With the beginning of spring, all living things wake up, but, unfortunately, not only beautiful: dangerous and terrible come to life from hibernation insects are ticks.
Ticks can seriously damage your health. dogs, however, the greatest danger is not in the bite, and in those diseases that the insect is capable of carry over.
To protect the pet, breeders often choose a collar from ticks for dogs. The choice of a collar will be discussed in this article.
A dog tick collar is recommended to be worn constantly, even at night. Otherwise, the desired effect will not be achieved.
- 1 Principle of operation
- 2 Advantages and disadvantages
- 3 How to use a collar
- 4 How to choose a collar
The flea and tick collar is made of plastic in the form of a flexible belts and buckles, such a product can often exude a characteristic smell: toxic chemicals present in the collar to deter unwanted guests.
These protective products are made for dogs of all breeds, whether before large pets like groenendael, Kuvas or Weimaraner, or small ones, like a Russian toy terrier and papillon.
The principle of the collar begins to appear after some time since he was wearing the dog’s neck.
Insecticidal substances begin to be released from the product, distributed over the coat and surface of the dog’s skin.
During wearing, the necessary concentration is maintained.
Wearing this product is recommended all the time, even at night, otherwise, the desired effect will not be achieved.
– Mistress, where is my collar from ticks and fleas?
What are flea and tick collars:
- Chemical. Similar products contain chemical substances harmful to parasites, they are used only for adult dogs because of the likely toxicity.
- Biological. Action biological Collars are based on the healing properties of herbs and essential oils, products can be used for puppies, pregnant dogs, as well as for sick pets.
- Ultrasonic Universal class products do not contain any odor or any chemicals. Although such products are more expensive, many dog breeders consider them less effective.
A collar is a simple and inexpensive way to prevent fleas and ticks, moreover, it is very convenient for the dog itself
Advantages and disadvantages
As with cat collars, the chemical composition of the products is safe for humans, but it able to cause toxic and allergic reactions in animal.
A significant drawback is individual intolerance components, which causes the development of allergies in dogs.
That is why for every pet are mandatory preventive examinations at the veterinarian.
Important! In the early hours, collar socks are not let the dog out of sight, the initial symptoms of the reaction appear almost immediately, it may be a rash or itching. Similar allergy is not dangerous for the animal, passes in mild form.
The simultaneous use of a collar will increase the positive effect. and special shampoos and repellents based on essential oils
The benefits of flea and tick collars are significantly more:
- This is a simple and significantly inexpensive way to prevent fleas and ticks, moreover, it is very convenient for the dog itself – like harness, it does not deliver discomfort during the walk.
That it is better to use: a collar or a harness, will tell article https://kot-pes.com/chto-luchshe-dlya-sobaki-osheynik-ili-shleyka/
- The method is hygienic: in contrast to the application special drops of the collar sock does not require drying of the coat, the owner does not have to be afraid that his pet will lick the medicine or stains furniture.
- Most products have a wide range of effects. protection not only against ticks, but against fleas, whipworms and other insects.
- Modern biological options are absolutely safe for dogs.
- Modern chemical collars do not adversely affect on the body of an animal, the daily dose of active substances is extremely small for the development of disease in a dog.
Flea and tick collars can be considered safe and effective. means, however, do not forget that a positive result possible only by following the instructions.
Even the highest quality and most expensive option with excellent reputation with dog breeders may not be effective and even dangerous if used improperly.
Most collars have a wide range of actions, this is protection not only from ticks, but also from fleas, water-eaters and other insects
How to use a collar
Having bought a collar, you need to unpack it, remove the plastic jumpers, slightly stretching the product, it must be put on the dog.
Adjust the collar to fit the neck of the animal, leaving a gap of 1.5 centimeters. Loose ribbon rings need to be cut.
A properly worn product will exclude the development of dermatitis, and will also contribute to an even distribution of substances.
Important! If the dog already has fleas, it is first necessary to conduct treatment with a special shampoo, and only then use the collar.
