Cat’s long-awaited birth is joyful and exciting moment.
To reduce your feelings and help Kisula, you need a good prepare both practically and theoretically.
Prudence of the owner – the guarantee that everything will pass calmly and as needed.
A few days before the birth, you can find out about approaching miracle. You will receive several signaling calls: descended abdomen, swelling of the vulva, discharge, lowering body temperature
- 1 Preparation for childbirth
- 2 Signs of the onset of labor
- 3 The birth process
- 4 What kind of participation in labor is necessary on the part of the owner
- 5 When to call a veterinarian
- 6 Cat after birth
Preparation for childbirth
The pregnancy of the cat lasts 63-65 days. it happens so that childbirth begins 70 days after conception.
If the future mother feels well, eats normally, she has no digestive disorders, and the kittens in the stomach move like usually, then there is no reason to panic, leave until the 70th day kitty alone.
What you need to do to give birth to a cat at home were successful?
Organize a maternity ward
Prepare a sturdy cardboard box measuring (L / W / H) 50/50/30 cm.
It should be with a removable “roof” so you can help appear to kittens, and then spend there a small cleaning.
The box should be placed in a place where there are no drafts and noise.
The owner’s task is to organize a convenient maternity ward for the cat, where it will be comfortable and safe for women in labor and kittens
Some install a heating pad under the bottom of the “socket”, others they put an infrared lamp over it – this is not important, it’s important so that the following temperature conditions are observed in the box:
- the first week after childbirth – 29 C
- the second – 26 C
- third – 23 C
- fourth and subsequent – 21 C
It is also necessary to leave a place where there is no heating, so that the cat could lie there if she gets hot.
Take care of the hygiene and safety of the maternity ward places
Do not lay soft and thin fabric on the bottom, in its folds blind babies can get confused and suffocate.
Let it be several layers of newspapers or clean soft paper. Moreover, the cat before birth, following instinct, wants to rummage, equip your “nest”.
Introduce the kitty to the maternity site in advance. If she refuses to dwell in it, give the opportunity to produce offspring in her chosen place, and after all the same move the mother with the children to prepared conditions
Make sure the box has no annoying odors. Otherwise In this case, the cat simply refuses to give birth and raise babies in it.
The entrance to the box should be located at the level of the cat’s chest, this about 10 cm from the floor.
So it will be better protected from drafts, and kittens will not be able to crawl out by accident.
Introduce the kitty with the box in advance. If she refuses it dwell, give the opportunity to produce offspring in her chosen place, and after all the same move the mother with the children to the prepared conditions.
Keep everything you need for childbirth on hand, because the process can start at any time
Collect the necessary “equipment”
- Cotton fabric
- Cotton pads
- Waterproof diapers
- Sharp scissors (wipe them with alcohol before childbirth)
- Umbilical cord thread
- Hydrogen peroxide and iodine
- Disposable syringes, preferably insulin syringes, and oxytocin
- Small rubber bulb
12-24 hours before the birth begins, the cat goes down body temperature up to 37 ° C, maybe even lower; and after maximizing her after a day, the cat begins to give birth
Signs of the onset of labor
A lowered stomach, which, as it were, reaches the floor.
Puffiness of the vulva, yellowish in 1-4 days from the loop, clear mucus.
The mammary glands swell, the nipples increase in 2-4 days colostrum begins to stand out.
Behavior change. 6-24 hours before birth, the cat is looking for a place.
At this time, you can once again remind her of the cooked a drawer.
12-24 hours before the birth begins, the cat goes down body temperature up to 37 C, maybe even lower; and after maximizing her after a day, the cat begins to give birth.
By birth, her body temperature becomes normal, then rises to 39.5 C and can last up to two days. There is no it’s okay if kitty is not oppressed.
Kittens appear in the bubbles that the mother must gnaw. Following the bubbles on the umbilical cord, usually comes the last, his cat eats – do not interfere with this
After the onset of labor at kitty, after a certain time from the vagina a mucous plug comes out.
Before taking birth with a cat, close the door to the room – animal with a fright can run out, do not wait for special consciousness from woman in childbirth.
The most difficult thing is the exit of the first kitten, then the process goes easier.
Kittens appear in the bubbles that the mother should to gnaw at.
