Dogs, like humans, can get sick, including skin ailments. And if the animal has lesions on the skin, the owners, first of all, suspect that it is lichen. However, this is not the only disease that can develop in a pet. Certain diseases can be transmitted to humans, while others are purely canine. What can provoke skin diseases in a dog how to recognize whether an illness is dangerous or not?
- 1. Causes of skin diseases in dogs
- 2. Skin pathologies associated with the immune system
- 3. Dermatitis of various origins
- 4. Dermatitis caused by fungus
- 5. Skin diseases caused by ticks
- 6. Prevention of skin diseases in dogs
Causes of Skin Diseases in Dogs
Among the most common factors contributing to development skin ailments, the following can be noted:
- Improper nutrition. If the dog’s food does not contain proper amounts of vitamins and minerals, this will adversely affect general condition of the animal, including on the skin. At the selection of the diet, it is advisable to consult with an experienced breeder or by the veterinarian.
- The negative impact of the environment. A dog living in the city breathing polluted air, walking in winter without blankets, which would protect the pet from chemicals, is unlikely to have healthy skin. But if the dog is not displayed at all, it’s also adversely affect her skin.
- Inherited diseases. Some dog breeds (dogue de bordeaux, chow chow, bulldog, poodle, etc.) predisposition to skin inflammation.
Atopic dermatitis in dogs
Recently, not only in humans but also in animals more and more often autoimmune diseases are detected, as well as many various allergic manifestations. Most often from such ailments representatives of small breeds suffer, moreover, many of them have hereditary predisposition to them.
The most common disease of this type can be called atopic dermatitis. This, in essence, is the body’s response to external irritants – flowering plants, allergenic food, medicines and other substances that surround us.
The percentage of incidence of this disease is high enough, he affects about 15% of all dogs, regardless of their breed, age and physiology.
It is important not to confuse atopic dermatitis with the usual allergic reaction. It is primarily characterized by education inflamed skin areas that occupy a large area and practically non-healing.
On the sides of the dog, belly, and later throughout the body appear balding spots with flaky skin, you can often observe vesicles filled with turbid purulent exudate. Wherein inflammation develops quickly enough, and the disease penetrates deeper layers of the epidermis.
Against the background of atopic dermatitis, diseases may appear, caused by pathogenic fungi. Diagnosis of this disease – a very difficult task, therefore, in case of symptoms you should immediately seek advice from qualified veterinarian.
Dermatitis of various origins
Traumatic dermatitis in dogs
Inflammation of the skin can be caused by the most various irritants. The following classification exists disease:
- allergic dermatitis, including flea;
- traumatic dermatitis – appears if the skin is long time is affected by any negative factor;
- inflammatory process that affects the folds of the skin – prone dogs with excess skin – chow chow, mastino neapolitan, sharpei, bulldogs.
Flea dermatitis is the first in the list, as infection fleas in dogs is not a rare phenomenon. Digging into the skin, these parasites along with saliva launch harmful animals into the animal’s body substances. The body naturally responds to such an invasion – bites swell, redness appears, possibly increasing temperature. In most cases, the dog combs itching bites, which leads to the appearance of abscesses, i.e. purulent dermatitis.
Also, contact types of the disease are often found, with which inflammation appears when it enters the skin irritating substances. Most often, the lesion is localized in the area the abdomen.
If we talk about dermatitis, which affects the skin folds, then the initial stage of the disease is very difficult to detect. Originally in folds appear minor diaper rash, which later the infection penetrates, and the affected areas of the skin begin to rot. IN In this case, you can feel the unpleasant odor coming from animal, the dog becomes lethargic, body temperature is significantly increasing. Once this disease is detected, it is important how it’s possible to deliver the sick pet to the veterinarian faster since the percentage of death with dermatitis of the skin folds is enough high
Trichophytosis (ringworm) in dogs
If you delve into the details, there are several forms similar dermatitis, which are combined in one group – dermatomycosis.
Trichophytosis – dermatitis caused by pathogenic fungi, occurs more often than others and is best known as “ringworm”. The dog can become infected with this disease. man. Carriers are not only infected animals, but also bloodsucking insects. The disease can affect dogs of any breed and sizes, however, it is most easily transmitted to pets with a short woolly coat.
Among the main symptoms, the following can be distinguished:
- round spots appear on the body, asymmetrically located;
- the surface of the affected areas peels off, forming on the surface of the “cigarette ash”;
- in places of localization of the disease, concentric circles.
The treatment of fungal dermatitis is quite complex and should Appointed only by a veterinarian. Therapy is complex and includes The following steps:
- the introduction of vaccine preparations, for example, Wackderm;
- external application of ointments, most often prescribed Yam;
- the introduction of the antifungal agent Griseofulvin, which is very toxic, therefore accurate is very important dosage.
It is worth remembering that if a sick animal lives in an apartment, then the whole room, bedding, clothes and household items it is necessary to disinfect, since the fungus can last time to live outside the carrier, waiting for a suitable candidate.
Tick-borne skin diseases in dogs
Among the ailments caused by the smallest parasites, the most known is demodicosis. Mites multiply intensively, forming giant colonies on the territory of hair follicles and sebaceous glands. Adults feed on living cells of the body, and their larvae with dead remains.
Diagnosing a disease is not difficult, as it accompanied by bright enough specific symptoms:
- the skin at the lesion is hyperemic;
- bald patches appear;
- the skin is covered with scales;
- with the further development of the disease, scabies and skin appear eroded;
- there are a large number of bubbles with purulent content.
In most cases, the dog is affected by skin in the area heads.
Veterinarians and doctors still have not figured out what is becoming the cause of demodicosis – some believe that it is transmitted when contact with an infected individual, others that ticks are everywhere, and sick pet with weakened immunity.
Practice shows that both theories have the right to existence, since the disease takes place in two forms:
- Focal – several foci appear on the body (3-4). In this situations are often self-healing, provided additional strengthening of immunity.
- Generalized – the body is covered with multiple damage that subsequently covers the entire surface body. In this case, a high probability of general intoxication organism. Ticks, penetrating deeper and deeper, may appear and on the internal organs.
Treatment of the second form is carried out only in a clinical setting. Therapy is long, expensive and at the same time remains high. risk of relapse.
Dog Skin Disease Prevention
Of course, protecting from all the misfortunes of pets will not work, but all it is possible to significantly reduce the risks of infection. What can be done for this to undertake?
- provide the dog with good nutrition;
- during off-season, with poor health and others situations to give the pet vitamin complexes;
- prevent the dog from communicating with stray relatives;
- monitor the condition of the skin and general health pet
- keep the dog clean, wash and clean the coat on time.
If you follow these simple rules, then it is quite possible protect your beloved pet from any misfortune, especially from skin ailments.