The inversion of the stomach in dogs cannot be called a rare pathology, it quite often diagnosed with friends of our four-legged. Moreover arises unexpectedly, develops rapidly, and the owner has just a few hours to deliver your pet to the veterinary clinic, otherwise the animal will die. How so dangerous is manifested pathological condition, and what methods are used for it treatment?
- 1. Causes of pathology
- 2. Symptoms of stomach upset in dogs
- 3. Diagnostic methods
- 4. Treatment of stomach upset
- 5. What can be confused with this condition?
Causes of pathology
This disease is due to the fact that, unlike human, dog’s stomach is very weakly fixed, except Moreover, it is located horizontally. All this is significant degree increases the risk of organ twisting around the esophagus and contributes to the development of concomitant complications. Like that the disease has not yet been fully studied, but experts still highlight a number of factors provoking gastric inversion:
- Dimensions, body weight and age of the dog. At large, massive individuals more intense stretching occurs internal ligaments, so they quickly lose their elasticity. They are not able to fix a filled organ in the desired position, which leads to its twisting.
- An unbalanced diet. Dogs, in fact, are predators, which many owners forget, including in their the menu is a lot of cereals and vegetables, or feed the dog low-quality dry feed. Both that, and another – it is wrong as 70-75% The pet’s diet should consist of meat ingredients. Dog not gets the necessary components and begins to eat more, which increases the load on the digestive tract. The walls of the stomach strongly stretch, thin out, their elasticity decreases.
- Irregular, rare meals. Dogs, receiving food once a day or less, are at risk for inversion of the stomach.
- Eat fast food. Pets that actively, practically without chewing, consume food, swallow a lot of excess air, because of which the organ expands.
- Walking immediately after feeding. If the owner feeds the pet and immediately leads him to the street, then the stomach is full undigested food, can stretch and curl when the dog is actively moving.
- Heredity. If the puppy’s parents suffered from a similar pathology, then he can have it later manifest itself.
- Stressful situations. According to statistics, from inversion often affects anxious, restless dogs that have suffered jar of Hearts.
More often, gastric inversion develops in representatives of large and giant breeds: bullmastiffs, Dobermans, Labradors, etc.
Symptoms of stomach upset in dogs
Pathology is developing so fast that already within an hour or two, the dog has severe symptoms:
- general condition deteriorates sharply (with activity after feeding);
- the pet is worried, constantly fiddling in search of a more convenient poses that can reduce pain symptoms;
- frequent bouts of vomiting with copious discharge of salivary mucosa fluids that do not stop after emptying the stomach;
- abdominal volume increases rapidly when listening strong gas formation can be detected, but at the same time there is no intestinal activity;
- there is a blue or pallor of the conjunctiva, nasal mucosa, jaws, genitals;
- shortness of breath appears;
- body temperature goes down;
- due to the fact that pathology leads to vascular pressure and nerve trunks, the dog is getting harder and harder to climb.
The owner, who discovered a similar condition of the pet, unfortunately, alone can not help him. It’s not important here get confused and take him to the veterinary as soon as possible the clinic.
First of all, the veterinarian examines the dog, probes peritoneum. After he collects an anamnesis, interviewing the owner, especially important information is what the dog ate, how long and how much.
As the main diagnostic method, an x-ray is prescribed peritoneum. Usually this is enough to identify violations. In some clinics, instead of radiological ultrasound procedure.
It is possible to confirm the occurrence of gastric upset if you enter gastric tube. Excess gas escaping through the tube stomach, which provides short-term relief. But gas accumulation continues, and after some time the abdominal the cavity swells again. This is a clear sign gastric obstruction.
Naturally, such a procedure requires certain skills, so it should be carried out by a specialist.
Treatment of stomach upset
No pills and physiotherapy can save an animal from this pathological condition. Required the procedure for the operation. And the sooner it will be diagnosed inversion and the four-legged patient is operated on, the more the likelihood that the pet will recover.
Intervention is carried out urgently, in some cases by surgeons puncture the abdominal wall to release excess air and lowering pressure on the organ.
The operation includes the following steps:
- the surgeon cuts a small area of the abdominal wall;
- gives the twisted body a normal position;
- fixes the stomach using special technology, in further not allowing the body to turn around – hem it to abdominal wall;
- through the probe, the specialist empties and flushing the affected organ;
- if in the process of operational manipulation dead tissue, then their excision is required;
- finally, the abdominal cavity is washed with antiseptic means, examines for bleeding;
- at the end of the procedure, if the surgeon makes sure that the complications no, he sutures the incision.
After surgery, four-legged patient prescribe a number of tests and ultrasound to identify possible violations in the work of the digestive tract. If pathologies were detected, then the doctor deals with their treatment. In certain situations after surgery, the patient needs parenteral nutrition.
The duration of the rehabilitation period due to many factors – the severity of the disease, the presence of complications and other ailments, age characteristics of the dog. Young animals rehabilitate much faster than their older ones brethren. Usually the animal is in a hospital for 2-3 days, in a complicated condition for recovery It takes about 4-5 days.
The pet must starve for two days, daily its seams are being processed. The wound remaining after the operation closes bandage. To avoid the development of infection, the dog is prescribed antibacterial agents, in addition, the doctor may recommend taking supportive and antiemetic medications. Suture material is removed after 10-14 days.
What can I confuse with this condition?
Symptoms of inversion are similar to symptoms of acute expansion of the stomach. Only in the second pathological state does not the organ twist occurs, there is only its swelling due to accumulated gases. At sharp expansion it is enough to use the probe, less often gases are released by puncture of the walls of the stomach – a specialist pierces the organ a sharp needle, and through the holes the gases exit.
Procedures relieve the patient from unpleasant manifestations. Given the violation is not dangerous, but very often after such pathology develops an inversion, so the dog needs survey.
Stomach upset is a serious pathology, the development of which is much easier to prevent than after sending the four-legged pet to operating table. The owner should take care of the right, full nutrition of the dog, following certain rules, and provide good conditions. It should be especially carefully treat older animals, because they are much more difficult to cope with with all kinds of diseases.