Life side by side with a person in many ways affects our friends tetrapods. Breeding breeding of breeds, including random leads to various gene mutations, dogs lose their health, inherent in wild animals. More and more often, pathologies are detected in pets, previously not characteristic of them, including allergic reactions. Among food allergens, chicken meat is not the last. How does chicken allergy manifest in dogs, and what can help to get rid of her pet?
- 1. Signs of food allergies
- 2. How is allergy diagnosed in dogs
- 3. Therapy for allergic manifestations
Signs of a Food Allergy
Chicken meat is a natural source of animal protein, to which some animals and humans may develop an allergy. But this does not mean that its symptoms will occur when consumed. any meat product. For example, lamb or rabbit practically do not provoke such a state.
If the cause of allergic manifestations is eating a dog chicken, then it’s about food allergies. Regardless of the source – be it meat, fish or eggs, it has a number of common pronounced symptoms:
- the pet is worried about severe skin itching;
- the skin is covered with a rash – more often papules appear in the area anus, abdomen, armpits, on the face;
- discharge appears from the eyes (the so-called souring), they begin to water;
- discharge flows from the nose;
- the muzzle may swell;
- wet skin areas appear (armpits and skin folds);
- the skin and coat of the dog exudes an unpleasant odor;
- damage to the outer ear and ear canal;
- digestive disorders – diarrhea.
Allergy is a pathological condition with a pronounced individual character. That is, while one dog can consume the product in large quantities, and it is for her will be completely harmless, the other even a piece of food provokes unpleasant manifestations.
According to veterinary practice, there are dog breeds, most prone to food allergies. This group includes fees Labradors, Dalmatians, Shar Peis, Bulldogs, German Shepherds. Often from dogs with white suffer from this pathological condition with hair.
As for allergens, in addition to chicken – raw or boiled, pathological manifestation may be caused by the use of beef, eggs, soy, semolina, wheat porridge, sour milk products. Often allergies cause low-quality dry rations or treats that include artificial additives.
Most often, after exclusion from the allergen menu, allergy symptoms pet pass. But in some cases also required drug treatment, as there is a risk of development complications, including anaphylactic shock.
How is dog allergy diagnosed
The first thing to do is to identify the allergen. If a the specialist suspects a food allergy, then he suggests going through special sensitivity testing. The owner is offered an extended formula consisting of 24 items that he must choose by yourself. The allergist evaluates the received results and finds out what needs to be removed from the pet’s menu, and which food is suitable for the dog.
Thanks to the test, all products will be divided into 3 categories:
- must be completely removed from the diet;
- give the dog with caution;
- permitted food.
In addition, differential diagnostics are required, allowing distinguish true from false allergies. In the second case, symptoms arise from histamine, which the immune system produces. But also this substance often penetrates the body with food, and, as result – immunity gives a pseudo-allergic response to consumption certain products. Symptoms in both conditions are practically identical.
In this case, diet food is unlikely to help, since diet requires you to remove many foods containing large the amount of histamine or triggering its production. At a “false” allergy is assigned a specific diet in which gradually include such food, “accustoming” the body to it.
The list of sources of histamine does not include poultry meat, including chicken enter, it, on the contrary, is recommended to give a dog suffering from manifestations of “pseudo-allergy”.
Therapy for allergic manifestations
The basis of treatment is the correction of the diet, which selected based on the test results. But they will have to expect some time, and the dog needs regular feeding. What to do in this case, so as not to harm the animal? Can adhere to the following principles:
- remove from the dog’s menu all food familiar to him;
- do not give even crumbs from your table;
- transfer the pet completely to separate meals, give in day only one product that he had not eaten before – meat, porridge;
- no rewards in the form of treats.
Naturally, this type of feeding is temporary. a solution to help find out what caused the allergy. With this the system a new product is introduced into the diet gradually, after 14 days after the previous one. If an allergen is found, the diet does not change until until the signs of an allergic manifestation disappear.
The following products have low allergenicity:
- low-fat sea fish;
- lamb, turkey;
- pears, apples;
- cereals – rice and buckwheat;
- fresh kefir, yogurt.
In some cases, a specialist may recommend a translation darling on special diets designed for allergic dogs. Here you may need to surrender another sensitivity analysis, where the list will include names production feeds of this category and their composition.
Such food is not suitable for constant feeding of a pet, therefore, when the dog’s condition stabilizes, this food is replaced on preventative or routine. As you can see, diet is important aspect in treating dog allergies, however, may also be prescribed and drugs:
- antihistamines (Diazolin, Suprastin, Tavegil);
- antipruritic drugs for external use: stop itching, Alusprey, before using them, areas with rashes should be treat with antiseptics;
- preparations with diuretic (diuretic) action, contributing to the removal of excess fluid from the body, due to which eliminates puffiness;
- additionally, a course of immunomodulatory can be prescribed medicines.
All drugs are selected individually for each pet. Choose the most effective product only a veterinarian.
Chicken can be a pretty strong allergen and cause serious consequences, therefore it is important to contact to the veterinarian to find out the cause and get competent help.