Pit bull is a formidable dog that requires a special approach to upbringing. In addition, these animals have their own characteristics in nutrition plan with which owners of this breed should be Familiarized before purchasing such a pet. What to feed pit bull, so that the dog was fed, healthy and cheerful?
- 1. Features of feeding pit bull
- 2. Natural foods in the diet of pit bull
- 3. Feeding the pit bull with prepared feeds
- 4. What you can not feed the pit bull
Pit Bull Feeding Features
The American Pit Bull Terrier is a breed that has a tendency to allergic reactions, which means that the dog’s diet should exclude possible allergens.
The owner of the pit bull always has a choice whether to feed a pet natural food, or prefer specialized finished feed. And you need to take into account what to feed pit bull waste from cooking in no way. Natural food should consist of meat suitable for feeding dogs cereals and added vegetables and greens.
Still in the process of acquiring a four-legged friend you need to ask what the puppy eats, what food he’s used to and in general, get detailed advice on proper feeding dogs of this breed. Just-weaned baby fed cow’s milk.
American pit bulls are growing quite rapidly (you can read how old dogs grow up). Already by the age of eight reach the size of an adult dog. After that begins intensive set of muscle mass. Based on this feature development, nutrition should be clearly regulated and aimed at maintaining certain physiological features.
Pit bulls have a special skin and coat, due to which the dog has a tendency to form subcutaneous wen. Again, this has a direct relationship with those consumed. products. As soon as at least one formation was discovered, pet ration should be completely revised. From the menu it is recommended to exclude flour products, sweets, reduce high fat animal foods – butter, sour cream, etc.
The basic rules for feeding pit bulls include following:
- under no circumstances should you feed your pet food from your own table;
- it is absolutely impossible to overfeed pit bulls, this leads to the fact that the dog begins to be lazy is gaining excess weight;
- starving a dog is also not worth it, if it is malnourished becomes irritable, restless;
- food for the pit bull should not be very hot, but also cold these dogs should not be given;
- pit bulls, like any other spoiled dog, can refuse food, hoping for more delicious food; in this case you need to show your character your pet, and give an opportunity to a couple days to starve.
To improve the digestion of the pet, it is necessary to provide him 30-minute rest before and after meals. In the morning it’s better to give the dog lighter food, leaving more nutritious meals for evening feeding.
Natural foods in the diet of pit bull
Any dog is fed according to its age, number of feedings Pit bull puppies should be as follows:
- From one and a half to two months of age – 6 times a knock;
- From 2.5 to 3 months – 5 times a day;
- From 4 to six months – 4 times a day;
- From six months to eight months of age, you can switch to three meals a day;
- From the age of 8 months you can already feed the pit bull as an adult dog – twice a day.
In this mode, a clear tendency to decrease the number of feedings, and each time the portion should increase until the puppy approaches adult mode dogs.
Be sure to follow the regime, the water should change twice in a day. Pet owners should deal only with the owners, to entrust this business to other people is not worth it. If the pit bull proceeded to a meal, you can’t distract him, try to stroke, comb and other things.
Puppies are often fed, food should be highly nutritious value, portions should be small, this contributes to a better its assimilation. Every day the puppy should eat 100 grams of meat, and a portion of offal – heart (chicken, calf), liver (chicken, beef), or beef lung.
Every day, a puppy needs 40-50 grams of cottage cheese of 2-4% fat, 100-150 grams of vegetables (grated carrots, pumpkins, zucchini, turnips), 100 ml of milk. A couple of times a week, it is advisable to give one boiled egg.
It is recommended to feed puppies of a pit bull with porridges cooked on milk. The following cereals are suitable for this:
- oat flakes;
A teenage dog (7-8 months) needs more meat food, than an adult pet – 600 grams per day, later a serving can be cut to 450 grams.
Feeding the pit bull with prepared feeds
Pit bulls can perfectly eat ready-made feeds. You can transfer puppies to him from two months of age. But do it is necessary with caution, carefully monitoring the condition pet.
When choosing the right food, it is best to give preference premium products and focus on the age of small pet.
So that everything goes smoothly, the pet is initially given several feed pellets as a treat. Then two or three days it is necessary to observe the condition of the dog for manifestation an allergic reaction or an intestinal upset.
If the puppy feels great, then you can start feeding his finished feed. For a small pet, daily serving is 110-120 grams, it must be divided into several time. Initially, feed pellets are soaked in boiled water, whole milk, low-fat kefir or yogurt. With this type nutrition it is very important to provide the animal with free access to drinking water.
If we talk about adult American pit bulls, then they too you need to select a quality feed that is suitable for feeding large dogs. The composition has a special requirement – the protein content is not higher than 25%. It is imperative to balance minerals such as calcium and phosphorus. Surplus in the dog’s body phosphorus can provoke a malfunction of the nervous system, for example, the pet may suffer pathological cowardice. Therefore many breeders of American pit bull terriers do not recommend introducing into pet food diet, where the main component is fish.
Even if the selected feed is perfectly balanced, still you must regularly treat your pet with raw vegetables and cartilage bones. This is necessary to prevent diseases of the teeth and gums, especially from the formation of tartar.
What can not be fed pit bull
There are many foods that have no place in the diet. dogs:
- Broccoli – toxic, especially if consumed in large quantities.
- Grapes – adversely affects the condition of the pet’s kidneys.
- Mushrooms – the toxins they contain can affect health dogs.
- Baking from yeast dough – causes fermentation processes in intestines, accompanied by the release of alcohol.
- Animal fat – adversely affects the entire digestive tract dogs.
- Sugar substitute – helps lower sugar levels in blood.
- Potatoes – in most dogs, including pit bulls, this a vegetable can cause diarrhea.
- Milk – it is perfect for puppies, but for adults Pet influences as a laxative.
- Confectionery – dogs do fine without sweets that provoke problems with teeth, digestive a path, cause obesity.
Pit bull terriers do not need an additional source of salt, they take everything they need from the products. It should be excluded from the dog’s diet is all fatty, fried, seasoned with spices. Give bread pit bulls are also not recommended, unless sometimes, as treats, offer rye crackers.
Can bones be given to the pit bull terrier? Definitely not! Gnawing bones can lead to various negative consequences:
- broken teeth;
- damage to the oral cavity by sharp fragments;
- bones often get stuck between teeth, causing the dog pain;
- more serious consequences – stuck bones in the area esophagus, trachea, stomach;
- eating bones can cause constipation.
There are frequent cases where bone fragments do not leave the intestines naturally, but remain in it. This leads to intestinal obstruction. The situation is not easier when the sharp edges of the bone damage the rectum, and the dog begins to bleed.
Damage to the walls of the stomach or intestines may become cause bacterial infection. Arising in this way peritonitis can lead to the death of a pet.
How to properly and how to feed your beloved pet, the right to decide only to the owner. But still it’s important to consult before with a specialist.