Nearly 10 million people with diabetes live in Russia. The disease did not pass our smaller brothers – dogs, because they too suffer from such an ailment (by the way, cats have diabetes). It is believed that theoretically an individual can become ill with diabetes any gender, any age and any breed. However in a special group at risk are nulliparous bitches, dogs over 6 years old, heavy animals and those who have hormone disorders plan. Consider why diabetes appears in dogs, what are the main symptoms of the disease and how to help diabetic pet.
Why dogs have diabetes
The principle for the development of canine diabetes is similar to that of humans: ailment is also caused by endocrine failure. Food Glucose after cleavage in the digestive tract of the body – a source of cellular energy. But some of the cells cannot take glucose without the special hormone – insulin produced by the pancreas iron. When insulin is produced in scanty quantities, many unable to absorb glucose from cells, during which fasting and further cell death develops, which negatively affects the health status of the animal. In other words, when Disease derived from food glucose is delivered only to some body cells (which do not require insulin), and its large part is withdrawn without any benefit. To the reasons for the appearance disease include pancreatic insufficiency and cellular atrophy (due to endocrine disruption and nutritional deficiencies substances).
Symptoms of diabetes in dogs
Признаки сахарного диабета у собак следующие:
- Вялость (собака неохотно играет, ведет себя пассивно во времяwalks, trying to lie down);
- Increased thirst and a large amount of urine;
- Increased appetite (the dog seems to be constantly hungry);
- Abrupt underweight or obesity;
- Numbness of the extremities (the dog may suddenly start limp);
- The development of cataracts (the lens in the eye becomes whitish);
- Poor condition of the coat and skin of the animal;
- Acetone odor from the dog’s mouth. This is due to the development ketoacidosis. This disease is due to the fact that instead of glucose the sick dog’s body begins to process fats, which are broken down into organic substances – ketones (consider acetone). If there are too many ketones in the body, it happens the process of blood oxidation, which leads to dehydration, stress, upset stomach and canine odor the mouth.
It is worth noting that not all signs diabetes in dogs listed above is required found in every individual. If the owner has noted only some symptoms of ill health in the animal, you should rather consult to a veterinarian for diagnosis based on urine tests (in including for acetone) and blood (for excess sugar, in dogs this indicator normally 6 mmol / l), ECG and X-ray studies, hormonal tests, ultrasound of the pancreas. Unfortunately, some owners begin treating diabetes in dogs even without a visit to to a veterinarian, having noticed, for example, that the animal drinks a lot or fast gaining weight. But without the necessary analyzes, it’s impossible to establish what exactly is the animal sick with:
- A strong craving for drinking is also found in cases of discomfort with kidneys
- Enhanced appetite occurs with helminthic invasions;
- A cataract can develop in a dog for various reasons: old age, eye injuries, infectious inflammations;
- Dog limbs are often numb, often with central nervous system disorders;
- An increase in sugar is observed in the blood and urine of the animal after experienced stress.
How to treat a diabetic dog
Let’s say the owner with the help of a doctor found out for sure that the pet is sick diabetes mellitus. How to help the animal? Diabetes treatment у собак включает такие действия:
- Назначение диеты. A sick pet is often fed small doses. If the animal is accustomed to industrial food, you can turn attention to food for dogs with diabetes (for example, Royal Canin Diabetic “or” Rinti Canin Diabetes “), however, the price of such high foods. The dog with a natural diet with any (low or high) weight requires rejection of such food:
- any sweets;
- bakery products;
- vegetables with lots of carbohydrates (carrots, potatoes, beet);
- fatty broths, fish and meat;
- milk based fatty foods.
Natural food for diabetic dogs may include the following products:
- low-fat meat (veal, turkey), offal (tongue), fish (pollock, blue whiting);
- low-fat broths;
- low-carb vegetables (cabbage, zucchini);
- low-fat dairy products (cottage cheese, kefir);
- a small amount of cereals (buckwheat, barley, millet).
In order not to harm the animal, it is advisable to conduct a special diary where you have to indicate:
- how much food an animal needs to eat in one go (amount the doctor will tell);
- what time should be feeding;
- the number of meals per day;
- the amount of water consumed per day (and is there a thirst);
- what is the weight of the animal (you have to regularly put the dog on Libra);
- To know the amount of sugar in the blood of a doggie, to the owner you will have to purchase a glucometer (for example, a veterinary meter sugar “Wellion”);
- To help the animal’s body process glucose, insulin is required (dogs are often injected into the withers, chest area or belly drugs “Kaninsinsulin”, “Lantus”). But correct medication, dosage and frequency of its use can determine only specialist. The owner will have to pay daily and such Diabetic dog diary details:
- when the injection was made;
- what dose of the hormone has been administered;
- what is the behavior of the dog after the injection;
- what is the blood sugar content.
Keeping a diary will help the doctor and dog owners find the right one individual treatment for the animal. Therefore, try to remember all data is not worth it, it is better to make notes in a special notebook
- With diabetes, the dog should not be deprived of movement: street promenades, not too active games at home and in nature will not harm the home to a friend. However, you should not overload the four-legged friend, because it will aggravate a poor condition.
The dog owner should be aware of the following:
- Both high and low (less than 3 mmol / l) glucose are dangerous level. When blood glucose is very low, a dog may hypoglycemia develop – a disease caused by untimely feeding the dog or the wrong amount injected insulin. Neglect glucose measurements with special apparatus should not be, even if the doggie resists. With hypoglycemia, the animal can fall into a coma and even perish;
- A dog with diabetes is fed strictly by the hour and only acceptable with this disease, foods. Moreover, the dog menu should be agreed with the veterinarian;
- How to and where to administer insulin can tell only doctor (and even then, after analysis and prolonged observation for the animal). The specialist will tell you which drug is better select. You should never treat your dog yourself diabetes mellitus without the consent of the veterinarian;
- If the dog is in very poor condition (acetone comes from the mouth smell, animal trembling, vomiting begins), action is required to as soon as possible: rather give the dog something sweet (water with sugar, honey) even through force and urgently take it to the clinic, where reduce blood acidity and normalize levels insulin