Infection with fleas of pets brings them not only discomfort, but also increases the risk of allergic reactions and vector-borne diseases transmitted with bites. Chemical animal care industry improves flea preparations by producing them in the form of sprays, drops, anti-flea collars. The safest and easiest to application are flea shampoos.
- 1. The composition and characteristics of shampoos
- 2. Methods of use
- 3. The best flea shampoos
The composition and characteristics of shampoos
The main substance in the composition of dog shampoos is an insecticide that kills parasites. Most often in shampoo enter:
- feverfew – dalmatian chamomile extract, natural insecticide;
- pyrethroids – synthetic analogues of pyrethrum (permethrin, cypermethrin, deltamethrin);
- repellent extracts of medicinal plants exposure to or caring for skin and coat;
- surfactants to create foam;
- conditioner to facilitate combing and antistatic properties.
Insecticides included in the shampoo belong to class 3-4 danger and do not have a harmful effect on dogs, especially in that the concentration that is contained in the detergent. Moreover, they Do not penetrate the animal’s systemic bloodstream. Flea insecticides have a neuroparalytic effect. Substance data inhibit the transmission of nerve signals to muscle fibers. IN as a result, the organs fail in the insects and the parasite dies.
In addition to chemical, shampoo also has a mechanical effect. – thick foam inhibits the movement of fleas, helping them unhindered wash out of wool. Shampoos can be:
- universal, designed for dogs of any breed;
- for dogs with long and thick coat;
- designed for shorthair and hairless breeds with sensitive skin.
Depending on the concentration and type of insecticide, shampoos have age restrictions (for puppies from a certain age), contraindications for the state of the animal (not recommended for washing weakened, old or pregnant dogs).
Shampoo can be used in two ways – for dogs that well tolerate bathing and for those who do not like to swim. The first way is as follows:
- put the dog in the bath;
- moisten the dog’s coat with warm water;
- pour a little shampoo on the palm and distribute it over the coat animal, avoiding the area of the muzzle, ears;
- thoroughly soap the dog and stand for 5-10 minutes;
- rinse shampoo with plenty of water;
- dry the animal with a towel or blow dry the hair dryer;
- comb out the fleas remaining in the wool with a special comb.
The second method involves such actions:
- pour warm water into the bath, about the dog’s belly;
- pour a little shampoo into the water and beat the foam;
- place the dog in the bathtub and wash it with soapy water, avoiding water entering the eyes, mouth and ears of the animal;
- rinse the coat with clean water and dry it;
- comb out the remaining fleas.
Insecticides, upon contact with the mucous membranes, irritate them, therefore, avoid contact with eyes and nose. If shampoo hit the mucous membranes, it is necessary to rinse them with water. Not worth it to allow the licking of shampoo. If the dog often walks on the street, then additional protection in the form of anti-flea collar will be required or drops at the withers.
The best flea shampoos
These domestic shampoos are not expensive, not cause allergies, consist of natural components:
- Phytoelite – the composition includes extracts of wormwood and celandine. Skin and hair care provides coconut oil and lanolin. Bischofite has a regenerating and calming effect. As an insecticide, 0.3% permethrin. Not recommended use for washing puppies up to 2 months of age, sick and pregnant dogs.
- Dr. Zoo – contains medicinal extracts plants – thyme, chamomile, bergamot, sage, red pepper. They are strengthen the coat, stimulate its growth. Shampoo does not have synthetic components, has antibacterial, therapeutic and soothing effect after flea bites.
- Bim Fito – produce several varieties shampoos that differ in incoming plant components – Coniferous, Herbal, Tar.
- Meadow – shampoo is produced for wire-haired breeds of dogs and for breeds with long hair. Part includes extracts of chamomile, calendula, coltsfoot. In shampoo for long-haired dogs added lanolin, grooming the coat.
- Celandine – release Universal, Junior (for puppies and kittens), Restoring, Unraveling (for long-haired breeds).
Imported shampoos are more expensive. The best are considered:
- Trixie – Shampoo with Natural Seed Oil Azadirahti Indian (Nimes), which has a fungicidal effect, antibacterial, antiparasitic, anti-inflammatory act. Shampoo destroys fleas and looks after dry, sensitive skin. Designed for all breeds of adult dogs from fleas and ticks.
- Espree Flea & Tick Shampoo – for short-haired and long-haired breeds. The composition includes washing coconut base moisturizing extract provides aloe vera, as a conditioner – panthenol, jojoba, vitamins A, Dz, E, insecticide – pyrethrin. Can be used to wash puppies with 3 months.
- Espree Citrusil Plus Shampoo – Released Species for long-haired, hairless, short-haired breeds. Part includes seven types of essential oils of citrus, tea tree oil, aloe vera and panthenol, jojoba, vitamins A, D and E. Care for with hair, cleans it well, deodorizes, treats the effects of bites fleas.
These shampoos not only remove adult fleas, they larvae and eggs, but also care for the skin and coat of the dog. Can use as external medicines for treatment dermatitis, eczema, seborrhea. They also remove rash, inflammation, not overdrying the skin.
Shampoo – an effective tool in the fight against fleas and others blood sucking insects. Safety of use is guaranteed. if you follow the instructions for use and choose a tool in according to the age and breed of the dog.