Before you get a thoroughbred pet, you should know that only a specialist and a DNA test can accurately determine – pure blood dog, or a cross. You do not need to do this if if the dog is equipped with a pedigree, but what if purchased without documents? Or accidentally hit the house? There are several criteria according to which it is possible, albeit approximately, but understand how to determine the breed of the dog.
- 1. Basic methods for determining breed
- 2. Varieties of dogs
- 3. Methods for determining the breed
- 4. Features of the structure of the body
Basic breed determination methods
It is worth noting that if the dog is a mestizo, then determine the pet’s attitude to a particular breed in puppyhood is not no possibility. Often the signs of the breed appear only to year, but no one can guarantee it.
Of course, when it comes to dogs with severe symptoms breeds, for example, dachshund, or sharpei, then they can be seen in milk puppy.
In the absence of experience, it is very difficult to identify even purebred puppy, so buying with your hands always carries certain risks. An undocumented dog is considered Outbred, even if her parents are pure blood. But it is not means that she has poor qualities or will not have defining signs. It only says that the owners you must be extremely attentive to the characteristics of the puppy, and it is better to consult with a dog handler or breeders of this breed.
If it is necessary to determine the breed in an adult dog, then you can independently analyze the available signs, writing them down, and re-read a lot of information.
If the dog “noblewoman” is not in the first generation, then most likely detect her breed signs will not work. But this is not a reason for disorders, since quite often, outbred tetrapods superior in intelligence to their titled brothers. Yes and with health, and the duration of their life cycle much better.
Varieties of dogs
If you know at least the basic criteria, then it can be attributed available signs to a particular breed.
Dogs are primarily divided into the following types:
- Thoroughbred, breeding, thoroughbred. This is a dog having pedigree and a special electronic chip on which to apply specific number. In addition, such dogs are stigmatized. Learn about the origin of both the dog and his ancestors, in this If it’s as simple as that, you need to contact a veterinary clinic or any club of dog breeders.
- Phenotype. If the pet is a spilled German shepherd, or one in one dachshund, but does not have supporting documents, then before he will receive a “zero pedigree” will be considered outbred.
- Metis. This definition refers to all dogs with an indefinite origin, those whose parents (one or both) do not belong to any breed. If a person decides to purchase a puppy from a purebred bitch and an unknown father, then he should be ready for that the pet, if not immediately, but will show signs outbred or a mixture of phenotypes.
Methods for determining the breed
Of course, if there is a stigma, then, in most cases, there will be a phenotype is noticeable, and learning about the breed of a dog will not amount to labor. In other cases, you have to work hard and turn attention to many factors:
- Determination of breed by age. Any signs of breed have dependence on the age of the dog, which is determined by the state teeth. Special exhibition schedules and diagrams have been developed, according to which calculates the time of replacement of deciduous teeth or abrasion permanent. But you can only rely on this data if if the dog grows and develops strictly according to plan, bite and eat it balanced. Practice shows that you can meet a young dog with bad, worn teeth or a puppy, having tartar. The only thing that works anyway this is the same period of tooth change that occurs between 4 to 7 months.
- Dimensions of dogs. This is one of the most important criteria by definition. breed. The size of the animal is taken based on its weight and height:
- miniature dog – weight maximum 5 kg, height 30 cm;
- small – 5-12 kg, height 30-40 cm;
- medium size – 12-20 kg, 40-55 cm;
- large – 20-30 kg, 55-65 cm;
- very large – 30-50 kg, 65-75 cm;
- giant dog – weighing more than 50 kg and above 75 cm.
When orienting on the dimensions of the animal, it is necessary to pay attention to his age. Determination of the dimensions of the dog in puppy age is incorrect. As usual, puppies are disproportionate the structure of the body is a large head and paws, a spherical belly. In addition, all puppies are clumsy, cannot avoid dangers in a timely manner and are afraid of sudden movements and sounds, even minor ones.
- Types of coat. There is a conditional division of dogs into following varieties:
- Naked There is no complete coat. Also in this category include dogs with a small fluff on the body, crest or a small amount of hair on the legs.
- Shorthair. The dog is covered with an even coat of hair. a maximum of 1 cm. At the same time, it stands upright.
- Half-long-haired. The length of the coat varies from one to four centimeters. In most cases, dogs with this coat there is undercoat (down hair), sometimes a thick coat collar and riding breeches. On the stomach, wool can absent.
- Longhair. Wool is longer than 4 cm, it is dense, thick undercoat, pronounced collar and riding breeches. Most often large the area of the abdomen is covered with hair.
It is worth noting that in the warm season the dog may the undercoat is missing, and the long-haired bitch may have an external look like a half-long-haired dog.
- The structure of the bone corset. If the definition of breed carried out by photo, then you can analyze the type of structure body. By measuring the width of the sternum, back, pelvis, paws and total body length, it will be possible to weed out many breeds, making it much easier for yourself task. The skeleton of dogs has its own division:
- Narrow. Chest size equal to or close to the width of the pelvis. In most cases, such indicators indicate that that the pet has excellent running data. In this case it is worth looking for a dog to beagle or greyhound breeds.
- Middle. The size of the sternum is the same as the pelvis, or wider. it the most extensive group of dogs, to which almost all service breeds of medium size. Under these sizes fall and dachshunds. and German shepherds.
- Wide. In dogs with such a skeleton, a powerful, developed chest cage and heavy, wide pelvis. Of course, such a pet will have large dimensions and if he has a long coat, then, most likely it belongs to the herding breeds – Caucasian, Central European Shepherd, etc.
- Shortened. Already at first glance, the animal has the form square. In this case, short legs are often observed, but not always.
- Elongated. A dog with such a skeleton has a rectangular body forms, hind legs slightly longer than forepaws – this is especially noticeable when the pet takes the stance.
Body structure features
In addition, there are many features by which will rank the dog in a specific breed:
- Type of ears – they may be very small or disproportionately large, stand house or hang, be cropped or medium in size.
- Type of tail – long, short, straight or curled into a ring, raised above the spine or lowered; thick long or short, cropped or not.
- Posture type – dogs have a straight back and condescending.
- Type of skin – tight fitting, dense or has excess in the form of folds.
- Type of coat – sometimes the breed can be determined by the presence of a beard, hair over the eyes, a certain coating paws.
- Type of color – presence of tan marks, spots, strict distribution colors, tiger color.
In addition to all, representatives of different breeds have their own “working” qualities. Hunter dog sniffing outdoors air, and take a stand, seeing the intended prey. Deep instincts are observed in shepherd dogs. Meeting home animal – a cow or a sheep, the dog can begin to fulfill its responsibilities.
If the pet does not show interest in hunting, grazing and not brings a stick, then most likely it is also intended for important business is to be a devoted friend and companion.
In any case, no matter what breed the pet belongs to, it will and a reliable defender, and an excellent hunter, and a best friend, and faithful companion, if the owner will love him and take care of him.