A estrus, barren or estrus is a process in which a female’s body prepares for mating and reproduction of offspring. In dogs it is the phenomenon is infrequent, can take place from 1 to 3 times a year, but quite long – lasts an average of 2 to 3 weeks. Of course all females flow differently – in some it is accompanied by obvious signs, others pass unnoticed. But in any case, if there is a prolonged estrus in the dog, which lasts longer than 4 weeks, medical attention is required. Moreover, in the veterinary the clinic should be contacted even if the pet doesn’t bother, and she looks quite healthy.
- 1. The mechanism of lingering estrus
- 2. The main signs of excessively long estrus
- 3. Various types of lingering heat
- 4. Therapy of lingering estrus
If we consider the protracted estrus from the medical side, then this the process is associated with an overabundance of estrogen hormones. Like that violation negatively affects the functions of the reproductive organs, provokes the development of chronic endometritis, cystic endometrial hyperplasia, vaginal mucosa, and can also significantly increase the period of idleness.
An excessively long estrus is considered an endocrine functional disorders that are associated with changes in organ morphology reproductive system.
The main signs of excessively long estrus
Most often, the owner himself begins to notice that with his dog something is going wrong:
- sex drive lasts longer than usual;
- lesions appear on the skin;
- pseudolactation develops;
- discharge oozes from the loop, although all the periods of normal estrus gone.
Females of the breed are considered the most prone to prolonged estrus. boxer and small poodle. When passing the diagnosis in the clinic experts identify any pathological changes in reproductive organs: sclerosis of the ovaries, less often – cystic education.
Different types of lingering heat
Specialists distinguish several types of prolonged estrus, each of which has its own specific features:
- Elongated proestrum period lasting longer than 3 weeks. All this time, females attract the attention of males, causing sex drive. The bitch has noticeable swelling of the labia, from Loops a watery red liquid.
- Long proestrum period. More common in individuals of middle age, and in this case, females do not excite males. The genitals are swollen, the discharge is scarce, reddish brownish color. In addition, the dog is worried about strong itchy skin, symmetrical bald patches appear, genital skin covered with black acanthosis.
- Long estrus period lasting more than 12 days. Medium females are also affected by this disorder. age, the lesion affects the skin, but not so intensively, as in the previous case. Vaginal discharge are present, but they are not bloody, but in color and consistency resemble mucus. The bitch develops pseudolactation, she experiences intense thirst. According to the results of a blood test, it is detected increased erythrocyte and white blood cell sedimentation rate. but indicators do not significantly exceed the norm, as, for example, with pyometer.
- Elongated early metoestrum. Given pathological condition occurs in young females 10-12 months immediately after the normal void ends. At the dog labia swell, oozing from the loop serous-mucous or purulent admixture of discharge. During the inspection the veterinarian reveals an increase in the uterus and swelling of the uterine throat. The pet becomes lethargic, drinks a lot of water and refuses food. The quality of the coat deteriorates, it loses its luster and looks disheveled.
- Split estrus. Similar type long estrus is isolated in a separate additional form. IN in this case, the bitch completes normal estrus, occurs fertilization, but after a few days the void begins again and is accompanied by all the signs of a regular estrus.
Since estrus disturbance is primarily associated with hormonal failure, the veterinarian prescribes drugs to the dog, corrective hormonal balance. If an infection is detected or inflammatory process, antibiotic funds.
Throughout the treatment, control over the composition is necessary. blood. If the level of ESR and white blood cells rises to critical marks, and the general condition of the animal is deteriorating, urgently carried out castration (sterilization). In some cases, subject to removal only the ovary – one or both (ovariectomy is performed), but more often total specialists resort to ovariogisteroectomy – removed ovaries and uterus.
A dog’s menstrual cycle is an alarming sign, especially if estrus drags on. Do not ignore the symptoms, since in some cases this threatens the animal with death.