Coprophagy in the animal kingdom is not such a rare occurrence. A love for excrement is also noted among the four-legged friends of a person. Why does the dog eat extrements? Cannot give an exact answer nobody, because there are many reasons, but special scientific research This issue has not been addressed. So we can only assume where do such extravagant eating habits come from dogs.
- 1. Reasons for eating dog excrement
- 2. Types of coprophagy in dogs
- 3. Diseases due to coprophagy
- 4. Possible treatment options
Causes of Dog Eating Excrement
Scientists have a few thoughts about this.
Version one: it is believed that in this way dogs replenish their diet with the necessary trace elements.
Yes, owners notice that animals that sit on chains often eat their own excrement, especially if they are forgotten feed. In the wild, representatives of the canine family in hungry time eat feces of other animals. This is especially true for individuals weakened and sick, who cannot hunt for themselves the food.
In addition, predators in nature, not being able to extract from plant foods useful substances eat herbivore excrement animals – a source of fermented greens. But why are homework pets fed selective, balanced food eat feces of not only herbivores, but also of the same predators and even person?
Perhaps – this is the result of “genetic memory” – the need for such an addition to the main diet disappeared, but somewhere in the depths canine organism sits its predatory ancestor, which requires here such “vitamins”.
Version two: coprophagy – the memory of the wild of life.
Females of wild animals eat feces of cubs not to give out location of the den. In addition, this way the female maintains cleanliness in the hole. Puppies eat feces, mimicking their mother, and this may eventually turn into a bad habit. Animals that are contained in aviary, eat their feces when the “home” is not cleaned for a long time.
Version three: microflora imbalance in digestive system of a dog.
This assumption is logical, as in animal feces contains necessary enzymes for normal digestion, enzymes, hormones and microorganisms. This behavior is often affected. puppies that have not yet formed a digestive function.
Version Four: Coprophagy – Result stress.
Obviously, behavioral abnormalities can be the cause. psychological trauma, prolonged stress or desire to attract attention to your person. If the owner brings up too strict of your pet, then eating stool may be an attempt to hide “traces of crimes “when the animal did not endure the street.
It is suggested that eating heaps may result in the fact that beloved master removes his pet’s feces for a walk. To help the owner maintain order, the dog eats excrement and, thus, shows his love and devotion.
Version Five: Eating Litter – Result lack of attention.
With a lack of attention, the animal tries to “deviate” behavior to attract the attention of the owner. So you can say that the basis of coprophagy in animals are psychoemotional reasons.
Version six: coprophagy is a sign submission.
In a pack of dogs, weaker individuals eat feces of leaders, showing his submission to their power.
Version seven: dogs just like the taste excrement.
As a rule, this version sounds with interspecific coprophagy. Especially often, dogs eat feces of cats living with them in the same apartment. Dog breeders note that some dog breeds are more prone to coprophagy. What is the reason? Perhaps in the ancestors of these animals. Some breeds were bred from scavenging dogs, despite long selection work, gene memory periodically forces these dogs to eat not only feces, but also rotten meat, rodent corpses, etc.
According to statistics, 16% of dogs of different types suffer from an unpleasant habit breeds, in 85% such “strangeness” occurs periodically. But there is one breed that will never eat feces is dwarf poodle.
- why the dog howls;
- why the puppy is eating grass;
- than you can’t feed the dog.
Types of coprophagy in dogs
Types of coprophagy are distinguished, depending on whose excrement animal eats:
- autocoprophagy – eating a dog’s own feces;
- intraspecific coprophagy – when a dog eats animal feces his kind;
- interspecific coprophagy – eating other excrement animals – cats, deer, horses, etc.
The exact reason for this behavior is impossible to name, but such the anomaly causes not only concern and disgust among the owners. Eating feces can lead to serious pathologies in the home. favorite.
Diseases due to coprophagy
The most common cause of infection with various parasites can become litter of wild or domestic animals infected with helminths. Especially dangerous for the health of a dog are cat feces. They can become a source of toxoplasmas that cause damage in dogs all organs, including the central nervous system. Excrement can also become a source of serious viral diseases – hepatitis and parvovirus infection.
See what vitamins and cereals can be given to dogs.
There is no specific host behavior algorithm animal, since there is no clear understanding of the causes of pathological dog behavior. However, experienced dog breeders advise adhere to the following rules:
- Food processing with special enzymes that provide the best digesting or adding probiotics to food the composition of the intestinal microflora.
- Introduction to the diet of special vitamin-mineral complexes, able to make up for the lack of trace elements and vitamins.
- Adding substances or drugs that are safe to food change the taste and smell of feces. One of the means of this group is a Forbid drug. It is a dietary supplement that A veterinary pharmacy can only be purchased by prescription. His the counterpart is Deter. It can be purchase without a prescription. Both supplements are completely safe for animal, but their effectiveness is only valid for intraspecific coprophagy. Also use various bitterness, seasonings and additives with spicy, burning or sour taste. Long-term use, for example, mustard or red pepper will ward off the pet’s desire to absorb excrement. Certain inconvenience creates a need processing all heaps of feces, both at home and on a walk.
- It is not recommended to punish the dog for wrongdoing, because shouts, punishment, can provoke stress or fix such addiction for fear of punishment or desire to please to the owner.
- No need to rush to extremes and ignore the behavior of the dog. Such tactics can only work if coprophagy the animal is trying to attract the attention of the owner. In that case, rather encouragement will work for the animal that fulfills the command and leaves from the heap.
- The most effective is the tactics of concealment. If the owner will clean the tray or remove the excrement in a timely manner, then the problem itself will disappear.
- A stool warning is a mechanical obstruction – a muzzle. If the dog can feel long and comfortable yourself in a muzzle, you can wear it before a walk and walk the dog in it.
- Products that can cure an animal from coprophagy are pumpkin seeds, pineapple, mint, anise, papaya, etc. To not give dog eat feces for saturation, you need to feed him 2 times a day.
- You can just wait. As a rule, coprophagy in puppies goes to a certain age, etc.
From practice it became clear that the most effective method termination of coprophages is a combination of rewards for abandoning eating and timely cleaning of feces.
Patient and attentive to the animal will help gradually relieve him of eating feces, and the owner – from unpleasant moments while walking.