Dog owners at least once in their life have encountered a lack of defecation of the pet or its difficulty. But not everyone knows how fight this problem and how you can help a four-legged friend. Is constipation always an occasion to see a veterinarian and what do if the dog has constipation?
- 1. Symptoms of constipation in a dog
- 2. Improper diet and other causes of constipation
- 3. Treatment of constipation in dogs
- 4. Nutritional correction for constipation
- 5. Home remedies for constipation
- 6. Preventive measures against constipation
Symptoms of Dog Constipation
If a person has a dog, then he must look after it and pay attention to her health. What can suggest that Does your pet have a problem with the intestines?
First of all, a healthy dog goes to the toilet “for the most part” at least twice a day. If she began to empty less often or completely stopped, then this is an occasion to look at her general condition, in this case, do not immediately panic. Number of bowel movements the animal depends largely on its size, physiology and age.
First of all, you need to evaluate how the pet behaves. If a he is cheerful, cheerful, with a good appetite, and feces has a uniform tight consistency, there are no special reasons for concern.
On the walk you can see that the dog is trying to go to the toilet, pushing, straining intensely, but to no avail. In this moment you can hear her squealing and whining, as constipation causes pain and discomfort.
In addition, there are several symptoms, clearly indicating that the dog has constipation:
- bloating – gas accumulates in the intestines, and the dog often rumbling in the stomach;
- lack of appetite – with bowel obstruction, in in most cases, pets refuse food;
- the dog may have vomiting;
- she drinks a lot of water;
- general malaise – the dog perceives without much enthusiasm walking message, moves a little and strives home.
In some cases, you can help your pet yourself, but not always. Seek medical attention if available following signs:
- if there is a blood admixture in the feces, foam, particles undigested feed;
- feces have a distinct smell of rot and dampness.
What can cause this condition?
Malnutrition and other causes of constipation
Much depends on proper nutrition, including the amount and quality of emptying. The cause of constipation may be the following:
- the dog ate a large number of bones, especially tubular boiled;
- pet fed steep broth;
- a large amount of fiber is present in the diet;
- overfeeding the dog.
Difficult bowel movements may also cause dry feeding. food that does not fit the pet.
Often, constipation is not an independent disease, but only one of the symptoms of a more serious condition:
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver and kidney
- neurological or orthopedic problems;
- diseases of the paraanal gland and prostate in males.
Ingestion of foreign objects can also provoke obstruction of feces. If the cause of constipation the veterinarian finds out, then an x-ray of the peritoneum is prescribed, a general analysis blood, ultrasound.
Treating Dog Constipation
Therapeutic treatment includes the use of drugs lactuloses, softening stool – Dufalac, Lysolac, Lactusan, Livo-varnish, Portalac. In addition, for these purposes, you can use Vaseline oil.
The most effective way to get rid of constipation, as well as to prevent them, are enemas. They successfully clean intestines from hardened fecal stones.
If a diagnostic study shows that the dog’s intestines filled with bone fragments, it is often necessary to remove them surgical intervention performed under general anesthesia.
If constipation is accompanied by profuse vomiting and complete absence appetite, then maintenance therapy in the form of droppers is prescribed, protects the body from dehydration.
In more complicated cases, veterinarians may resort to amputation of a fragment of the large intestine together with the masses, its filling.
Constipation Nutrition Correction
If the dog does not have special symptoms requiring medical attention, the owner can help the pet by changing its nutrition:
- The following foods are excluded from the diet: rice, legumes, meat broths, corn, meat with muscle tissue (muscular), cheeses, yesterday’s dairy products, cheeses.
- Food is given in fractions, in small portions, it is desirable that it was fluid and warm.
- It is recommended to include in the dog’s menu:
- boiled buckwheat, boiled in water or milk;
- vegetable stew;
- a small amount of boiled saltwater fish, thoroughly cleaned from bones, preference should be given to fish with white meat;
- freshly prepared kefir, yogurt without additives;
- raw vegetables – carrots and beets;
- fresh plums (if the pet does not have an allergic reaction and no more than two pieces).
While the dog is sick, you can feed him ready-made canned food, intended for puppies or dogs with chronic diseases. Typically, these foods have increased digestibility.
Home Remedies for Constipation
Pet owners can cope with constipation on their own dogs if it is caused only by malnutrition.
The following products help in its elimination:
- yogurt (given instead of breakfast);
- juice of fresh cabbage (you should be careful with it, since often it causes increased gas formation);
- decoction of buckthorn;
- pumpkin seeds infusion (2 tbsp.spoons of seeds per glass boiling water, infused for about half an hour in the heat);
- a mixture of crushed flax seeds with vegetable oil or ready flax oil.
It is strictly forbidden to give the pet everything at once, should Choose only one specific option.
At home, you can do cleansing enemas with petroleum jelly. The warm oil is gently and slowly introduced into the rectum of the dog. For a very large pet, one is taken a glass of oil, for a dog weighing about 20 kg – 75-100 ml, for small breeds enough 1-2 tablespoons.
If it does not pass, then the pet, most likely, has intestinal obstruction and procedure should be discontinued.
Enemas are best done by placing the dog in the bathroom or basin, purely from hygiene considerations.
Before an enema, you can try oral administration of Vaseline oils. It is heated to room temperature and introduced by the cheeks. dogs with a syringe without a needle. Dwarf dogs breeds for a single dose is enough for one teaspoon, medium – one tablespoon, large – 2-3 tablespoons. Giving two times per day, until a positive result is achieved.
Do not worry too much about an overdose, as its excess leave the body naturally. For constipation recommended increase the number of walks up to 5 times a day and try how You can walk more. Movement fruitfully affects intestinal activity makes it work. This mode follows observe two to three days.
If the actions do not have the proper effect, the dog is still the symptoms of the disease are observed, then without fail it is necessary seek medical attention.
Preventive measures against constipation
Like any other ailment, constipation is better to prevent than sweat. engage in their treatment. What must be done to prevent similar condition? The following rules must be observed:
- compliance with the feeding regime is mandatory – the pet must receive food at the same time in the prescribed amount;
- heavy foods should be avoided in large quantities, total should be in moderation;
- do not treat the dog with bones every day, they should be in a rare delicacy (bones most often become cause intestinal obstruction);
- exclude foods that cause increased gas formation – legumes, apples, cabbage, including Brussels sprouts and broccoli, oats, starches – potato and corn;
- provide your pet with round-the-clock access to water, and she must always be fresh;
- periodically enrich your pet’s nutrition with vitamin and mineral top dressing;
- try to walk the pet more often, and at least 20 minutes
- refuse to walk the just-eaten dog, from the moment feeding should take at least 30 minutes;
- do not forget about the regular use of anthelmintic drugs and preventive vaccination.
In most cases, if we are not talking about hereditary and congenital ailments, pet’s health depends on care and care the owner. The more attention is paid to development and well-being dogs, the healthier the dog, the more long his life will be. AND if constipation occurs, the caring owner knows how to relieve four-legged friend from this trouble.