Neapolitan Mastiff, Italian Bulldog, Italian Mastiff, Mastino Napoletano
- Popularity: 3
- Training: 2
- Size: 10
- Mind: 2
- Security: 10
- Relations with children: 9
- Dexterity: 3
- Shedding: 7
It is one of the oldest breeds in the world. Neapolitan Mastiff favorite breed of Alexander the Great and they are descendants of fighting dogs that were used by the Romans in wars. Also their used in battles against bulls, bears and jaguars. Despite solid age of the breed, it was recognized only after the Second World War II.
Large, massive, energetic, well-built dog, with a strong, muscular body. She has a big head with a flat and wrinkled forehead. The muzzle is short, wide with a black and big nose. and thick lips. The head is covered with folds of skin and hangs on the sides. to the middle of the neck. Eyes deep set. Medium sized ears pointed and lowered. The tail is medium sized. Color may be black, mahogany, brindle.
- Neapolitan mastiffs feel better in houses with a yard, where they can patrol and spend their energy. They are calm in indoors, so they can feel good in an apartment if will receive the necessary exercises every day.
- Mastino’s are usually clumsy dogs that have problems with navigation.
- It is an excellent deterrent for intruders; it is rarely it is aggressive for no reason. Early socialization is necessary so that he knows how to behave next to other people and animals.
- Neapolitan mastiff can be lazy and can suffer obese if he does not receive the necessary exercises.
- Neapolitan Mastiff not recommended for inexperienced the owner.
- Neapolitan mastiffs have a number of habits that not everyone may like: drooling, wheezing, snorting.
- Folds on the face should be cleaned regularly to avoid infection. In addition, food debris may remain around the mouth, therefore, they must be cleaned daily.
Neapolitan mastiff, no matter how big or frightening, he is not aggressive. He is very affectionate, and amazing. gentle. However, the dog has a strong protective character, which gives the ability to use him as a guard or watchman dog.
Neapolitan Mastiff is a very loyal guardian and will protect your family and territory. This powerful breed gets along well with children, but should not be left unattended around small children. The breed also gets along with other pets if properly socialized and trained.
The dog is easy to train, but still training should be made by a person with experience. Training should be gentle well balanced, consistent and made with patience.
Training should begin at an early age to avoid dominance issues.
The dog is very easy to care for. Wool must be cleaned from the dead. hair during the molting period.
A large dog, therefore, needs space to move. She can adapt to life in the apartment because she has low activity, but its size should be taken into Attention.
Neapolitan mastiff may be prone to such diseases:
- hip dysplasia;
- elbow dysplasia;
- progressive retinal atrophy;
Mastino is a good watchman, as well as a great dog for protection.
|Life span||8-10 years|
|Height||Males: 63-77 cm Bitches: 58-70 cm|
|Weight||Males: 60-70 kg Bitches: 50-60 kg|
|Colour||black, mahogany, brindle|
|Group||fighting, guard, guard, guard|
|Price||1000 – 2200 $|