In dogs, the coat is the first indicator of its health, along with wet cold nose, good appetite and high activity. And naturally, when a dog’s hair falls out, Inexperienced pet owners may panic. What can speak this symptom and, most importantly, what to do in such situations?
- 1. The relationship between wool and health
- 2. Why does the dog lose hair
- 3. Hair loss not related to health and care
- 4. Preventive measures against hair loss
The relationship between wool and health
If there is a dog in the house, then part of the care is to look after her hair. It not only provides aesthetic and beautiful the appearance of the pet, but also allows you to identify signs in time excessive hair loss. This phenomenon is the reason for visiting the vet.
A healthy dog receiving appropriate care has hair falls twice a year – in the fall and in the spring, in connection with the seasonal molting. In other cases, loss of coat is a signal of that the pet has a health problem.
Specialists do not recommend during a natural change of coat intensively feed your pet with vitamins and a lot of healthy food, trying to prevent molting. Such zeal can become the cause of even greater problems, so it’s worth knowing the measure in everything.
Also, they are not advised to apply without consulting a specialist agents that stimulate the growth of wool, since if there is no special If necessary, the dog’s body will receive an “overdose” of substances. In addition, if the pet has serious problems in body, such therapy will only distract from the search for real causes of hair loss. Even with normal hair growth, the cause of its loss may remain in the body.
Most often, hair loss is not the only symptom and accompanied by lethargy, inactivity and hyperemia (redness) of the skin. In addition, you must pay attention to skin condition.
If we talk about internal violations, then this may be a failure in functional activity of the immune system, metabolic processes, lack of trace elements and vitamins, etc.
Why does a dog lose hair
If seasonal molting becomes lingering, the pet becomes sluggish, constantly sleeping and running a little on a walking animal. IN In this case, it is worth contacting a specialist for advice. Among the most common factors leading to canine prolapse wool, note the following:
- Improper nutrition. Among others, this the cause is most common. Quite often, pet owners do not aware of his dietary needs. For example, consider that dry food contains everything necessary for the dog’s body and no additional items required. However, even with such nutrition animal, especially during its active growth, bearing offspring, after diseases, must be added to food vitamin preparations and healthy foods. And it’s extremely important maintain balance so that the dog’s body is not oversaturated with them. Veterinarians especially recommend adding a small amount to your pet’s food. amount of olive oil, as contained in it unsaturated fatty acids improve structure wool coat.
- Parasitic organisms. Dogs throughout throughout life are at risk of infection with various parasites. Lice, fleas, scabies mites and more, they all negatively affect on the health of the pet, including the condition of the coat. If the dog constantly itching, tearing shreds of wool on the skin in places bald patches appear, coalesced sticks, then, most likely, the reason is this one. Most parasites are visible with the naked eye, but sometimes only a specialist can identify the culprit of hair loss. For special means are used for treatment – drops, shampoos, liquids, sprays. Veterinarians recommend, especially in the warm season years, wear a flea collar on your pet. May also be the dog’s whiskers in the coat.
- Ringworm. This pathology infectious nature is considered quite dangerous. Among the main symptoms are the formation of fungi, hyperemia and broken off ends of the hair, the accumulations of which form bald plots. In this case, only correctly conducted therapy will help. using antibiotics, competent rehabilitation period and good care. All this will contribute to the restoration of wool cover. Doctors warn that ringworm can become infected and man. Therefore, at the slightest manifestation, it is recommended consult a veterinarian.
- Allergic manifestations. Not only human prone to allergies, but also our brothers are smaller. And because of this, they may lose hair. Dry feed, medicines, hormonal contraceptives, detergents can provoke this state. Dogs with allergies often itch while trying to gnaw. wool, often enough while tearing the skin to blood.
- Immune system impairment. Attenuation immunity can occur for various reasons – after severe diseases, for example, dog plague, viral ailments, when infected helminthic invasions. Eliminating the root cause, you can tackle restoration of the immune system (how to do this, tell veterinarian) and coat will become healthy over time and previous density.
- The dog itself provokes hair loss. Excessive cleanliness can also cause hair loss. If a each time the pet licks its hair for a long time and carefully dirt, areas that are often treated in this way may blush, become irritated, or even be completely without wool. This behavior may indicate neurological violations and in this case, sedatives are prescribed and special protective devices.
- Improper hair care. These include following errors:
- Do not use detergents or shampoos that do not Designed for caring for dogs;
- it is not recommended to comb your pet more often than required features of caring for this breed;
- express methods to give the coat a perfect look in a short time can cause significant harm;
- Frequent washing can worsen the condition of the coat, as often skin balance is disturbed.
- Malfunctions of a hormonal nature. Main The reason for this condition is the regular intake of hormonal contraceptives. In addition, veterinarians note that among consequences of hormonal imbalance hair loss is the most insignificant in severity.
Dogs are very emotional creatures and you cannot sweep that the fact that the psychological state of the animal can affect the appearance of the coat. Strong hair loss can be due to stressful situations – surgical interventions, injuries, loss of the owner, getting used to a new home. Yes are there many reasons for a pet upset?
Often, representatives of breeds more suitable for living in aviary or outdoors and having a dense undercoat observed all-weather molting if they live in apartments. The same can other breeds suffer, but to a lesser extent.
In addition, dogs intended for the street, in most cases molt abundantly in the spring, at which time they can very often itching, as molting causes itching.
Specialists also found that representatives of longhair rocks molt much less frequently and less intensively than shorthair.
What can I say, the loss of pet hair delivers certain inconvenience to owners, especially when it comes to keeping a dog in the apartment. Is it possible to help a dog during this period and save himself from wool in the house?
Preventive measures against hair loss
First of all, the owner must be able to distinguish seasonal molt from disease-related hair loss. If in the first case combing the dog periodically enough, then the second can not do without professional inspection.
Do not try to treat yourself, but rather nevertheless pass tests and identify the exact cause of this phenomenon.
If the cause is an unstable hormonal background, then it is prescribed special hormone therapy. If the wool leaves the pet in the result of malnutrition, then again the vet will help him to adjust. Having compiled a full menu and setting if necessary, vitamin supplements, the doctor will help return the pet shiny and beautiful coat.