.
When choosing methods of re-education, it is necessary to take into account the type aggression, habits and temperament of the pet. And if similar behavior occurs in serious, large dogs, it’s best contact a dog handler who knows pedigree features and has experience with similar dogs. Big, strong pet is great responsibility and risking health – their own and those close to them, not worth it.
But, regardless of the size of the pet, it is important for the owner to restore his authority, becoming a real leader. The dog, of course, is far from will immediately accept the new state of affairs and will resist, but, showing patience, endurance and fortitude, a person will succeed normalize the situation.
Otherwise, the guard or fighting breed dog may become a threat to others. And if a person does not initially possess solid character and has no experience in communication and education of such animals, then the idea of having such a pet should immediately refuse.
To restore the hierarchy, it’s important for the owner to know the points exposure and take control of them. This includes the process. feeding, affection, encouragement and punishment.
How to feed a dog
You should stop giving your pet food before eating it yourself or do not feed him during the general meal. It’s important to train a dog eat only after a certain team and stop the process, its upon hearing. A well-bred dog should meekly give a bowl, even if leftover food remains in it.
If the dog is trying to push the owner away from his bowl, he It is recommended to start feeding her while holding the dishes in one hand. Yet one aspect: you must stop all begging attempts and drive the dog away from the table. You should never back down when you hear a growl otherwise the dog decides that this method works, and the owner immediately losing his leadership status.
Even the beloved, beloved doggie, in which the owner of the soul does not like, should receive a limited amount of affection. You can’t all the time caress, praise and pet, as he perceives such behavior is not a manifestation of love, but as a recognition its dominance.
It is advisable to use affection as a reward for a good executed commands, excellent behavior.
Watch the video if the dog growls at the owner
When to encourage and when to punish
Dogs are very sensitive and understand when they are treated. rightly, and when they offend just like that, they are not just home animals, and four-legged friends deserving of an honest attitude. Has your pet earned praise? He must get it. Delinquent? Punishment is inevitable, and the dog must understand what a business.
You need to be careful with the punishment and use the method better. leaders. In a flock of delinquent grab at the withers, pressed to the ground, using pressure, and hold for some time in such position.
If the dog is trying to resist, then it should be sharply lift into the air, this will give him a feeling of helplessness and reduce arrogance. A limp animal is considered to have given in, recognized authority of a stronger opponent.
This technique will give more positive results than swearing, insults, screams. It can be used for any disobedience, both in training and in ordinary life. If the dog is too aggressive, you can use a muzzle to protect yourself.
Any behavioral problem is always easier to prevent than after doing the correction. Also some breeds practically do not lend themselves to re-education, while with others Specialists will have to work. Therefore, it is worth paying special attention to early socialization, parenting and training of the pet, while he is still a puppy. In this case, it is much easier to adjust. behavior and, if necessary, remind who is a leader.