Despite the fact that dogs are more hardy and strong health, in many respects these qualities are based not only on natural data, but also on the conditions of detention and nutrition. They are just like people can get sick without getting the necessary elements, and deficiency vitamins leads to the manifestation of vitamin deficiency in dogs. Like a pet you can recognize this condition and, most importantly, how can it to help?
- 1. Which dogs are at risk
- 2. Why does vitamin deficiency occur in dogs
- 3. “Dog Vitamins” and their deficiency
Which dogs are at risk
Veterinarians identify a lot of reasons that an animal there is a deficiency of vitamins. They may be related to health, physiological characteristics, nutrition. There are a number of situations when animals become most vulnerable to all sorts of pathologies, including vitamin deficiencies. At risk include the following categories of dogs:
- elderly animals;
- dogs carrying and feeding puppies;
- growing offspring;
- pets who have had a disease or surgery;
- street dogs (especially in winter).
A dog needs an additional source of vitamins, preparing for the competition and getting an increased load.
Why does vitamin deficiency occur in dogs
Owners of four-legged friends should know when their pet’s Vitamin deficiency may occur and what are its causes:
- Infectious diseases. Deficit can develop against the background of parvovirus, coronovirus infections, plague, leptospirosis, infection with chlamydia, mycoplasma and others often very dangerous diseases. During the fight of the immune system with a pathogenic pathogen, the body spends a large amount vital components and replenishment is required, otherwise case vitamin deficiency develops.
- Gastrointestinal diseases. These diseases provoke malabsorption of beneficial components in the intestinal tissues, which subsequently leads to the fact that vitamin substances are bad digested. Alimentary tract diseases are more often affected. pets kept in unsuitable conditions whose feed is not meets regulatory requirements. To avoid complications, it is recommended to consult with a veterinarian or experienced breeder about proper feeding and keeping a pet. In some cases requires an individual diet for animal.
- Taking medication against infection. In most cases, eliminate the disease caused by pathogens microorganisms, it is possible only with special medicinal drugs. Unfortunately, most of them are not too picky, eliminating not only microbes, but also beneficial bacteria that produce vitamins in the body. For example, gram-negative microorganisms are responsible for the production of B vitamins and others. To reduce side effects, you should strictly follow the recommendations the vet.
- Period of intensive growth. In small breeds this period lasts 2-3 months, in large dogs – much longer. But both those and other pets at this time require special nutrition and all the necessary trace elements. Otherwise the animal will not fully develop, and the developed deviations from the norm will last a lifetime. If the baby eats dry diets, You should choose a menu specifically designed for puppies. At natural feeding may need additional vitamin complexes. On this issue it is better to turn to to a specialist.
- The time of sexual hunting. This is not an easy period for animal. The dog exhibits remarkable physical activity and constantly in nervous agitation. Occurring in the body processes require an increased amount of nutrients to the body functioned normally at a given load. Important provide the pet with quality nutrition, and if necessary – additional additives. Especially when it comes to animals, involved in breeding.
- Pregnancy, lactation. Pregnant and lactating the animal needs the best possible care and nutrition. In the diet must be present vitamins, trace elements, minerals. Almost all manufacturers of high-quality feeds produce special food lines for dogs in position, or nursing puppies. At By natural feeding you can purchase additional supplements, not not only enriching the diet, but also improving lactation. Some dogs in this period need an individual diet. Agree on the right and balanced menu will help veterinarian.
If in any of the above situations the pet becomes ill grow, gain weight, began to eat poorly, lethargy appeared, weakness, can not conceive offspring, etc. – must pass examination in a veterinary clinic, perhaps these are signs lack of vitamins.
- how to give the dog medicine;
- dog sterilization;
- signs of fungus in dogs.
“Dog Vitamins” and their deficiency
Vitamin deficiency is a deficiency of any vitamin that has various symptoms, depending on the missing component, but here is the therapy in all cases one – replenishment of the required substances.
Vitamin deficiency in the mild stage is called hypovitaminosis. He is not heavily tolerated and fairly easy to treat. True it is possible only if the disease is detected in a timely manner. how as a rule, not all owners are careful and can determine the pathology at the very beginning of development, allowing its progression and transition to more severe form.
There are a number of vitamins that are vital to canine organism, these include the following substances:
- Vitamin A. A deficiency leads to the fact that the dog begins to eat poorly, or completely refuses to eat. Him there are problems with the digestive tract. For puppies a disadvantage such a vitamin can cause growth problems as well pathologies associated with tooth replacement. The animal is lethargic, lethargic, with an extinct look. You can make up the deficit in a proven way, giving your pet fish oil. In addition, this component is rich in egg yolk, beef liver, butter. If the dog suddenly comes out saliva, looking at a sandwich with butter, perhaps this is a reaction to lack of vitamin A.
- Vitamins of group B. Components of this group (a there are a lot of them) are necessary for an excellent external kind of dog. When they are deficient, woolly is the first to suffer. the veil, it becomes faded, lifeless, falls into wolves and starts to fall out. Also, these vitamins are involved in metabolic processes affect the hemoglobin level. Deficiency of these substances can cause diseases of the nervous system that accompanied by exhaustion of the animal, impaired movement, possible convulsive attacks. Enrich the dog’s diet with these elements You can by including in the menu offal – liver, heart, kidneys, buckwheat, eggs, dairy products.
- Vitamin C. In an animal in whose body this element is missing, the liver and gastrointestinal tract are disturbed. Deficit manifested in the form of swelling of the gums and hyperemia of the oral cavity. If a person can get such a vitamin from citrus fruits, then for dogs are not an option. In the pet’s menu, it is desirable to include dairy products, lettuce, give raw carrots to gnaw. Also possible add a little ascorbic acid to food.
- Vitamin D. This “sun vitamin” is capable of produced only under the influence of ultraviolet rays. Therefore, after the winter period, its lack arises practically everyone has. It is worse for younger individuals, as this substance affects the development and functioning of the musculoskeletal system apparatus. If a growing body lacks vitamin D, then the animal develops rickets, as well as various pathological conditions in bone tissue. The first symptom of vitamin deficiency in this the case is a strange change in taste – the dog begins to eat ground, chalk. The disease requires mandatory UV irradiation and sunbathing. It is recommended to enrich the diet phosphorus salts, meat and bone meal, crushed eggshell. Vitamin D is found in eggs of hens, beef liver, milk products.
- Vitamin E. This vitamin prolongs youth and affects the functioning of the reproductive system. Its deficiency may become cause infertility. This vitamin in large quantities contains sprouted wheat and vegetable oil. If the first product it is problematic to feed the dog, then the oil can be added to daily diet.
- Vitamin K. Blood can be called the most valuable fluid in the body, and vitamin K is responsible for its condition. If in the body lack of this element, then we can talk about bad blood coagulability. In such a situation, there is a risk to the animal suffer from heavy blood loss, even when receiving small wounds. A large amount of vitamin K contains greens and fish flour.
To avoid complications associated with vitamin deficiencies, you should take care of a complete, balanced pet diet. At for ready-made feeds, choose a quality product that is suitable by age, size, breed characteristics. With natural if necessary, give the dog multivitamins and include diet is only healthy foods. As with the others diseases, vitamin deficiency is easier to prevent than to try to correct the damage caused to the body of the animal.