Following the bubbles on the umbilical cord, usually comes the last (similar to a piece of liver), his cat eats – do not interfere!
In the aftermath there is a hormone that stimulates childbirth and education milk.
However, do not give a lot of aftermaths, 3 are enough, otherwise mother and her babies may have an upset stomach.
You might think that the cat herself will do a great job childbirth, but the role of the owner in the process of giving birth to a cat is difficult overestimate. You should be there all the time, and render in any moment help
What kind of participation in labor is necessary on the part of the owner
- If the cat cannot give birth, the kitten half stuck: put the cat in a pose “poop”, take a soft cloth and gently pull the baby by the scruff, swinging right and left, synchronously with contractions. Can not be taken body or limbs! If the baby is walking with legs, do not burst the bubble; if the head – you can help him break the bubble so that he breathing.
- The cat is in no hurry to free the baby from the bubble and / or gnaw him umbilical cord: do it yourself as possible faster by breaking a bubble on the kitten’s face. Then a napkin wipe the head and with your finger in the same napkin clean your mouth from mucus. Gently pinch the kitten with a little shake. Now you can cut the umbilical cord in 2 centimeters from the baby’s tummy, pre-dragging it with a thread, disinfect with peroxide and attach cotton wool with iodine for a second. The umbilical cord is also worth cut yourself if, after the birth of a cat, milf in within 5 minutes did not do it herself.
If the born kitten does not breathe, place it between your palms and gently bend-unbend the body so that its knees reach to the chest. Point the nose toward the floor, down
Important! Any action with the umbilical cord should not to pull the kitten’s tummy.
- There was no last: you can try pull it very carefully by the umbilical cord. In case of failure, through 2-3 hours after the cat gives birth to all the babies, give her an injection oxytocin (0.2 ml) in the thigh.
- A born kitten does not breathe: lay it between the palms and gently bend-bend the body so that his knees reached his chest. Point the nose to the floor down. If these manipulations did not help, you can put a kitten between palms head to fingers and vigorously, but neatly shake it, making a swing, as if you are chopping wood, sharply lowering hands down. Make 3-5 such movements, now massage the breast and whole body with your index finger and then suck the mucus out of your mouth and a nose with a rubber bulb. Continue these manipulations until baby won’t start breathing.
If something went wrong during childbirth and you cannot monitor immediately call your veterinarian
When to call a veterinarian
In general, call your doctor if you experience any disturbing circumstances that you cannot handle. Among them may be such:
- When the waters diverged and contractions began, but within 6-8 hours did not the first kitten appeared.
- After giving birth, the cat began to cramp.
- Blood discharge after childbirth is too profuse, strange color or bad smell.
The cat after childbirth needs enhanced nutrition. Feed mom 5-6 times a day should be light, low-fat food, which, perhaps, will have to bring her directly to the drawer if she does not want to leave kittens
Cat after childbirth
Unborn kittens literally empty all calcium reserves in the cat’s body, and she may experience eclampsia.
Mom should do a two- or three-day course by introducing her intramuscularly 0.5-1 ml of a 10% solution of calcium gluconate.
Before injection, it is heated to body temperature.
After giving birth, kittens may have bloody discharge, so through 1-2 days it is worth changing the litter.
Unborn kittens literally empty all calcium reserves in the cat’s body, and she may experience eclampsia. Need to do to the mother a two- or three-day course, introducing her 0.5-1 ml intramuscularly 10% calcium gluconate solution
The cat after childbirth needs enhanced nutrition.
It is necessary to feed the mother 5-6 times a day with light, low-fat food, which she may have to bring directly to the drawer if she doesn’t want to leave kittens.
On the first day, sometimes you need to bring to the box and toilet so kitty doesn’t worry, going far from kids.
The cat very subtly feels the mood of the owner. Don’t fuss behave calmly, then the woman in labor will not be nervous.
If you are worried about whether you can take birth normally cats, videos posted on the Internet by those who have successfully done this, to help you!
After a certain time after the birth, when the kittens get stronger, they need to be vaccinated.
Childbirth in a cat: get ready to become a member of a miracle
Is it difficult to have a cat? If you don’t make fears, arm yourself with knowledge and prepare everything you need, this process will be calm and successful.