Your kitty suddenly became lethargic, from the nose and eyes appeared serous discharge, and on the tongue and palate sores? May have animal dangerous viral disease – calcivirosis. This the article will talk about what are the symptoms and treatment of calcivirosis, how save an already sick animal or prevent a disease in a healthy individuals.
What is calcivirosis?
Calcivirosis in cats – a viral disease caused by pathogen feline calicivirus (FCV). Even a cured animal on throughout life can remain its carrier. Virus affects the upper respiratory tract most often young animals in under two years of age, although there are cases when calcivirosis заболевали даже пожилые кошки.Feline calicivirus может передатьсяanimal through a sick or healthy individual, which is carrier of the virus, through the nose, eyes, mouth, and also through objects (household clothes, bedding, combs, bowls, etc.). True outside the virus does not live for a long time – up to 3 days in a dry environment and until 10 days in the wet. Therefore, most often, infection occurs after contact of a healthy purr with a sick cat. The incubation period in a cat infected with calcivirus infection lasts from a day to weeks. The disease in a cat that has caught the virus can occur in latent form, but if the immune system can not cope, then exacerbation of calcivirosis will last from a week to a month.
Symptoms of calcivirus infection
There are at least 40 strains of feline calicivirus, which is why the symptoms of the disease can vary significantly between individuals affected by the virus. However, the most common симптомы, среди которых:
- Refusal to take food;
- The appearance of ulcers on the nose, tongue and palate;
- Bad breath
- Gum swelling;
- Stomach upset;
- Sneezing or coughing;
- Transparent discharge from the eyes and nose of the animal;
- Fever and fever (these are signs of calcivirosis in cats usually disappear 3-4 days after the onset of the disease);
- Shortness of breath, cat breathing heavily;
- Strong salivation;
- Lack of coordination (the state usually lasts no more than 3 days).
To the owner of an animal that has at least some of these symptoms, seek help from as soon as possible to the vet. Symptomatic calcivirosis is similar to many acute respiratory diseases, because the correct diagnosis may put only a specialist.
How to treat calcivirus infection in cats
Based on information provided by the owner about the condition of the cat, smears from the oral cavity and nose and data from a general blood test by a veterinarian It will precisely determine whether the animal is specifically calcivirosis. If a the diagnosis is confirmed, the next symptomatic лечение:
- Антибиотики, нитрофурановые и сульфиниламидные препараты дляprevent secondary infections;
- Droppers with saline and glucose against dehydration;
- Vitamins (A, B12, C) to maintain the body;
- Immunomodulators and globulins, antiviral agents for raising immunity of a cat;
- Decongestants, painkillers, healing, astringents, disinfectants (prescribed based on the patient’s condition cats);
- Diet (liquid or ground food in the form of heat).
Many owners, having learned that their beloved pet has calcivirosis, refuse a hospital, preferring treatment at home conditions. It happens that drugs are purchased in a pharmacy without consultation with a veterinarian. However, treat calcivirosis in cats in at home is possible only with a relatively mild course disease, if, for example, the animal has a small decreased appetite. Otherwise, calcivirosis is treated only in doctor and only those drugs that were prescribed in compliance with the symptoms and health status of a particular animal. Of course, the owner will be interested in whether it is dangerous calcivirosis in cats. For humans and other types of pets (dogs, hamsters, etc.) the virus is not dangerous. But for cats is a very unpleasant disease. Considered younger and the weaker the individual, and even the unvaccinated one, the less chance of healing. In pregnant cats, the disease can cause spontaneous abortion. or the birth of weak kittens with numerous deviations in development. Often, a cat who gives birth passes the virus to her baby, although outwardly looks completely healthy. But adults and strong animals, as a rule, successfully cope with the disease (provided proper treatment), although at least a month remain carriers virus, and sometimes it “sleeps” in their body all their lives. Besides, the recovered animal is able to “pick up” a new strain calcivirosis, then you have to fight the disease-virus again.
In order not to lose a beloved pet, the owner should know about such правилах:
- Котят обязательно нужно прививать в возрасте 8,9 и 48weeks
- It is advisable to exclude cat communication with stray tailed cats. poor fellows;
- Keeping the house clean while cleaning disinfectants;
- Beds, bowls and animal toys are required regularly subject to processing;
- The owner of the cat must monitor their hygiene: the virus can bring to the house on the sole of shoes, dirty hands;
- It is necessary to systematically show the cat to the veterinarian, monitoring the first bells of the disease (see symptoms of calcivirosis).