Basenji, African Bush Dog, African Barkless Dog, Ango Angari, Congo Dog, Zande Dog
- Popularity: 5
- Training: 1
- Size: 2
- Mind: 5
- Security: 6
- Relations with children: 9
- Dexterity: 8
- Shedding: 4
A Basenji breed dog was originally found in Congo. She used to drive small game in the hunter’s net and control the rodent population. Smart and sweet, he’s good companion for a person or family who can stay a step ahead of him.
It is medium in size, well built, thin, fast and quite strong dog. She has a flat skull. The nose is black. Eyes small, almond-shaped and brown. Ears are medium sized, triangular forms. The tail is small and curled. Wool color mainly black-pied, black-pied with tan, red-pied, tiger. White the color is on the chest, legs, tip of the tail and neck.
- Basenji usually do not bark, but they can be very noisy, making sounds (whining and screaming).
- The breed is hard to learn. Basenji survived for a thousand years, being independent thinkers. They do not see the need obey people. A positive teaching method can work in to that extent, but they will choose when to obey.
- Basenji have a strong instinct for prey and cannot be walked without a leash.
- Basenji has a large amount of energy, so she needs walks and all kinds of games.
- Basenji consider themselves a family. They cannot be left in backyard with food and water. They require a lot of time and attention.
- They do not get along very well with other small household animals, as their instinct to pursue can prevail. If a they can still get along with cats, but they are not recommended for homes with hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, guinea pigs, birds or ferrets.
- Basenji is stubborn, and it can end up uncontrollable and aggressive basenji if you are trying to overcome her stubbornness with by force.
This breed is very smart and independent. She is very vigilant, violent and playful, which makes them a wonderful family favorite, however this the breed likes to be outdoors often, so the dog Basenji is recommended only for active hosts.
Basenji is a very vigilant and fun breed, but not Recommended for an inexperienced owner. Basenji can be very patient and gets along well with children however they should be socialized early to prevent tendencies to fight other dogs.
The Basenji breed is independent and stubborn, therefore quite difficult to train her. Training should be done by someone with experience and skills that can make the dog obedient and make perform orders. Training should be firm, consistent, but not being too rude or heavy.
Basenji is considered the cleanest dog. She washes herself the same way like cats. Cleaning can be done with a brush. Basenji don’t like rain, the dog cannot stand in the cold and heat.
This breed has almost no dog smell, and molts very much. few.
This breed does not withstand the cold and feels better in the area. with a warm climate. Basenji can adapt well to life in apartment, but daily walks are required as she has a moderate level of activity. Her needs may be satisfied by a long walk followed by energetic by games.
Basenji is used for prospecting and mining, as well as companion dog.
|Life span||12-16 years old|
|Height||Males: 41-43 cm Bitches: 38-41 cm|
|Weight||Males: 10-12 kg Bitches: 9-11 kg|
|Colour||black-pied, black-pied with tan, red-pied, tiger|
|Price||700 – 1500 $|