Dogs, like any pets, need grooming. And if with nutrition and walking more or less clear, then, how right to care for the dog’s hair, namely to comb it out? IN There are a lot of nuances on this issue, because representatives of canines have the most different fur coats – with long hair, short, curly or even rope. What knowledge should be armed, and what Will you need tools for this procedure?
- 1. Tools for combing dogs
- 2. Combing different types of wool
- 2.1. Video about the correct combing of dogs:
- 3. General recommendations for combing dogs
Dog combing tools
There are many different means that can to keep the pet’s coat in perfect shape: it is both combs and slickers, and koltunorezy, and scallops, etc.
The most common tools, of course, are combs. But, of course, we are talking about special tools, suitable for wool, and certain requirements:
- Any comb for animals must have blunt teeth, otherwise it will damage the skin. You can check its safety at yourself, running the teeth in the palm of your hand, if the teeth hooked on the skin or there was an unpleasant sensation, then such a tool does not fits.
- Choose a tool with teeth less than pet hair.
- It is recommended to purchase at least two combs – for primary processing (removal of tangles, unraveling of fallen sites) and final processing.
- Comb comb, the teeth of which are very frequent (distance between 0.5 mm), designed to comb out parasites. However, when the presence of a dense coat to use it for its intended purpose is not succeed, but apply it when molting to remove the old wool is quite possible.
If the pet has a long, silky coat, it’s better give preference to a massage brush, for dogs with short hair a brush with bristles is suitable, in appearance resembling an attribute for cleaning clothes or shoes.
Another important subject – “slicker”, helps to cope with plain thick coat. Their working surface is made of metal.
As with combs, the teeth should be dull in the slicker. IN for sale you can find a similar tool in a variety of sizes, but experts do not recommend purchasing the largest. They are not only do not speed up the combing process, but are not very convenient in operation. For the average dog, a slicker with sides 6-7 is suitable cm, for a larger pet – a little more. At the choice is to evaluate the strength of the landing of the teeth, they should not hang out freely.
Choppers – this tool allows you to reliably get rid of troubles such as falling down tricks. But they do not cut nodes, and they are untangled. This is actually a great helper for owners of long-haired pets, as almost always during combing has to deal with lumps of wool.
3 types of chippers
Stainless steel chippers are made. They are equipped handles convenient for use. Like the rest of the tools, this device is selected based on the size of the pet and length his coat.
Scaffolds – got such a name for their appearance. Among the people have a name – “rake”. This is one of the most essential care products. fixtures. Here, when choosing, you need to focus on the length of the teeth, the longer the fur, the longer the teeth should be. Combs perfectly comb hair, and in addition, clean skin cover the animal from dead cells and remove old hair in molting period.
During use, it is necessary to keep the “rake” at an angle to in relation to the dog so as not to damage the skin.
Rubber or silicone gloves, brushes are used for care for smooth-haired dogs, not burdened with a thick undercoat. They are convenient to get rid of dead hair during seasonal molting. For the same purposes, you can use a small segment suede fabric.
High technology has touched animal care products, and The host is a confirmation of this. The tool is made of stainless steel, and the plastic handle is equipped with a rubber braid anti slip. According to research, at a time can remove up to 90% of old wool.
The finisher does not damage the skin and does not affect new hair and suitable for almost all breeds, except those that have a minimum the volume of the undercoat or do without it at all. Fixture is very just apply, just move it without effort in the direction hair growth.
Read how to properly care for your dog.
Combing different types of wool
In nature, there are six types of dog hair, so it’s important know what type of pet is in order to care for it correctly:
- The coat is “plain”. Differs in average length and density. Its owners include many breeds, for example, huskies, labradors, German shepherds, spitz dogs. Wool double – long and stiffer on the outside, soft and shorter on the inside (undercoat). how and other breeds shed such dogs twice a year and this period it is necessary to comb out the dogs as often as possible to help get rid of dead hair. The rest of the time combing out It is made no more than 2-3 times a week.
- Non-shedding stiff coat. Nature disposed in such a way that these breeds lost their property change coat. But still it is necessary for them to help get rid of old cover, however, combing out here will not help. Here plucking is carried out – trimming. This procedure is necessary. to terriers, schnauzers, wire-haired terriers and some more representatives of rare breeds.
- The coat is smooth. Despite the meager wool shorthair dogs can molt intensively, moreover, to remove their wool from carpets and furniture is very not easy. They are combed out with special rubber brushes, but slicker in this case is not useful. Such care is suitable for dachshunds, Dobermans, Dolmatins, Rottweilers, Bulldogs, etc.
- Wool “curly” non-shedding. Possess her poodles, some types of terriers. The main care product in this case – a haircut. Combing is carried out, of course, too, especially often during molting. A slicker or wire brush is used surface.
- The coat is long. The breeds that wear it quite spectacular and always attract eyes – these are Afghan greyhounds, briar, setters, long-haired collies and sheltie, spaniels and others. To make the coat look well-groomed, daily combing with a comb with rare teeth. Plus of such dogs is that their rich undercoat is suitable for yarn and knitting warm clothes, healing belts than some owners Pet is happy and enjoy.
- Atypical coat. If you happen to be owner of a pet of an exotic breed with a unique wool with a cover, for example, twisted in the form of bundles, like a bullet, then in in this case, it’s unlikely to be able to figure out on their own what to do with dog hair. The consultation of the breeder will help or specialist in this matter.
Video about the correct combing of dogs:
General recommendations for combing dogs
Needless to say, almost all are subject to combing dog breeds, except for a few exotic ones. It’s not only bringing the dog in proper form, but also a hygienic procedure, removes insects that have penetrated into the hair, including parasitic, elimination of old hairs, dirt and dust. And besides Moreover, this is an excellent massage of the skin that improves subcutaneous blood circulation.
In order for the dog to calmly endure the combing of wool, it follows him, attach to this matter as soon as possible. Especially to many breeds hair care is required from an early puppy’s age. To not to scare away the animal, it is necessary to use suitable tools, then the dog will feel a minimum of discomfort, and after events do not skimp on affection, kind words and, of course, refreshment.
Here are some suggestions on how to make the procedure most fruitful:
- You need to start the procedure with a comb with rare teeth (this is not refers to animals with short hair).
- In long-haired dogs or breeds with long hair, some areas of the body, it is important to pay special attention: the area of the ears (applies to spaniels and setters), muzzle (schnauzers, lapdogs), hind limbs, where the wool forms the so-called pants, and tail.
- After combing, it is recommended to use a special brush, leading it in the direction of growth of the coat. You need to start with heads, brush on the back, processing the sides and ending on paws.
- Sledger is most often used for dogs with the usual type coat, but for long-haired dogs this tool better not to apply.
If combing a pet seems a little unattractive and I don’t want to carry out the procedure myself or not time, you can seek help from a specialist – groomer. Armed with a special tool, he is able to bring in order even the most neglected coat.
In addition, the specialist will be able to help if the dog climbed into thorns, fix the consequences of an unsuccessful haircut and, most importantly – prepare your pet for an important event in a short time.