If the dog is young and has no health problems, then Her spontaneous abortion, most likely, will not happen. but current trends in uncontrolled dog breeding have led to unfortunately, to the spread of this pathological phenomenon. If a there was a desire to tie your pet, and experience in this matter no, it is recommended to get advice from professional breeders or veterinarians who are able to give consultation during the entire period of gestation by the dog offspring.
- 1. Reasons for a miscarriage in a dog
- 2. Symptoms of a miscarriage in a dog
- 3. What to do with a dog miscarriage
Causes of a Dog Miscarriage
The reasons that a miscarriage occurs, in fact a lot, but among the most common it should be noted the following:
- Abnormal development of puppies. Not so in dogs often puppies with physical disabilities are born on time or genetic abnormalities. This phenomenon is observed due to that the body is trying to tear away as soon as possible pathological embryos. There are also cases when partial fading of pregnancy, then stop developing only those fruits that have flaws, the rest grow and are born on time. In this case, the bitch needs regular fetal monitoring using ultrasound.
- Pathological development of the uterus. Organ defect can be both congenital and acquired. In the first case, this occurs during intrauterine growth of the dog, in the second causes can be injuries, infectious diseases character, chronic ailments affecting internal organs, etc. For serious pathologies of the uterus, a bitch is recommended to sterilize.
- Diseases caused by infections. Infectious pathogens are the most common cause of abortion or the birth of a non-viable litter. Therefore, experts before mating it is recommended to conduct a diagnostic study of future parents. Timely vaccination of the pet is also important.
- Parasitic insects and worms. According to According to statistics, worms, fleas or ticks are found in 70% dogs. They infect the body with toxic substances, negatively affecting the intrauterine development of offspring. Must before mating to gobble the animal and treat it from ticks and fleas.
- Underweight or overweight. Dog that will soon become a mother, must have excellent physical shape. At malnourished or, conversely, an obese animal miscarriages happen much more often. In most cases, a pregnant female has throughout pregnancy there is a great appetite, so her refusal from food is a wake-up call.
- Bad age for procreation. Often dogs have a miscarriage with too early or late mating. These indicators are individual for each breed, but in any case don’t bitch a bitch in first heat.
- Injury to the animal or excessive physical load. The dog “in position” needs long walking, but they must take place at a calm pace, without active games and training. It is also worth taking care that the animal does not injured in everyday life.
- Taking medications. During use of most drugs contraindicated, but if their use is necessary, then take they should only be consulted by a veterinarian.
Symptoms of a miscarriage in a dog
Usually, an upcoming abortion is accompanied by a number of symptoms, which can be recognized by monitoring the condition of the pet:
- sluggish bitch, quickly tired;
- eating poorly or completely from eating;
- may increase body temperature;
- if pain in the abdomen is tormented, then the animal begins to arch your back.
In some cases, an abortion in an animal is released pathological exudate – bloody, with pus, dark green or black, with a fetid odor. There are also cases where only part of the non-viable fruits comes out, and the rest remain in the uterus and continue to grow and develop.
- how to teach a puppy a toilet;
- how to painlessly euthanize a dog;
- Caesarean section in dogs.
What to do with a miscarriage in a dog
If we talk about first aid, then at the slightest sign the abnormal course of pregnancy the dog must be delivered to medical institution. This is the first thing to take care of. the owner of the dog. In clinical conditions, the expectant mother is examined, they will take a number of tests – biochemistry, thyroid hormone analysis, general urine and blood tests will conduct serological testing.
It is important to eliminate physical activity when there is a risk of disruption. And if infectious pathogens cause malaise, then in therapy includes antibiotics. The dog should be in clinic and if abortion has already occurred, because it is necessary to find out if all the puppies are out and whether it remains in the uterus placenta. This is usually determined by radiography and ultrasound examination.
If an infection has entered the uterus, then antibacterial funds and prostaglandins. In the case when the owners do not they’re going to get posterity from their dog, removal of the uterus and ovaries is recommended.
However, when it comes to a breeding dog intended for further reproduction of offspring, it is important to establish what provoked a miscarriage. In this situation, a series of analyzes bacteria and viruses, as well as a cytological examination vaginal material.
A miscarriage in a dog is a serious pathology, but with the right complications can be avoided.