In cats and dogs, various parasitic infections are common, which include external parasites (fleas, ticks) and internal (worms, nematodes, cestodes). Milbemax contains milbemycinoxime and praziquantel. These ingredients are effective in controlling and preventing some of the most common parasitic diseases in dogs and cats. Milbemax used, as a rule, to prevent and control infections, caused by nematodes, tapeworms, heartworms and whipworm in dogs and cats.
Milbemax’s action is based on impaired transmission of nerve impulses leading to the death of the parasite. Praziquantel is effective against worms. It impairs the function of the suction cup of the parasite and stimulates the movement of the worm. This causes a bias attached to the digestive tract parasite and its elimination with feces.
Milbemax and Proziquantel are prescription drugs and can only be purchased with a veterinarian’s prescription.
The use of milbemax / praziquantel for dogs and cats
Milbemax, praziquantel are used to treat nematodes, roundworm, whipworm and tapeworm in dogs and cats. The drug is very effective to prevent heartworm infection. Veterinarians also use milbemax to treat demodectic scabies.
Milbemax is one of the drugs that is effective for destruction of microfilariae.
Precautions and side effects
- Despite the fact that in general the drug is safe and effective at the dosage prescribed by the veterinarian, milbemax may cause side effects in some animals.
- Milbemax / Praziquantel should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
- The drug should not be used for puppies under the age of 2 weeks and kittens under 6 weeks old. This also applies to animals with low body weight less than 500 g.
- The most common side effects are salivation, lethargy, decreased coordination.
- There are several unconfirmed reports of seizures and other disorders of the central nervous system after application milbemax.
- After using milbemax to destroy the heart the worm, the dog must be carefully monitored for shock reactions. If the animal has shock, then it should be hospitalized for maintenance therapy.
How to apply milbemax
Milbemax is available in two versions: for cats, and for dogs.
- Milbemax for adult dogs, containing 12.5 mg milbemycinoxime and 125 mg praziquantel.
- Milbemax for small dogs and puppies containing 2.5 mg milbemycinoxime and 25 mg praziquantel.
- Milbemax for cats containing 16 mg milbemycinoxime and 40 mg praziquantel.
- Milbemax for small cats and kittens containing 4 mg milbemycinoxime and 10 mg prazantantel.
Milbemax dosage for dogs and cats
- The drug can not be used without consulting a veterinarian
- It is recommended to give milbemax with food
- The dosage for dogs weighing from 0.5 to 1 kg is 1/2 milbemax tablets for small dogs and puppies
- The dosage for dogs weighing 1 to 5 kg is 1 tablet milbemax for small dogs and puppies
- The dosage for dogs weighing 5 to 10 kg is 1/2 Milbemax tablets for adult dogs.
- The dosage for dogs weighing 10 to 25 kg is 1 Milbemax tablet for adult dogs.
- The dosage for dogs weighing 25 to 50 kg or more is 2 Milbemax tablets for adult dogs.
- Dosage for small cats and kittens weighing 0.5 kg to 1 kg is 1/2 milbemax tablet for little cats and kittens.
- The dosage for cats weighing 1 kg to 2 kg is 1 tablet milbemaks for small cats and kittens.
- The dosage for cats weighing 2 kg to 4 kg is 1/2 tablet milbemax for adult cats.
- The dosage for cats weighing 4 kg to 8 kg is 1 tablet milbemax for adult cats.
Be sure to use the product according to the instructions for use and according to the instructions of the veterinarian. Even if your the pet is better, he must undergo a full course of treatment to prevent re-infection. Monthly dosage as generally recommended for heartworm prevention (filarium).
The cost of the drug milbemax
The price of milbemax depends on the dosage (destination) and form release. The average cost of the drug varies from 150 to 400 rubles. You can order or purchase milbemax, as a rule, in any pet store or veterinary pharmacy.