Maine Coons – an amazing breed, represented by 84 variations colors and patterns on wool. Basic suits – only red and black. All the rest are their shades and lightening. Separately the white suit, valued by Maine Coons, stands out. But she herself, her Variations are not a separate color, but the absence of pigment.
Classification of suits
To simplify the characteristics of Maine Coons, felinologists use special encoding EMS. Two main genetic colors are distinguished. breeds – black and red (red). When characterizing a suit separate cats take into account:
- coat color;
- type of drawing;
- the presence of white spots, spots.
The main colors of the hairline are highlighted:
- the black;
There are “coons” of an interesting golden color. But for today he not recognized in the felinological community.
Pigment-free (white) spots are of the following variations:
- “Van” is an almost white cat with small spots of a different colors.
- “Harlequin” – white color acts as a background for large spots a different shade.
- “Bicolor” – two animals are equally represented in the color of the animal colors.
- Separate white spots on paws, breast.
Pattern on the fur of a cat – tabby. It may be as follows variations:
- Chinchilla: painted part – 1/8 hair.
- Shaded: color part – ¼ hair.
- Marble (classic cat pattern).
- Tiger coloring.
- Spotted variation.
- Ticked drawing.
- Agouti – a pattern that has not yet fully formed.
Representatives of this breed have any eye shade, combined with color:
- blue (only for white “coons”);
- different saturation yellow;
- heterochromia (multi-colored eyes – for example, yellow and blue).
There are several main types of suits: tabby (availability drawing), solid (solid, solid, without drawings on the fur coat), smoky, tortie, silver.
Main characteristics of drawings on Maine Coon wool:
- Stripes on the forehead making up the letter “M”.
- Dark streaks on the cheeks.
- A “necklace” of stripes on the chest.
- Dark stroke of eyes, lips, nose.
- Horizontal girdle strips on the legs.
- Small spots on the abdomen.
Four main varieties of the pattern stand out:
- Classic, marble. Round on the sides drawings, stains, along the back are solid lines.
- Spotted. Two options for the picture – dashed stripes or small ones. specks.
- Brindle. On the sides of the cat – vertical spotting, and on the back there is a dark streak.
- Ticked. The pattern is visible only on the “face”. Tip of each the hair is dark.
The most interesting color of the tabby is “forest”, black “marble”. Cat such a suit resembles a wild beast.
The main feature of the solid color is uniform distribution shade throughout the body. Hair color – bright, saturated: hair evenly painted from tip to spine. Disadvantages of standard:
- residual patterns on the body or head;
- the presence of a lighter than awn, undercoat;
- marks of a different shade.
Main Maine Coons:
- the black;
The breed standard does not recognize the following color variations:
- color point;
An interesting color in the category is black. Care, preparation for the exhibition is complicated: the cat needs to be combed out often to remove dead hair, gaining a brown tint. Newer hair less saturated – stand out in a grayish tint. With time they darken turning into saturated black.
Maine Coon black:
An interesting blue solid, more common in Europe than in CIS. The shade of the hair of such a cat is grayish, smoky with a beautiful bluish tint.
Blue Maine Coon:
Red Maine Coons are no less amazing. They are infrequent pure solid color: a tabby pattern appears – tiger stripes, interspersed.
The lighter version of the red solid is cream. This coat cat – a soft shade of cappuccino, ginger. Pure solid color here also not observed – there are spots on the fur coat, tiger stripes.
Cream Maine Coon:
White Maine Coons are very interesting – this is not a separate suit, but her lack of. Animal hairs are not colored with colored pigments. White babies can be born with small colored splashes on “face” – in the process of molting, they leave.
Snow-white cats are blue-eyed. They are characterized by heterochromia – multi-colored eyes. However, such animals are often born deaf. Therefore conscientious breeders never driving two white “coons”.
White color “kuna”:
Smoky “Coons” stand out from other representatives of the breed hair coloring: its basal part is perfectly snow-white. it distinguishes “smoke” from a blue, lightened suit.
Options smoky options: black, blue, tortie. Suit has three types:
- Normal – hair is dyed ½.
- shaded – white wool on ¼.
- chinchilla – the color part is 1/8 of the hair.
Maine Coon smoky color:
If a smoky (with a snow-white “root”) coat has drawings, color is called silver. A kitten is born light – with with age, the hair darkens, stripes appear on it. Breeders distinguish the future silver color from white in the shade of the iris. Blue eyes – in white animals, greenish – in silver.
Maine Coon black tortie color represented by two varieties:
- Torbey. The combination of red and black (or dark brown) shades.
- Cakes. Adding to the red and dark cream shade. If such a suit is clarified, it is considered blue-cream.
Varieties of “turtles” – silvery and smoky.
Interestingly, the tortoiseshell “coons” are mainly cats. Cats such suits can be born with a probability of 1: 1000.
On tortoise animals sometimes white marks of various location, size. If they have clear boundaries, are considered “calico” – “shred”, “chintz”. For suit are characteristic also red spots.
The main color “kuna” can complement a variety of white inclusions:
- “Van.” The cat is completely white. But separate spots are allowed on head, tail, body.
- “Harlequin”. Large spotting on a snow-white background.
- “Bicolor”. The combination of white and color is approximately 50/50.
- “The tuxedo”. The location of the “white shirt” on the chest and front legs.
- “Medallion”. White spot on chest.
- “Mitts”. White “socks” on the legs.
- Buttons. Small white marks, spots throughout the body.
Color table (calculator)
Maine Coons are amazing in that they do not stand out with rare suits. Each unique combination of shades, the presence of tabby, white inclusions. Another interesting point is the same “clothes” It looks different on different “kunas”. It is admissible to state that every Maine Coon rare color.
To determine what color will be the offspring, breeders refer to the suit table of the “forest” breed.