Body temperature is an important physiological parameter, allowing you to track the condition of the dog. Often the owners don’t know how to measure the temperature of the pet at home correctly.
Dog body temperature
In normal condition, the body temperature in dogs varies in the range of 37.5 – 39.0 ° C. Some variation is due to the influence of a number of factors: breed, age, state of health. So u miniature breeds and in puppies, characterized by accelerated exchange substances, body temperature usually reaches 38.5 – 39.2 ° C.
Slight excesses of average values may be caused by experiencing stress, estrus, heat, high activity. Typically, in such cases, an increase in the upper limit by 0.2 – 0.3 degrees.
To have an idea of what body temperature is the norm for a particular animal, should be periodically in at rest check it.
Temperature measurement: step by step instructions
In a familiar environment, the animal is not stressed, therefore measuring the temperature of the house is quite simple. Need to do following:
- Prepare a thermometer and put on gloves.
- Lubricate the tip of the thermometer with baby cream or petroleum jelly.
- Put the dog on its side. If you can’t do this, you can carry out the procedure and in a standing position.
- Lift the base of the tail with your left hand.
- With your right hand, carefully insert the tip of the device into the sphincter anus, not forgetting to praise and encourage the pet.
- Deepen the thermometer by about 2 cm.
- Wait for the required time (depending on the type of device). In waiting time you need to talk quietly and gently with the dog so that she kept calm.
- Carefully remove the thermometer, evaluate the result.
- Treat the tip of the device with a soapy solution.
It is not difficult to measure the temperature of the dog at home if during the whole process to soothe and cheer the pet.