In humans, anorexia is an eating disorder associated with the desire of girls to lose weight by any means, even to the detriment of health. Less commonly, it becomes the result of serious illness, not allowing a person to consume the required amount of food. Animals do not care about their figure, which means that anorexia in dogs arises for other reasons. What owners should know about pet eating disorder?
- 1. Causes of primary and secondary anorexia
- 2. Symptoms
- 3. Treatment
- 4. Nutrition and care
Causes of primary and secondary anorexia
There are three types of disorder – primary, secondary and pseudoanorexia, each of which has a number of features:
- Primary anorexia, or otherwise nervous, due to frequent stresses, disturbing the activity of the nervous system and altering the hormonal background. A similar type of pathology can also develop against the background of dropsy. brain inflammation of the brain caused by infection or suffered head injuries.
- Secondary anorexia – accompanied by severe symptoms, is the result of various diseases.
- Pseudoanorexia – in this case, nervous the system and level of hormones are normal, but the dog is not able to take and chew food, although it is hungry. More common condition observed in animals that are exhausted and exhausted by disease. The appetite disappears in dogs due to toxic poisoning, intake some medications. Eat less or at times give up food decrepit animals.
Anorexia in dogs can occur for the following reasons:
- due to problematic behavioral reactions – pets are often trying to manipulate the owner: only goodies begin to eat, take food only from the owner’s hands, refuse one feed, in favor of another, etc .;
- against the background of psychological problems – dogs are keenly worried separation from family, relocation, for some loneliness is a real test;
- due to social problems – when living in a flock of weak animals food may not be enough; when overeating the dog may also appear an aversion to food, etc.
Eating disorder is a symptom of many diseases and conditions:
- viral infections – more often diagnosed in unvaccinated dogs
- penetration of foreign bodies into the esophagus, stomach or intestines;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- pathologies of the dentition;
- purulent-inflammatory processes (with pyometer, abscess paraanal glands, suppuration of wounds, etc.);
- pain syndrome;
- diabetes mellitus and hypoglycemic coma;
- diseases of the urinary system;
- malignant or benign neoplasms;
- disturbances in the brain.
Almost any critical condition is heavy blood loss, peritonitis and others may be accompanied by anorexia.
Symptoms of anorexia depend on the type of pathological condition. In a primary disorder, the animal is disturbed by a headache, nerve spasms occur, coordination is disturbed in the dog, cannot to maintain balance, there is a risk of epileptic seizures.
The dog feels sick, vomiting occurs. Edema often develops. of the brain, signs of pathological disorders in CNS activities. The condition may be complicated by hydrocephalus – dropsy of the brain. The pet is behaving nervously, moody.
During a secondary disorder, the animal experiences pain, signs of intoxication are manifested. The pet is trying to hide from strangers, ignores commands, does not respond to them and whines. Possible increase in internal organs, which may be noticeable with the naked eye. In addition, the condition is accompanied by symptoms of the disease that caused this pathology.
If the dog develops pseudoanorexia, then the appearance of following signs: inflammation, gum disease, toothache, chewing muscle paralysis, which prevents the pet from moving apart the jaw.
Anorexia is a dangerous condition that threatens not only health, but also the life of the animal, so most often it requires professional medical care.
Suspecting something was wrong, the owner should first of all test your pet – we are talking about anorexia or pseudoanorexia. For this, the dog should be given food and look at her reaction. Will the dog show interest, is it capable of capturing slice and chew? Is the process accompanied by signs of pain syndrome?
Then it is worth assessing the condition of the dog’s mouth. Often an animal with eating drops food, sits in front of a bowl, but doesn’t eat or, only Having started eating, he turns away and leaves. This behavior may be caused not by disorders, but by diseases of the oral cavity – gums, teeth, tumors, chewing muscle tissue and other
If serious symptoms occur, the dog must be shown to the veterinarian. First of all, the therapy is feeding. the patient through the probe and conducting a diagnostic examination with to identify the root cause of the disorder. X-ray assigned chest, ultrasound examination of the peritoneum, fence biological material – urine, blood, hormonal tests.
The first 3-4 days, the dog is force-fed with a paste consisting of high-calorie foods, and meat balls. If arises vomiting and nausea, then the doctor resorts to the probe. Vet may install the handset and show the owner how to use it to give Pet food, which avoids hospitalization.
Forced feeding is used until it succeeds. rid the patient of the root cause of anorexia. If therapy carried out at home, the owner is advised to lead diagnostic diary in which all arising changes in condition.
If the pathological condition is caused by pyroplasmosis, then maintenance therapy is carried out:
- saline solutions are added with the addition of glucose, ascorbic acid;
- immunostimulating drugs are prescribed;
- the dog is given funds that stimulate the production of gastric juice and excite the center of the nervous system, which is responsible for feeling of hunger.
Veterinarians also resort to symptomatic treatment, however it is considered ineffective, as it does not eliminate the risks unforeseen relapses.
Dogs who have had a serious illness or surgery intervention, prescribe courses of corticosteroids, anabolic steroids that stimulate the synthesis of hormones that are responsible for feeling of hunger.
Nutrition and Care
Nervous stress is considered one of the important reasons provoking any disease other than congenital. Quite understandable is animal reaction to moral trauma in the form of refusal of food, but Mandatory stopping of this process is required.
The owner should provoke the pet to eat, this will allow you to start the production of the necessary hormones. And although the dog can’t fully taste the food, he will begin to feel hunger.
It is important to provide a suitable environment: it should be familiar, friendly, calm. Do not invite to the house strangers, annoyed if initial attempts end a failure.
It is desirable to place the pet in a separate room / room, sufficiently ventilate and moisten the air, provide suitable temperature conditions. Better to start with special pastes. or canned pastes with an attractive aroma, taste quality and delicate texture.
The patient should be provided with useful fluids: tea (warm), in which you can add a little honey, milk, sweet water (in dissolve sugar in a glass). Also ideal in this case option will be infant formula.
There are a number of recommendations that will help the owner feed pet eating disorder:
- food should be offered in small portions, but often every 1-2 hours;
- you can coat your nose or tongue with a little food, while observing whether the pet will try to lick the food, to try it out;
- preference should be given to high-calorie and nutritious low fat foods – especially important if the pet is nauseous;
- it is advisable to give food from your hand – any dog is grateful takes such attention, which should be used; can scoop up a little broth in your palm, dip your finger in food and suggest pet;
- the first food should be warm, have a soft consistency; You can add sauce, gravy.
When your appetite returns to your pet, you can immediately transfer it on the usual food.
Dogs are predators, which for full life animal food is required – a source of protein. Without it, the body can serious violations occur, including the development of irreversible processes. Therefore, it is very important to identify timely signs of eating disorder and provide pet necessary treatment and care.