Blood in the stool in dogs can appear for various reasons. Starting out from mechanical or chemical trauma of the gastrointestinal tract and ending with various on the danger of disease. But any reason is a threat the health and life of the dog and therefore it is imperative immediately seek veterinary care if feces are found only traces of blood.
- 1. The causes of pathology
- 2. Methods for diagnosing bleeding
- 3. Methods of treating bleeding
Causes of the appearance of pathology
Blood in the stool of a dog suggests that bleeding located in the digestive tract. By the color of blood, you can determine the place where the center is located.
If the blood is native – not exposed digestive enzymes, it is bright in color – red or scarlet. It can remain unchanged only if the source of bleeding located in the distal gastrointestinal tract – in the large intestine, direct gut or in the area of the anal sphincter.
It is more difficult to detect the presence of blood in the feces if it has been exposure to enzymes. Such blood has the appearance of “coffee grounds”, and the blood source can be located in the esophagus, the initial sections intestines, stomach.
The stool consistency and the amount of blood in it can also become diagnostic sign of various diseases. For example, liquid, profuse feces (diarrhea) with an admixture of blood or its large may be in the following diseases:
- Parvovirus enteritis – the virus is highly specific focus. It affects only representatives of the canine family and raccoons. Most often, young dogs and puppies suffer. Virus with food or when the stool of a sick animal is sniffed, it enters the dog’s mouth, is carried by blood into various organs, including the mucosa intestines. One of the symptoms of the disease is watery feces. mixed with blood.
- Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis – the causes of this pathologies are called different, but one of the signs of the disease is abundant diarrhea in which feces are stained red, native blood. In this case, before the appearance of bleeding of others there may not be any symptoms.
- Some medicinal can cause bloody diarrhea, chemical or biological substances. For example, derivatives coumarin or inandion, which are part of the preparations from rodents cause profuse diarrhea with blood.
- Carnivore plague is a deadly disease that accompanied by, among other symptoms, bloody diarrhea Scarlet or black content.
In addition, traces of blood in the stool can be caused by:
- ulcers in the colon. 12 duodenal ulcer or in the stomach;
- intestinal inflammation (colitis);
- neoplasms, for example, gastrointestinal adenocarcinoma;
- Addison’s disease;
- helminthiases that cause intestinal worms, attached to the intestinal mucosa and destroying it;
- mechanical damage;
- bleeding from hemorrhagic nodes;
- allergic reactions.
There are too many reasons without serious diagnosis. it is possible to differentiate the disease.
Methods for diagnosing bleeding
Bleeding of varying intensity leads to anemia, malnutrition of tissues, limits the transfer of oxygen to organs. Therefore, one of the first tests is a clinical blood test. dogs. In addition, it is assigned:
- analysis of feces for the composition and presence of worms;
- biochemical analysis of bowel movements and blood in order to exclude the infectious nature of the pathology;
- coagulogram – for the study of coagulation function blood
- Ultrasound of the abdominal cavity;
- gastroduodenoscopy – a visual examination of the condition of the upper intestines;
- rectocolonoscopy – examination of the lower (distal) sections intestines.
The treatment regimen for bleeding in dogs depends on many factors and developed depending on the general condition of the animal, massive blood loss, localization of the focus and cause.
Bleeding treatment methods
First of all, therapy is aimed at stopping bleeding and restoration of blood volume. For this, a blood transfusion is used. and drugs to stop bleeding.
Drugs used for symptomatic treatment, the following:
|Drug group||Drug name||Route of administration||Dose|
|Hemostatic drugs||Calcium Chloride 10%||Intravenous infusion||5-10 ml|
|Sodium chloride 10%||Intravenous infusion||5-10 ml|
|Aqueous solution of Ichthyol||Intravenous administration||1 ml / 3 kg|
|Vikasol, Dicinon||Intravenous administration (solution), oral (tablets)||0.1 ml / kg 2-3 times a day|
|Mezaton||Intravenous, subcutaneous, intramuscular injection (solution, powder for solution), oral (tablets)||0.002-0.003 g.|
|Preparations for restoring the water-electrolyte balance||Polyglukin||Intravenous infusion||15-20 mg / kg|
|Ringer’s solution||Intravenous infusion||Small breeds 100 ml, large – 300-400 ml|
|Glucose Solution 5%||Intravenous infusion||Small breeds 100 ml, large – 300-400 ml|
|Anemia medications||Iron complex||Intravenous infusion||0.8 mg / 10 kg|
|Imposil, Hemodex, Rubrafer, Ferrect, Ferrodistim||Intravenous infusion||1-2 ml|
After stopping the bleeding, treatment of the cause begins. bleeding. For the treatment of infectious pathologies use broad-spectrum antibiotics – Amoxicillin, Amoxiclav, Meronem, Imipinem, Chloramphenicol. Drugs are used only for appointment of a veterinarian.
For the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases and relief of symptoms dyspeptic disorders (vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite) are used Catozal, Coredon, Bifitrilak, Clamoxyl LA, Veracol. For microflora normalization is used – Bactoneotim, Lactobifadol, Lactoferon.
Of great importance in the treatment of bleeding is diet therapy. FROM hematopoietic products can be restored blood count, stop diarrhea, stimulate regeneration gastrointestinal mucosa and reduce the burden on the digestive system.
Blood in the stool is a dangerous symptom, therefore, having noticed streaks of blood, immediately contact a veterinarian without waiting serious consequences.