Often the upcoming offspring of a cat, especially when it comes to is about the first birth, it becomes for the owner a real head pain – how to help your pet? But don’t worry, because cats live by instinct, that is, they know how to behave in difficult situations. Cats know, but what about the owner? Person having at home a cat older than six months, it is worth knowing about the first signs pregnancy, the behavior of the animal in a given period. First a cat’s pregnancy can begin at about 6 months old, it is at this age that the cat reaches puberty and is capable of carry kittens. It should be remembered that at such an early age cats may have problems with lambing: prolonged labor, stillbirth, possibly a serious condition of both mother and offspring. Mating cats up to 1 year (and sometimes up to 1.5 years) is undesirable due to possible health problems. But plans are not always host and animal converge, often nature takes its toll. Because the from about 6-8 months, cats develop estrus (this period restless behavior, frequent purring, sometimes abundant discharge), the owner must be alert.
How long does a cat’s pregnancy last?
It is generally accepted that a cat’s pregnancy lasts 9 weeks, but this does not mean that lambing will occur in 63 days. Childbirth held a few days earlier or later than the alleged deadlines are considered normal. Often kittens born for a week or several weeks ahead of schedule, turn out to be unviable. On the exact timing of labor can be influenced by many factors that can, like accelerate the appearance of offspring, and delay it for some time. Stress, multiple pregnancy, animal age, cat breed (sometimes in long-haired cats, pregnancy may last up to 70-72 days), conditions of detention and much more – reasons that may affect the wearing time of kittens under heart. It may be noted that delivery is too early (pregnancy less than 55 days) or later (more than 75 days) may be pathological, and the owner should contact the veterinarian for help.
The first signs of pregnancy in a cat
Surprisingly, the behavior of a pregnant cat is somewhat similar to the behavior of the woman in position. And the owner should treat with special care and attention to the future mommy cat. Most often about pregnancy can say this behavior animal:
- In the first weeks of pregnancy, the cat’s appetite decreases, sometimes vomiting appears;
- The animal becomes less active than before, seeks relax more;
- After about 3 weeks, the animal’s nipples stain more intense pink color and increase;
- After 4 weeks, the animal’s appetite improves markedly, the cat asks for food very often, and her weight becomes more;
- Sometimes a pregnant cat may refuse her beloved food, giving preference to new feeds and even unusual for yourself products
- After 5 weeks, the cat’s stomach is visible to the naked the eye;
- Week 7 is characterized by the movement of the fetus in the abdomen;
- Shortly before giving birth, a cat may be opposed to others. animals (especially the opposite sex), but there are exceptions, when the cat is friendly with everyone;
- The closer the lamb, the more attention the cat requires from the owner, sometimes pursuing him;
- A few days before birth, the animal can look for secluded places for future offspring (in the closet, under the bed). The owner will find a place for childbirth where the cat will feel completely safe;
- The animal is particularly worried in a few days. before giving birth. And on the day of birth, the cat most often purrs continuously, It requires the owner to be constantly near him, often breathing, tries to lick himself, the mucous plug from the cat uterus, vulva increases in size, appears colostrum.
Since a lot depends on the nature of the cat, and on her health at this difficult moment, the animal may be friendly, but sometimes vice versa, overly annoying. Preferably the owner knew exactly when the pet had estrus when it happened knitting. When pregnancy becomes apparent, do not conduct an independent study of the cat’s abdomen for counting kittens. This can cause irreparable harm to the offspring.
False pregnancy in a cat and its symptoms
Sometimes in cats, most often domestic ones, the so-called false pregnancy occurring after 1-2 months after estrus. There can be several true reasons for this: unsuccessful fertilization, cat diseases at the genetic level, mating with a sterile male; medical intervention in animal reproductive system, hormonal failure. Symptoms in the onset of false pregnancy practically do not differ from symptoms of pregnancy of a cat bearing offspring: fast fatigue, decrease, and after the occurrence of increased appetite, nesting, swelling of the mammary glands. There are cases when cats in such conditions they could feed young animals since lactation and the amount of milk secreted could let it. It should be remembered that false pregnancies in cats can lead to many diseases: mastitis, thyroid inflammation glands. Therefore, the owner will have to consult a specialist for diagnosis and treatment of cats.
Caring for a pregnant cat
Cat Feeding During Pregnancy
Full nutrition during pregnancy is crucial for cats. Those animals that eat natural foods should begin to feed intensively from about 3 weeks of gestation, including in their diet: boiled and chopped meat, vegetables and fruits (if the cat loves them), cereals in small quantities, sour milk products. Vitamins and minerals should be added to food, prescribed by a doctor for pregnant cats. When eaten industrial feed you need to carefully study the recommendations for feeding, always leave clean drinking water for the animal. It is desirable that the feed was of the highest quality – economy feed low grade are harmful for both cats and kittens.
What should i avoid while having a cat at home?
- No need to conduct an independent study of the animal: palpate the stomach, press on it to determine the amount kittens;
- You can’t let the cat climb on the cabinets, climb the carpets, in a word, to be on top;
- Do not offend, punish, force the animal and scream at him;
- Do not feed poor-quality or junk food;
- It is undesirable to pick up a cat in the last week pregnancy, it is better to ensure her comfort and peace;
- Medicines (for fleas, worms and others), purchased independently and without a doctor’s recommendation can cause harm to animals and offspring.
How to help a cat during and after birth?
Most often, the birth of a cat can last from 6 hours or more, try to be near the animal at this time, as finding the owner nearby will reassure the cat. You can often hear tips on cutting the umbilical cord to kittens, wiping them with napkins, but the cat is able to handle it herself, even the one that gives birth for the first time. A place for childbirth must be taken care of in advance. Matched box for cat, litter should be pretty large so that the animal can easily change position go to bed, turn around. Often a cat after childbirth seek to hide offspring in hard-to-reach places, therefore the owner should try to restrict access in advance animal to linen, the contents of cabinets, shelves, beds and spaces below them. To make the cat feel safe, she and her kittens should be equipped with a comfortable place in a quiet and a quiet corner of the house. In this case, the owner should monitor purity of litter (especially in the first days after childbirth), availability bowls of clean water are nearby, and a bowl of food should be put closer to the animal, in the first days after birth, the cat is reluctant leaves kittens even for food. The feeding cat should eat high-quality and healthy food, while giving preference is better to wet foods – their use has a better effect on lactation of the animal.