Modern veterinary medicine is introducing more and more technological methods for detecting in pets pathology and disease. One such technique, differing high accuracy and informative, is ultrasonic study. For people, this procedure has become quite familiar. a phenomenon, but for dogs it is made not so long ago. But how veterinarians and dog owners have already appreciated all the advantages Events. After all, establishing the correct diagnosis is half success in eliminating the disease.
- 1. Why and when is appointed
- 2. How to prepare your pet for the procedure
- 3. Ultrasound during pregnancy
- 4. How is the procedure
Why and when appointed
Ultrasound is prescribed in various cases, with its help you can examine any organs and systems: liver, kidney, urinary tissue bladder, pancreas, prostate. Ultrasound allows detect abnormal formations even at the very beginning of their development. This makes it possible to detect benign tumors. character before they turned into malignant.
Diagnostic examination is safe and speed, does not require a long decryption of the result. Ultrasound dog prescribed in the following cases:
- if the dog is carrying offspring;
- when the pet is injured – an ultrasound allows you to identify received damage;
- if there is a suspicion of the development of urolithiasis;
- with oncological pathologies to detect tumors;
- in the postpartum period to rule out complications;
- if there are symptoms of any disease.
Ultrasound diagnosis is carried out in many veterinary clinics, and in some there is a service of specialist departure with equipment to the house. In addition, this technique does not require surgical interventions, does not violate the integrity of tissues – as inside and out, it’s painless. If during the examination if a tumor is detected, then there is the possibility conduct a biopsy almost immediately.
How to prepare your pet for the procedure
Despite the fact that ultrasound does not require complex preparations, some nuances should still be consider:
- The hair will be removed directly from the studied areas. before an ultrasound.
- To obtain accurate results of examination of the peritoneal organs and areas in the retroperitoneal space, it is better to study the pet bring hungry. The minimum fasting period should be 6 hours, or even better – 5-6 hours more, since a small treat will lead to a reflex release of enzymes digestion, and then to the formation of gas in the intestines.
- Before an ultrasound of the tissues of the liver or peritoneum, for 2-3 hours, it is necessary restrict your pet from drinking, as swallowing can cause that the gallbladder is empty. And it significantly reduces the reliability of the result.
- To reduce gas formation before the procedure, for several days it is worth adjusting the dog’s diet – exclude from the menu foods that can cause fermentation in the intestines.
- Before the study, you can give your pet such a couple of days agents like Espumisan, Subsimplex or activated carbon.
If the uterus or bladder is examined, then the pet must bring to the procedure with a filled bubble. For this it is impossible to go to the toilet 4-5 hours before the ultrasound. If a similar condition difficult to perform, then you can use diuretics action or resort to filling the bladder with saline through a catheter.
If feces accumulate in the colon, then before the study should take the pet for a long walk. If the dog is tormented by constipation, then before visiting the veterinary clinic You can make an enema and drink liquid paraffin.
For maximum visualization, it is important that the dog accepts the correct position. Usually, a pet is placed on its side or back. If the dog is scared and does not want to take the required position, then additional assistants may be required. But better still will be if the owners themselves keep and calm.
Ultrasound during pregnancy
In this difficult period for the animal, not only is important additional care and nutrition, but also diagnosing the condition. By more if the dog has health problems or is observed pedigree tendency to complicated labor.
The most effective way to examine the ongoing pregnancy the dog is an ultrasound scan. Using this techniques can assess the condition of the fetal bladder, embryos, fruits and their structural elements.
Diagnostics through ultrasound during gestation offspring for dogs can be carried out starting from a 15-day period after ovulation. However, to get more accurate and detailed data, ultrasound is best done from the 24th day of pregnancy, when in future puppies (until the embryo) appears palpitations. From this period in addition, it will be possible to fix their motor activity, heart activity and other indicators.
Thanks to the research, it will be possible to know in advance about the approximate number of offspring, the size of puppies and their location, as well as determine the term of delivery. 1 month after Fertilization Ultrasound gives a result whose accuracy, without a small is 100%. If any irregularities are detected within pregnancy, then appropriate therapy is prescribed or surgical intervention.
- pregnancy in dogs;
- how to clean the dog’s ears.
How is the procedure
Technologically, ultrasound is not is a complex manipulation. And the difficulties may be greater psychological character – the pet will feel uncomfortable in the clinic. But if you don’t want to disturb your pet, As already noted, you can call the veterinarian home. But wherever the procedure was not carried out, the algorithm of actions is the same:
- The dog is laid on a diaper (preferably taken from home disposable, sealed).
- If abundant, long coat, then shave it off. In the event that at home it is impossible to do this under conditions; manipulation is performed under conditions clinics.
- The examination area is smeared with a gel agent that improves sensor conductivity.
- The sensor is applied to the skin, and the veterinarian guides them over surface, evaluating the data reflected on the monitor.
Since the procedure is absolutely painless and does not deliver particular discomfort to the animal, the owner of the dog must be assembled and calm. The fussiness and anxiety of the owner will lead to the fact that the dog will be stressed, which may cause difficulty diagnosing. Regardless of what is being investigated – liver, bladder, or gestational age, the duration of the procedure is a maximum of 15-20 minutes.
If the diagnostic time is delayed, then we can talk about inexperience of a specialist. In addition, difficulties may arise. due to outdated equipment. In this case, you should resort to the services of another clinic that has at its disposal high-quality modern equipment. With a serious approach the veterinarian will explain what and how he sees, can show possible deviations on the monitor with accompanying explanations.
After the procedure, the gel is wiped off the surface of the skin. After some time, the specialist should give the result in the form ultrasound scan, voice diagnosis. If required, it will be assigned additional diagnostics and tests.
Ultrasound – despite all the safety, is quite serious test for the dog. After all, animals are more sensitive to any changes in atmosphere and contacts with strangers. Therefore important not skimp on praise, and you can also give your pet a treat, because he really deserved it!