Like people, our four-legged friends have phobias and fears, and even the most daring of them can be seriously scared when they hear a sharp, piercing sound, such as a shot. But this is happening not with all dogs. Some of them are practically not react to this phenomenon, so fear is not innate vice, and is formed in the course of the animal’s life. For hunting dogs fear of shots – a serious flaw, belittling their workers qualities, for the rest – a reason for severe stress, mental disorders. In addition, due to panic, the animal often gets into trouble, therefore, if the dog is afraid of shots, causes and methods struggle with this condition is worth a look.
How a dog perceives sharp sounds and reacts to them
Fear is a natural feeling that helps sentient beings. survive even in the most severe conditions, avoid injuries and encounters and by predators. But the owner should not treat the pet phobia carelessly, arguing that this is not a problem, all the more so they’re afraid of something.
In fact, fear and even horror of sharp sounds cause inappropriate behavior of dogs leading to trouble:
- During festive fireworks, massive pet shoots – on such days, the media literally full of announcements of the loss of favorites or find Lost. Unfortunately, the business does not always end happy dog return to the family.
- An overly shy dog can do daily shoots – hearing the sound of a bursting balloon pyrotechnics, exhaust system, etc., the pet will explode, headlong and without examining the road – again, he falls into a very risky the situation.
- Loud noises causing panic are the cause severe stress in the animal – this condition is negative affects the health of the dog, reduces its immunity and defenses organism – in this case, the risks of various diseases in several times increase.
Experts found that fireworks scare dogs more often than shots. And although it is not known for certain why this is happening, but there is an opinion that a dog’s ear catches ultrasound, to which human hearing is immune.
As soon as the owner discovers that his pet is not so fearless, it is worth taking care of protecting the dog from existing risks. The main danger is shoots – sudden, chaotic, in while the pet is moving, it cannot remember the road and smells. “Runners” cover vast distances and in most cases do not can return home on their own.
Important safety precautions in this case are the following:
- The four-legged one should be equipped with a “duty” collar, which never removed, even at home – it’s narrow accessory made of bright nylon or nylon with firmly sewn ring.
- Be sure to have an “address” – it can be done on your own or purchase ready. Addresses run as tags, plates, tokens or capsules that indicate the exact Address of dog owners with city name and phone numbers. To encourage people who found the pet to return it to the specified address, it is worth mentioning the reward for such a good deed.
- A shy dog should not be released from a leash during a walk and hope that nothing bad happens. Also worth checking out state of ammunition – the dog should not be able to get out from the collar or damage the carabiner with a sharp jerk.
- If there are massive celebrations with fireworks, it is important to competently plan your walks and in no case take with you four-legged friends at the event.
Fear of sharp sounds can be corrected. But there is one more an important nuance – if the dog is able to catch moving along air objects, its prey may be a firecracker or other unsafe projectile. This is important to consider when raising four-legged friend.
Why is the dog in fear
In some cases, phobias are idiopathic in nature, then there are no visible reasons for such behavior. Moreover, dogs have congenital mental disorders when a puppy It turns out to be cowardly from birth. To eliminate such pathologies require more time, but by making an effort, you can make your pet more stress resistant and calm.
It’s hard to find out why the dog is afraid if the pet Already grown up in a new family. In this case, find out the root cause. almost impossible. In other situations, it is recommended analyze the life of a pet as long as he started inadequately respond to shots or other sharp noises. More often total pet is experiencing real stress and his behavior becomes more than clear:
- once upon a dog, another dog or person was shot, Naturally, this is not hunting, but violence;
- the pet risked his life or saw someone being killed of another.
“Mushtra” does not deserve a favorite who was himself injured since his horror of the shots is a normal reaction:
- the dog is a real soldier and at work found himself in “hot spots” or worked as a lifeguard;
- the dog is already familiar with pyrotechnic devices and experience turned out to be extremely negative;
- it’s about a child’s fright when even an insignificant sound has become cause of panic.
Specialists pay attention to the fact that fears congenital and acquired origin adversely affect the psyche of the animal.
Video ot how to teach a dog not to be afraid of shots
How to help your four-legged friend get rid of fears
Training and behavior correction – a similar activity, but in its based on various aspects. To eradicate fear in an animal is not difficult, but it will take long and systematic classes. The task of the trainer is to instill confidence in the dog, because the simplest for a dog in an incomprehensible situation – to flee, but to use alternative solution, cold mind required.
Experienced dog handlers are advised to use the features of the psyche dogs correctly and do not make deliberately expected mistakes:
- if the pet is frightened, it cannot be encouraged – to regret, take on hands, iron, etc .;
- the distraction method is best – you can start with the dog play or give him a simple command – it is important to switch attention pet
- the owner needs to monitor the reaction of the pet – if he scared, but was able to get together, this suggests that the correction gives result;
- so that the dog, frightened, does not rush home on all sails, a person needs to behave correctly – do not run after the dog, trying to suspect her, but move away from the place of shooting, wait, when everything stops and calmly go home;
- it is necessary to distinguish features of behavior – a dog, like any another creature can and should be afraid, but not in a panic to get scared;
- with corrective training, you should not wait for someone shoots or slams – such situations need to be adjusted independently – in this case, the owner is easier to correctly to react.
You can start classes with a harmless game with small air balls. As a result of the interaction, this toy still bursts, making a pretty loud sound. Owner should behave calmly and continue the game. If at this stage did not arise difficulties, you can go to the next events.
You should ask another person to blow up a firecracker 100-200 m from a pet, but it is advisable to do this behind a house or fence. Usually if the wave dissipates, then the dog pays attention to sound, can tighten the tail and ears, but will not run away. If everyone passed properly, the distance should be reduced to 25-50 m. After the firecracker is replaced with a starting pistol, again starting from afar and gradually approaching. Ideally, the dog should be calm respond to a shot made by the owner sitting at the left legs.
Hunting dog owners should be aware that with correction Behavior Using a starting gun is not recommended. Dog immediately accustomed to the gun with which his owner goes hunting. The reason for this is the difference in sound waves, so the four-legged the “hunter” should get used to this particular weapon.
Dogs are very helpful animals to deal with. Only with proper training the dog will understand how it is necessary correctly behave in a given situation. In addition, he will learn 100% trust your owner.