- Popularity: 1
- Training: 5
- Size: 7
- Mind: 5
- Security: 6
- Relations with children: 8
- Dexterity: 6
- Shedding: 7
Otterhound – an old breed associated with the bloodhound. is he used for otter hunting. The dog has a sharp nose and a large endurance.
Oterhound is a rare breed.
Large, strong, muscular dog. The head is big and narrow the muzzle is equal to the length of the skull with a large, black nose. Eyes are small and dark. The ears are large, long, hanging and covered with long hair. The tail is long. It has strong legs, large paws with interdigital membranes. Color black, gray, wheat, brown, black with brown.
- Otterhounds require a lot of exercise. Energetic daily training, running or swimming for several miles, necessary to maintain his physical and mental health.
- The Oterhounds are enthusiastic and loud barkers.
- You should not expect him to guard qualities – he is too friendly for this.
- A fenced yard is a must.
- Otterhound loves food and can become fat if you don’t control his diet.
- A large dog is expensive. Everything for a big dog costs more, from food to veterinary care help.
A dog with a very well-developed sense of smell, smart, funny, friendly and well balanced.
Oterhound gets along very well with other animals and people. is he very friendly with people, including strangers.
The dog is quite difficult to train, but with consistent, balanced, sustainable learning without being rough or heavy, you can get good results in training otterhound
Otterhound wool must be brushed every day. You may have to wash your beard because if you don’t keep it unpleasant odor can come out of it.
The dog is resistant to atmospheric changes. Otterhound loves to live outdoors in a fenced yard where he can freely move, but can adapt to life in the apartment, if will receive the necessary exercise. Dog breeds otterhound need socialization and professional training.
Otterhound may be prone to such diseases:
- gastric expansion (inversion of the intestines);
- hip dysplasia;
- canine idiopathic thrombocytopenia.
Otterhound is a good hunting dog and also a beautiful companion.
|Life span||10-13 years old|
|Height||Males: 65-69 cm Bitches: 57-61 cm|
|Weight||Males: 41-50 kg Bitches: 29-41 kg|
|Colour||black, gray, wheat, brown, black with brown|
|Price||400 – 800 $|