Dogs, due to the characteristics of the breed, require different care. For some rare bathing and brushing, for there are very few others – they need a visit dog hairdresser. But there is another group of pets, which is not recommended to cut. In order for dog hair to be beautiful and well-groomed, you need another procedure, which is called trimming. What is it and for which dogs is it necessary?
- 1. Why Trimming?
- 2. Is it possible to replace trimming with a haircut
- 3. Special tools for trimming
- 4. Trimming the Fox Terrier on the video
- 5. The basics of proper trimming
Dog breeds having a hard coat – from the group terriers and schnauzers, lost the ability to molt themselves. Dead hair remains in a wool coat, and to get rid of pet, you need to trim every six months – plucking old hairs.
First of all, this manipulation relates to hygienic procedures, as old caked wool often becomes the cause of skin irritations causing discomfort to the animal. AND, Of course, this procedure makes the dog’s coat tidier and well maintained.
In principle, the owner is able to independently verify whether is it time for trimming a pet. To do this, you need a little grab a bunch of wool, holding it with your fingers, and pull. In that case, when part of the hair is left between the fingers, then it’s time pluck out dead hairs.
This procedure can be done independently, if there is time, patience and special tools. Otherwise worth contact a specialist, especially if it comes to preparing for exhibition or competition. Only knowledgeable breed standards a person can do everything accordingly.
Can trimming be replaced with a haircut
Some coarse-haired pet owners not participating in exhibitions, consider that only such a procedure is needed show-class dogs, and the usual cutting
But it is not so. If a dog with such a specific coat trimmed with a cover, then it can forever lose its properties. Even a single treatment with scissors can make wool, of course soft and fluffy, but at the same time its thinning and weakening.
This is due to the fact that hard hair has an interesting structure – finer in the base area, and at the end thickened. After removal by plucking, it grows in its place exactly the same hair. And if you cut it with scissors, then it grows from remaining thin base.
It is possible to restore the original structure of the coat however, this will take a lot of time and effort, and in addition, Only a professional groom can do this.
It is necessary to begin recovery with regular plucking overgrown soft hairs and this should be done extremely carefully. After 10-14 days, the procedure is repeated. Removing with your fingers matured coat, you can return to the original structure wool, however, it will never be perfect.
Dogs with stiff coat appeared as a result of natural breeding, this cover was possessed by pets involved in hunting. it was their protection against moisture, precipitation, wind, and also from prickly plants and shrub branches.
Of course, at that time there was no question of trimming. Dead hair was removed thanks to the same bushes with thorns along which the dogs getting to the prey. Pet owners could only eliminate wool in places where it was more difficult to get.
New owners are in doubt, and suddenly their pet Feel the hellish pains while trimming? But these fears absolutely in vain. Of course, the first procedures will force the dog worry, because everything is new. However experienced in this matter animals can even sleep on the grummer table, right during manipulations with wool.
There are some of the most vulnerable places on the body of an animal, which trimming will deliver not painful sensations, but some discomfort is the inner surface of the hips and armpits. Sometimes dogs are anxious during treatment of the head and neck areas. But to a greater extent, pets tolerate such manipulations calmly, and discontent arises as a demonstration of his temperament.
Special Trimming Tools
Needless to say, it is better to give preference excellent quality professional tools that cost expensive, but working with them is much easier and more enjoyable. Will be required following devices:
- Folding table that is specially for trimming covered with rough material. It is quite compact and after The procedure is folded and cleaned. The table is also suitable for use at exhibitions if the pet is predicted a similar career. Naturally, they will have to use more than one year, so It is worth considering the purchase of a quality table.
- Combs – a tool is suitable for trimming of metal, having two sets of teeth – small and large. Them used for combing wool on the legs and skirt.
- Slicker brush – it is used to remove dead hairs, in addition, it is also necessary for regular combing a pet, for laying wool when drying with a hairdryer, with it stack wool during exhibitions. It must be chosen based on from the type of wool, the teeth of such a brush are made of wire. For this type of rock, too hard a tool is not suitable. And not it is necessary to take a slicker with a large surface – 5 by 10 cm will do.
- Trimming knife. Let out great many similar tools. You can buy a knife for use with your left or right hand. Naturally, only practice can show what is most convenient, the main thing is that he copes with plucking and in no case cut the hairs. To work the same you will need two types of knives – one with medium-length teeth, for processing the body of the dog, and the second – with small teeth, so that remove hair in the head, ears, chest.
- Trimming stones are also kind of knives, but are used at the end of the procedure or for plucking wool puppies.
- Powder, crayons for grooming – increase traction with wool, eliminate slipping, thereby simplifying task. You can purchase special tools or use in For these purposes, the usual powder.
- The cot is another fixture for amenities are available in silicone, latex. Their task is not allow irritation and corpus callosum.
Trimming the Fox Terrier on video
The Basics of Proper Trimming
Like any animal manipulation, trimming has some nuances that owners should know about in advance.
Growing, at a certain point, stiff hair becomes more fine, this process, on average, occurs 6 months after plucking procedures. But here, there may be a difference in terms, based on breed features.
A healthy, well-groomed pet has a dense coat, shines, not being divided into separate locks, does not puff. But on over time, the hair becomes thinner, becomes faded. These are sure signs of the need for trimming. It remains only choose whether to do it yourself, or resort to services professional grummer.
Dogs belonging to varieties of breeds of Schnauzer and Terriers medium and small sizes, begin to pluck already four months of age at least twice, maximum four times in throughout the year. Large purebred puppies are trimmed with six months. The most convenient time for trimming is spring and autumn the season when the rest of the dogs have a seasonal molt.
If we are talking about preparatory manipulations for the exhibition, then it is necessary to carry out the procedure 1.5-2 months before the event. For slow hair growth, processing can be carried out 3 months before Exhibitions.
It is necessary to start plucking wool from the back of the head, moving towards the tail. The neck is trimmed first from the side parts, and then from above, the sides are from top to bottom, and then comes the back. The hips are only processed to the hock area, shoulder blades to the elbow joint, the tail begins to pluck from above.
The animal does not immediately get used to the event, at first it worries and nervous, in this case, it is better to trim in stages, giving animal rest.
Future dog owners who do not molt must be Ready for trimming to be a must allowing the pet to look good and avoid skin problems. If there is no desire to engage in such care, or if there is no possibility seek help from veterinarians, it is better to give preference less demanding breed care.