Why should you restrict the dog and accustom it to the cage?
Dogs are very social animals that become wonderful pets, however, due to the complex the schedule and lifestyle of most families, dogs must learn be home for some of the day alone while their family is in departure. At a time when you are not at home and you cannot to control the pet, he can still feel the need chew, play, explore, eat, etc. This behavior may be destructive to the home and distressing to you. Dog training, so that she spends this time in the cage will help prevent these unwanted or dangerous actions.
Teaching a dog to stay in a cage is like teaching a child sleep in a crib or play in the playpen. This training also has of great importance for flying on an airplane, in case you have many guests, or when you and your whole family go on vacation. Accustoming to cage is one of the fastest and most effective ways dog home training. If you need to leave the dog in nursery or hotel, then this training will help minimize stress in your dog while you are there. Sometimes dogs don’t tolerate being in the cell and continue to be anxious even after some training. These dogs can do better. adapt to other types of restrictions, such as small a room, paddock or restricted area in the house.
Where to start training?
- Prepare a cage or box and make sure that it is enough great for the dog so she can stand, turn and stretch out. Some dogs feel more protected if a blanket is thrown over the cage.
- Place the cage in the room where the family spends time, for example, in the kitchen or in the bedroom, where the dog can sleep for at night.
How to teach a puppy to a cage?
- Show the cage to the puppy as soon as he appears in the house, if it is perhaps then on the same day. Put different goodies in a cage so that the puppy can voluntarily and independently enter it.
- If the puppy is tired and calmed down, then he may fall asleep soon after putting him in a cage. If not, provide him with some new and stimulating toys with which he can play or chew. Thus, a cell or box will perform two functions – bed function for puppy (crib) and play area (arena).
- Leave the room, but stay close enough to hear the puppy. Nervous behavior and vocalization (crying, barking or whimpering) should be expected when the dog is first placed in the cage. Ignore the puppy until it calms down, never let the puppy out if he is not quiet.
- When your puppy has calmed down, you can praise him slightly and reward a treat.
- Repeat the procedure several times during the day, including for sleeping a puppy, and each time give him a toy with which you can play and chew. Each time increase the time the dog is in cage before releasing it. Also, each time give the puppy the opportunity to exercise and go to the toilet before placing him into the cage.
- Before going to bed, the puppy should play enough, and then be placed in a cage at night. Do not go to him if he is crying, but not leave him in the cage longer than he can control his intestines and bladder, as it will be forced to go to toilet in the cage.
- Remember that you need to positively reinforce the calm puppy behavior in the cage and provide it with stimulation inside (toys that can be chewed).
- If your puppy will still be excited after repeating indicated instructions, stop preparation and consult with vet for more help.
How to train an adult dog?
Training adult dogs is similar to training puppies. Nevertheless, it may take more time and patience. Set cage or drawer for several days with the door open in the place where you feed the dog.
Put food, treats and water in a cage so that the dog I entered it on my own. As soon as the dog starts regularly without difficulty entering the cage, start closing the door at a very short periods of time. Do not forget to follow the same principles that apply in training puppies.