How to cure a dog of fleas is written here: https://kot-pes.com/kak-vivesti-blox-u-sobaki/
When using a collar, the following should be considered. nuances:
- Increase the positive effect of simultaneous use protective products and special shampoos and repellents on based on essential oils. Use is possible only if if the instruction of such combinations does not prohibit.
- Within two to three days of the first sock, should be excluded forest walks, walks in poorly sunlit areas, and also water treatments.
Modern chemical collars do not adversely affect on the body of an animal, the daily dose of active substances is extremely small for the development of diseases in a dog
Keep the open collar in an airtight bag in a dry and a place protected from sunlight at a temperature of 0 to 25 degrees. The collar has a shelf life of 2 years.
Important! The flea and tick collar is preventative measure, this is not a parasitic treatment diseases and tick bites. Before using the product, make sure your dog is not an insect carrier, if necessary, pre-cure the animal from fleas and ticks. It is also necessary to do regular vaccinations to the pet.
Within two to three days of the first collar wear exclude forest walks, walks in poorly lit by the sun localities as well as water treatments
How to choose a collar
The flea and tick collar must be selected individually for each pet.
When choosing a product, you can and should be guided by such criteria:
- Manufacturer and reviews. Choose products of trusted brands, having previously studied the reviews buyers.
- Information on the packaging. Attentively read the information that the manufacturer indicates on the packaging, in it may indicate the concentration of active substances suitable breed and age of dogs.
- The size. Sure, choose the right size so that the dog I felt comfortable.
- Saving. But save on anti-mite device is not worth it: cheap options products can be not only not effective, but also dangerous.
- The country of manufacture. Preference should be given to products of domestic and European production should not be considered China.
Important! Even a quality and expensive collar may cause severe poisoning of the dog or small child, if any of them decides to chew the tip of the product. Bona fide manufacturers indicate the names in the instructions antidotes, in this case veterinarians and doctors will be able to provide assistance in a timely manner.
Choose products of proven brands, previously having studied customer reviews
Among the whole variety of flea and tick collars, you can highlight the most popular and effective products:
- Foresto collar and drops Advantix from Bayer. Antiparasitic collars and drops are the most popular and effective means. Veterinarians often recommend products such as products. Foresto® company and Advantix® drops. Main advantage of these drugs – maximum protection of the animal from dangerous bites ticks and insects due to repellent action. Choose between drugs can be made depending on the habitat of the pet: for active dogs, often walking in nature, in the forest and around Pond suitable for waterproof collars Foresto® with long-term protection up to 8 months, and for pets who prefer city parks and Departure out of town for the weekend – Advantix® drops.
- Kiltix. Collars of this brand begin to act after 24 hours, remain active up to 7 months. Products suitable for adult and healthy dogs, not recommended for puppies, pregnant and lactating bitches, as well as sick to animals.
- Hartz UltraGuard Flea & Tick Collar. Moisture-resistant products with a fresh pleasant aroma, their action begins immediately after donning, active up to 7 months. Products of this brand are not recommended for little puppies less than 6 weeks old.
- SCALIBOR. Protection against flying and creeping insects provide for 6 months, maximum protective effect is achieved after a week of socks. Products of this brand can be used for pregnant women. and lactating dogs, however not recommended for puppies less than 7 years old weeks.
Saving on a mite collar is not worth it: cheap options products can be not only ineffective, but also dangerous
- Beaphar Ungezieferband. Effective collars of this brand are guaranteed protection for 2-5 months, according to weight and size of the animal have no restrictions. Product Activity It is reached in 5 days from the beginning of use. Not recommended sick and pregnant dogs, puppies younger than six months.
- Rolf Club. Low toxic products from fleas and ticks, odorless, remain active for 4 months of constant wear. It is not recommended to use products in in combination with other active agents, are contraindicated sick dogs and puppies.
Preference should be given to domestic and European-made, should not be considered China
When choosing a tick-borne disease, it is equally important to consider age features of the dog, as well as its state of health.
Dog tick collar: which is better?
A dog tick collar is a great way to protect your dog. pet from dangerous insects in the spring and summer. Collars releasing active substances, scare away fleas and ticks.