The regimen is important in the dog’s diet, as in the human diet. But some owners unfortunately feed their adult pets randomly, sometimes 5-6 times a day. In particular, this approach dangerous if the menu is also inappropriate for animals: sausages, meatballs, pasta, fried potatoes and so on. What and how much once a day to feed the dog so that its health is at its best? We will try to find the answers in this article.
How to feed an adult doggie?
It is necessary to feed the dog with either industrial feeds or natural food that the owner prepares specifically for his four-legged comrade. If the choice fell on finished products (dry feed or canned food), it is better to give preference to goods of class extra-premium (e.g. Brit Care, Acana, Now Fresh, Belcando, or other). In products of this level, most meat (about 50-70%), нет сои, красителей и консервантов.Еслиit is decided to feed the dog with home-made food, it’s worth choose meat (turkey, beef), vegetables and fruits (cabbage, pumpkin, apples, etc.), cereals (buckwheat, millet), dairy products with small fat content.
How much food should an adult dog eat?
The amount of food eaten per day varies greatly depending on by age of the animal (older dogs may eat a little less young), lifestyle (active need large portions), animal size (small dogs eat less than large ones). However imagine approximate servings (consider dry food and natural menu):
- Small dogs weighing up to 15 kg need to eat about a day 150-300 g of dry food or 100-350 g of natural;
- Up to 400 g should be consumed with an average animal weighing up to 35 kg “drying” or 400-700 g of homemade food;
- “Healthy” from 35 to 50 kg requires about 400-600 g of finished feed or 700-1000 g of “natural”.
It is worth noting that the above data are approximate. Exact the amount of food that should be eaten by the dog will tell veterinarian.
How often to fill a dog’s bowl with food?
It is believed that, ideally, an adult dog should be fed twice a day. The first feeding occurs shortly after sleep, half an hour before a walk. The second feeding is desirable commit 8-9 hours after the first. That is, for example, if feed the dog at 9am the first time, then refill the bowl tasty food is needed at 5-6 o’clock in the evening. It happens that too busy people cannot afford to feed the dog twice a day. And then the dog eats once a day, eating at once daily feed rate. Such feeding, although possible, but undesirable, so that не перегружать систему пищеварения.Итак, сколько раз кормить собаку после года, тоhave an adult, now it’s clear. Now consider some nuances:
- Frequency of feeding puppies. Puppies from 2 to 4 months feed 4-5 times a day, babies from 4 to 6 months – 3-2 times, and already from six months the dogs are transferred to 3-2 meals a day (after 12 months fed 2 times a day);
- Frequency of feeding pregnant dogs. Pregnant dogs feed up to 4-5 times a day, while increasing portions by 25-40 %;
- Frequency of feeding older dogs. Elderly dogs are fed three times a day (morning, afternoon and evening). The volume of food is not increased, but simply divided into three (i.e. servings become smaller, but eats doggie old man more often).
Some nuances of two meals a day
It would seem that feed an adult pet morning and evening, and that’s all. A what if the dog begs for food between the two feedings? You can do this:
- First you need to analyze whether the dog eats that portion that is in the bowl. For example, the average weight the dog should eat about 400 g of dry, good food. But if the animal is active, then it is reasonable to increase the portion by 50-100 g. If the animal is inactive, the portion size can be slightly reduced by the same 50-100 g;
- Whether the dog is hungry is also affected by the quality of the feed (how ready-made and personally cooked). If the dog is eating economy feed or natural meat poor meat, nothing surprisingly, she will be tormented by a feeling of hunger. So cheap feed should be given 100-200 g more than expensive and quality (ideally, generally transfer the animal to products though would be premium quality). In the natural diet, you need to include protein foods – meat, fish, offal, eggs;
- Dogs are noble manipulators. If the owner is following fawning tailed friend, treating him to a sausage or unscheduled portion, it is not surprising that the pet will begging. However, even out of pity, do not feed endlessly dog, as it threatens obesity and other disorders Gastrointestinal tract;
- If the dog is full, but still looks sadly at the bowl, you can treat him with something light: peeled carrots, dog biscuit or a small portion of kefir;
- In the case when the animal eats well, but looks unnecessarily thin, it is better to consult a specialist. Doctor firstly examines the dog (excellent appetite with insufficient weight may to be, for example, with worms). Secondly, a specialist for sure will tell which feed you need to give preference, as well as will explain how much should be servings.
What the dog owner needs to remember
So, we determined the number of meals for the dog, found out how much food should be given to the pet. And what else needs to be considered to the owner?
- A bowl with water
- The diet of the dog is best coordinated with the veterinarian. This tip especially relevant for dog owners who have problems with health
- With a natural diet, the dog will need a reception vitamins;
- A dog needs 15 minutes to eat. At the end of this time, the remains of the feed must be removed;
- If the dog refuses to eat for one day, then no reason to worry. A pet can, for example, arrange unloading with a slight malaise. However, if there is no appetite 2-3 days, it is better to consult a doctor;
- Overfeeding a dog is even more dangerous than underfeeding. Excess weight is a real problem that disrupts the joints, cardiac and endocrine systems, respiration.