Antibiotics are medications that are harmful organism, but at the same time they save lives. They are discharged when the body cannot overcome the infection on its own. And of course, it is not only about people, but also our smaller brothers. Dogs also sick and can not always cope with the disease without medical preparations. What antibiotics are needed for dogs, and in what cases without they can not do?
- 1. When and how to use antibiotics
- 2. What antibiotics are used to treat dogs
- 3. In which cases are these or those antibiotics used?
When and how to use antibiotics
First of all, dog owners need to understand that using antibiotics without the recommendation of a veterinarian is very dangerous because you need to know what caused the infection and choose a drug from the appropriate group. Correctly calculated dosage and duration of treatment are equally important for recovery favorite.
What should a landlord without a medical education know? about antibiotics for dogs? Only general information about similar means and their use. All the subtleties must be taken into account. use of drugs for this purpose:
- If the animal has a disease of viral origin, then antibiotics are used only in case of complications or their threats.
- The dosage is calculated based on the weight of the pet, and change it In no case can you do it yourself, otherwise you can do harm health. Incorrect dosage can lead to intoxication. pet, or the remedy may not work against infections.
- Even if the dog is much better, stop the course antibiotics are not recommended. How many days is prescribed to drink medicine, so much to take.
- With an independent selection of funds, you can make a mistake, because there are many antibiotics that act on various pathogens of infection. The wrong drug will not help. your pet and take precious time, which can lead to significant complications.
- An overdose of the drug, in most cases, manifests itself in vomiting and diarrhea, but sometimes more serious side effects are possible effects, for example, the pet may be deaf.
In the modern world, they no longer pay attention to the fact that antibiotics should be prescribed only in extreme cases. Many owners at the slightest manifestations of the disease, not having special bases, they are used precisely. This is facilitated by the fact that acquire antibiotics, both for humans and for animals, can everyone.
This attitude to drugs leads to resistance. pathogens in relation to antibacterial agents. Given the phenomenon occurs if you reduce the dose of the drug or stop taking medicines before the end of the course. That is why you need to strictly adhere to the recommendations of the attending physician, which applies not only animals, but also people.
What antibiotics are used to treat dogs
Very often, owners are interested in whether it is possible to give dogs antibiotics intended for humans. But actually, special canine antibiotics do not exist. What is for sale in veterinary pharmacies, is the same means, but having less dosage.
The following groups can be used in dog therapy antibiotic drugs:
- Antibiotics related to the penicillin series, including having a semisynthetic origin – Ampicillin, Flemoxin Solutab, Amoxicillin, Amoxiclav, etc.
- Cephalosporins – there are four generations of agents and, than the more modern the generation, the more effective the drug against Gram-negative flora. Particularly resistant to antibiotics Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Escherichia coli differ.
- Macrolides – Erythromycin, Clarithromycin, Macropen, Azithromycin, Spiramycin and others. In most cases, they are used for diseases airways and pneumonia.
- Carbapenems – Meropenem, Meronem, Doripenem, Imipinem, etc. They are highly effective against staphylococci.
- Tetracyclines – Natural: Tetracycline, Terramycin, Biomycin, and semi-synthetic: Metacycline, Doxycycline, Clinomycin. Are applied with tick-borne borreliosis and cystitis in dogs.
- Aminoglycosides – Tobramycin, Gentamicin, Kanamycin, Amikacin. Effective against gram-negative pathogens, differ high toxicity, therefore, are used exclusively for indications.
- Chloramphenicol – used for intestinal disorders.
- Fluoroquinolones – Ofloxacin, Pefloxacin, Ciprofloxacin, Levoflox, Levofloxacin. Used to treat cystitis, infections Gastrointestinal tract, severe forms of pneumonia.
- Fungicidal antibiotics – Nystatin, Levorin, Amphoterecin B, used only against pathogen elimination mushrooms.
Among antibiotics there is another group of drugs – anti-TB drugs (streptomycin, isoniazid, Rifampicin, Phtivazide). This group is intended for treatment people, but extremely dangerous for animals. After taking them, the dog may not to survive.
The antibiotics used for pets have different exposure to infectious agents – bacteriostatic, with which they slow down and stop the growth of bacteria, or bactericidal that kills them.
In severe infectious diseases, especially those caused by Gram-negative pathogens recommended starting antibiotic therapy with drugs that have bacteriostatic act. This will help to avoid an infectious toxic shock. which is caused by a large intake of toxic substances secreted by dead bacteria.
Infectious agents quickly develop resistance to this kind of drugs, therefore, should not be abused by them.
If you can’t immediately identify the cause of the infection, then antibiotics are prescribed that are wide enough range of applications, since they are effective against various pathogenic microorganisms.
There are also general antibiotics, they can penetrate the tissues of various organs and systems, or means, acting only in the intestines.
In which cases are certain antibiotics used?
There are many dog ailments that require application antibiotics and worth a closer look at when and what used to cure pets.
Semisynthetic antibiotics are most commonly prescribed. penicillin series and cephalosporins. Funds of other groups used in therapy much less often, usually at low effectiveness first.
- With purulent wounds or skin diseases, ointments with antibacterial effect. When it comes to puppy or large lesions, then antibiotics are added to the treatment in the form of injections. So as in this case, practically any microorganisms, use a wide spectrum of agents (Ceftriaxone, Cefotoxime), acting as gram-positive and gram-negative flora.
- With complicated pneumonia, a course of penicillins is often prescribed. – Amoxicillin, Cefazolin, or fluoroquinolones – Ofloxacin, Tsiprovet.
- To combat otitis, drops are prescribed, with part of antibiotic intended for the treatment of pets – Otibiovin, Otovedin, Surolan. If the disease is severe, use additional special antibiotics in tablets or injections, for example, the drug Sinuloks or Noroklav, in the composition which includes amoxicillin and clavulanic acid. Replace them can be by such means as Amoxicillin, Amoxiclav.
- Cystitis in pets is quite complicated and requires the use of antibiotics. Well established in this case. drug with a urological effect from the group of cephalosporins IV Generations – Cabactan. With this disease, you can use fluoroquinolone antibiotics, but they will only have bacteriostatic the effect.
- Fluoroquinolones and third and fourth generation cephalosporins are prescribed for mastitis or postpartum endometritis in females, inflammatory processes in the paraanal glands. More effective in this case to inject the drug.
- Often dogs suffer from eye diseases – purulent conjunctivitis, blepharitis, keratitis, keratoconjunctivitis. From data special drops for dogs Ciprovet help well Tsifran, Tsifrolon containing an antibiotic.
- One of the most common terrible dog ailments is the plague, antibiotic treatment is useless since it has a viral origin.
If tablets are prescribed for the pet, they are given in whole or in crushed form. It is not recommended to mix them with food, so the effectiveness of the drug is reduced.
Which antibiotic, and in which case to take, can decide only vet. Self-administration and treatment pet antibiotics are fraught with dire consequences, until death.