Often owners who have never experienced childbirth at home pets, have no idea what the duration of pregnancy is cats. But it’s not enough just to say that on average, baby kittens born 63 days after pregnancy. After all, mustachioed pets are individual no less than us humans. Because it makes sense to consider the issue of the period of pregnancy in cats in more detail.
How long can a cat’s pregnancy last?
To the question of how much pregnant cats walk in days, it is customary to call the number “63”. But some animals only 65 days are allowed from burden, others barely carry kids up to 60 days. It is believed that the maximum allowable period pregnancy in cats is 71 days. Minimum – 56-60 days. But there are exceptions, as with all the rules:
- Outbred cats often have less pregnancy laid 63 days. In yard Murok kittens are able to be born strong even for 50 days;
- Offspring of thoroughbred nurses, born before 60 days, sometimes It turns out to be unviable;
- Siamese cats sometimes carry cubs in their stomach longer – 70-75 days;
- Pregnancy duration in cats of a subtle complexion usually no more than 60-65 days. In burly fed cats Often there are cases of postponed pregnancy;
- First time pregnant cats (especially those under the age of 1 year) often give birth prematurely. Moreover, their offspring can be very weak.
Premature Feline Birth
Despite the fact that normally cats carry offspring under the heart in during 56-71 days, in some cases, childbirth occurs too much early. Theoretically, leaving a premature kitten is possible, but with provided that the pregnancy lasted at least 50-55 days. Among the reasons that led to an untimely birth are called:
- The presence in the womb of dead or too weak kittens;
- Infectious diseases (mycoplasmosis, panleukopenia, leptospirosis, etc.);
- Trauma to the abdominal cavity;
- Placental abruption;
- Severe stress or fear.
If a pregnant cat began to behave ahead of schedule too restless, she had a high fever, from vaginal discharge appeared and contractions began, followed contact your veterinarian immediately. The doctor will either remove the drug tone of the uterus, or decide in favor of premature birth.
It also happens when a cat’s pregnancy lasts longer. laid 56-71 days. 70 days after contact with the owner should be on the alert: often the cause of pregnancy become kittens killed in the womb of hypoxia (then either a caesarean section or removal will be selected by the veterinarian uterus to save a cat’s life). There are exceptions when healthy kittens were born even on days 70-75, but less, this is not considered normal. Sometimes labor does not occur in Estimated time period due to miscarriage when not fertilization occurred after mating. Virtually non-pregnant the pet behaves like a future mother: rests a lot, gets better, prepares a place for posterity. Her mammary glands swell, nipples acquire a pink color, even milk appears. But the kittens naturally not born. Distinguish false pregnancy from genuine veterinarian will be able to by palpation or examination Ultrasound
How to behave to the owner with a future mom cat
To help the cat produce healthy offspring on time, to the owner necessary:
- Contact your veterinarian for an ultrasound scan, allowing by mid-pregnancy to identify pathologies in kittens development;
- Contact your doctor if your cat’s behavior or condition atypical (temperature, frequent vomiting, suspicious discharge from vagina, prolonged refusal of food, etc.);
- Handle the expectant mother very carefully. If the house has children, they should also be warned that toss (kick, hug tightly) a cat cannot be;
- Provide the animal with good nutrition. In case of choice industrial feed preferably feed premium maternity cats (Royal Canin Queen, Brit Kea Kat Crazy Kitten, etc.). The cat, accustomed to eating natural food, at least twice a week, put cottage cheese in a bowl, sour cream, cheese (sources of calcium); liver, boiled fish, oatmeal (it contains vitamin D);
- It makes sense to give the cat vitamins for pregnant women, recommended by a doctor (for example, “Farmavit Neo”, “Radostin”, Unitab Mom + Kitty);
- Set the bench in a quiet place, away from drafts and sunny windows.
What a pregnant cat owner should not do
- Unnerve the animal. Acquisition of new pets, invitation guests, noisy parties are better to be postponed until the kittens only come into the world, but also grow up;
- Try to touch to determine the number of kittens. Palpation method the veterinarian can do it, and the owner can easily damage the fetus in mother’s stomach;
- Treat a cat with any medication without coordination with the vet. Ideally, taking care of the animal’s health should even before mating: destroy external and internal parasites, introduce infectious disease vaccines, show the pet to the veterinarian with preventive purpose. If the cat is still sick, being pregnant, you should not self-medicate, because most chemicals are toxic to kitten embryos;
- Ignore possible signals of ill health. Pathological discharge (bloody, greenish, smelling bad) from feline vagina; vomiting too frequent; diarrhea; refusal of food; high or low body temperature is a serious reason to turn to to the veterinarian;
- Let the cat climb to a height. Fall, for example, with the upper shelf of the cabinet is not only fraught with dislocation of the paw of the a pregnant female, but also trauma to her offspring;
- Allow the pet to contact homeless animals. If a there is an opportunity, it’s better not to let the cat leave the limits at all houses;
- Do not observe hygiene. The owner should remember that the eggs and parasite larvae can be anywhere (on grass, in soil, on handrails of public transport, etc.). No need to chat with pregnant cat, without having swollen, without washing his hands, without removing the street clothes
- Use chemical cleaners that may be dangerous to the animal. At the time of cleaning, it is advisable to take the pet to another room.