Soft-coated Wheaten Terrier, Irish Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier, Wheaten, Wheatie
- Popularity: 6
- Training: 5
- Size: 5
- Mind: 5
- Security: 8
- Relations with children: 9
- Dexterity: 7
- Shedding: 1
This dog has its origins in ancient breeds of dogs that lived in Ireland for thousands of years. They are believed by experts to be associated with Irish Terrier and Kerry Blue Terrier. The breed was used in as a universal dog for farmers. They destroyed parasites were guard dogs, shepherds of sheep and large cattle hunters on land and in water and restraining factor for violators.
Medium sized, reliable, maneuverable and strong dog. Head long, flat, covered with thick and soft hair. Middle eyes size, almond-shaped, dark brown. Ears are small, lowered and covered with wool. The tail is short. The dog has thick fur, which covers head, eyes and forms a beard. Color can take any shade of wheat.
- Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier can adapt practically to any kind of home, city or country, apartment or country housework.
- If you are clean, this breed is not for you. Wheat wool the terrier attracts dirt, debris and snow, which then delayed throughout the house.
- Soft-haired wheat terrier, as a rule, not aggressive breed and can get along with most dogs and other domestic animals. They will chase small, furry animals on street, including cats.
- Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier will bark if he sees or hears something suspicious.
- The wheaten terrier is not very warm. Keep it in indoors on hot days.
- Terriers love to dig and the wheat terrier is not an exception. Get ready for some “holes” in your yard.
- Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers want to be part of the family and not it is worth leaving it alone for a long period of time. This can lead to destructive behavior and barking.
- Give your wheat terrier at least 30 minutes daily workouts to keep him healthy and happy.
- Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier gets along very well with children.
Medium-haired Wheaten Terrier size, compact, manoeuvrable and powerful. They possess stamina and strength. This breed is more stable and more stable than most Terriers. Temperament. It’s brave, active and playful, smart and loving to learn, with confident and elegant movements of the dog. Sometimes he can be stubborn. He does not bark too much. Highly attached and dedicated to his master, loves children and usually accepts other dogs and other pets. This breed is rarely barks, however, because of their size and fidelity, they represent excellent dog for personal protection. They are very sensitive and reflect the mood of those around them.
The dog is very easy to train because it is smart and quickly realizes what she has to do. Training should be consistent, solid, but positive without being heavy. Her she must learn what is allowed and what is not, she loves sports Events. If they spend their energy daily on walks, they will be calm in the house.
Dogs of this breed do not fade, but they must be combed, time from time to time, so that the hair does not get tangled. Wool does not need to be trimmed.
The dog feels better outdoors, being pretty resistant to weather changes, but also adapts to conditions in apartment, if she receives the required amount daily classes and attention, because it has a high level of activity. She needs socialization and training.
Irish Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier is prone to such diseases:
- protein loss;
- protein loss enteropathy;
- Addison’s disease;
- renal dysplasia.
The dog is used for hunting small wild animals, for protection farms and houses and as a pleasant and loyal ally.
|Life span||12-15 years old|
|Height||Males: 46-48 cm Bitches: 43-46 cm|
|Weight||Males: 16-18 kg Bitches: 14-16 kg|
|Colour||any shade of wheat|
|Price||750 – 1300 $|