Ringworm is an infectious disease that brings torment to both animal and man due to high danger infection. The causative agents of this disease are Mycrosporum and Trichophyton, and lichen species are called microsporia and trichophytosis, respectively. Microscopic harmful fungi form spores distributed in the environment with catastrophic speed, besides, the debate is incredibly tenacious – in nature can exist for about 24 months (and even more). The name “ringworm” was given to the disease in connection with the defeat. skin and hair loss of the animal. Ringworm dangerous not only for cats and dogs, but also for their owners, namely therefore, it makes sense to prevent the disease rather than treat it.
Symptoms of ringworm in cats
- Hair loss and the formation of bald patches on the cat’s body;
- Inflamed skin, covered with scales, the appearance of dandruff;
- Cat anxiety due to itching. The cat constantly scratches the affected skin area;
- Wool generally looks unhealthy – lack of shine, salinity;
- Deformation of the claws of the animal;
- The appearance of vesicles or ulcers at the site of the receding hairline;
- The animal loses its appetite, remains depressed condition.
Photo of ringworm in cats:
It is worth noting that sometimes characteristic of this baldness diseases may not appear for a long time due to long incubation period up to 3 months. Illness can flow in three forms – superficial, deep and atypical. Moreover, the surface and atypical forms may not to reveal oneself thanks to the thick and fluffy hair of an animal or the growth of thin rare hairs in the affected areas of the skin.
Individuals affected by ringworm disease:
- Animals suffering from malignant diseases;
- Cats receiving immunosuppressive therapy;
- Weakened cats that do not receive quality nutrition;
- Cats with reduced immunity;
- Genetically predisposed to such diseases animals.
It happens that an animal with a normal immune system can act carrier of the disease, while not suffering and not having visible signs of illness. In addition to contact with another infected animal, the cat may be infected by its own owner, which brought dangerous pathogenic fungus spores on shoes, clothes. Infected animal can let the disease chain, so you need to start treatment as early as possible. Ringworm in a cat can lead to sad and grave consequences up to the death of the animal. Besides addition, children, the elderly, people with weakened immune systems are in risk zone and may also get sick.
Diagnosis of ringworm in cats
In cases where ringworm for a long time does not manifest itself in form of skinless areas of hair, diagnosis of ringworm in cats is especially important to start treatment. It should be remembered that only a doctor can diagnose an animal because Symptoms of lichen are similar to other skin diseases. At the doctor can do the following when contacting a veterinary clinic procedures, after listening to the owner’s story about alarming symptoms:
- Inspection of infected skin using a Wood lamp (ultraviolet light whose rays stain problem areas in green). Using a lamp may confirm the presence of diseases in 70% of cases;
- Taking a scraping from the affected areas of the skin of the animal and their further laboratory research (the surest way);
- Examination of the hair around the affected areas under a microscope.
Treatment for ringworm in cats
Based on the severity, stage of the disease, the state of the immune system animal specialist selects ringworm treatment for each animal individually. It’s noteworthy that microsporia, and trichophthia should be treated almost the same way. For treatment a ringworm, the doctor prescribes antifungal agents to the cat and therapeutic vaccines (in cases where the disease is not managed to go into a deep stage). In addition, the doctor may prescribe reception of immunomodulators for gaining strength by the cat’s body.
As a rule, the doctor prescribes drugs:
- Sprays, ointments or drops with clotrimazole in the composition for treatment depriving (and other fungal diseases);
- Drugs containing sulfur, tar and creolin (during treatment initial stage);
- The introduction of antifungal vaccines;
- Antifungal shampoos;
In order to prevent ringworm in cats, administer antifungal vaccines prescribed by your doctor hygiene. After deciding on the treatment of the animal follows disinfect surfaces that could come into contact cat. In addition, it is desirable to isolate a sick animal (to For example, do not give access to all rooms in the house) with the aim of exclusion of infection of other animals and people. Should pay attention to the quality of the cat’s nutrition, its state of health, wool. Often owners try to cure lichen in the home conditions using iodine, ash, brilliant green or other means. But vets are categorically against such unreasonable treatment in view of the possibility of infection in humans or other animals. While the owner looking for ways to treat depriving on the Internet or from friends, he loses precious time, and the body of the animal is covered with new bald painful areas.