No one likes to think about sad things. I don’t want to read a lot about what can happen when a dog is bitten mite.
But it’s better to spend five minutes learning the theory than long months learn the practice of treating a sick pet.
Between the month of April and until the colds, the owners need Be more attentive to the health of the pet. Ticks lurk their sacrifice is everywhere: in bushes, grass and trees
- 1 Tick Danger
- 2 Symptoms of a bite disease
- 3 How to get a tick out of a dog
- 4 What can not be done
- 5 When to take to the vet?
- 6 Prevention of ticks in dogs
Insure 100% of your doggie from a bite of an ixodid tick impossible.
Even if the dog walks only 30 minutes a day and wears special collar, from April to the coldest hosts need to be more attentive to pet health.
Ticks await their prey not only in bushes, grass and on trees.
A person can “transport” them on clothes and shoes, these parasites hide in rugs to wipe their feet before the doors.
At exhibitions of various levels, there is also a risk of picking up this pest.
The danger of contracting a disease arises not only with a tick bite, but also when the dog accidentally swallowed.
The insect itself is digested in the digestive tract, but parasites carried by him manage to penetrate into the bloodstream.
Moreover, even with a thorough examination of the skin of the dog you may not notice where the enemy of health lurked.
After all, he chooses the most tender and inaccessible for visual site ratings.
The danger of contracting a disease arises not only with a tick bite, but also when the dog accidentally swallowed
Bite Disease Symptoms
The tick itself is not very dangerous, a threat to health are parasites that he can carry with him.
After all, among other things, it can provoke development staphylococcus in your pet.
Therefore, if the owner removed even a dozen of these from his pet insects, doggie does not have to get sick with something.
However, when detecting and removing a ghoul, one must carefully observe the behavior and condition of the dog for 3 to 30 days.
Various ticks are carriers of “their” parasites. But because and the observed symptoms are significantly different.
- With bartonellosis, the dog may have drowsiness, weakness of the hind legs, weight loss, inflammation of the eyelids, cardiovascular problems, weight loss, joint inflammation. There are hemorrhages in the eyeballs, nosebleeds.
- Hepatozoonosis does not manifest itself, while the dog is okay with immunity. As a result of stress – childbirth, relocation, transferred cold – parasites are activated. At dogs intensified discharge from the eyes, fever appears, pain in muscles and joints, weakness.
- Ehrlichiosis can be dangerous for person. Signs of the presence of the parasite that caused the disease – this is, first of all, reduced activity, the dog lies a lot, doesn’t want to play, guards with a retarded reaction to any host words and commands. The next stage begins a strong fever.
The tick itself is not very dangerous, a threat to health are parasites that he can carry with him
- Also dangerous not only for animals, but also for humans is borreliosis. The dog becomes inflamed joints in the nearest place to the bite, then arthritis develops. Lameness usually occurs completely suddenly and is accompanied by various neurological disorders. Then it all also suddenly the next stage passes and sets in: poor appetite, apathy, weakness, inflammation of the joints.
- Pyroplasmosis is the most a common ailment that occurs if a dog is bitten by a tick. what what to treat depends on the stage of development of the disease. Doggie after a bite is sluggish, drinks a lot, but doesn’t want to eat. Begin disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, shortness of breath develops, the temperature rises. The urine has a very dark color – red, brown and even almost black.
So what to do if a dog is bitten by a tick?
Treatment for detecting this parasite on the skin of an animal, Naturally, is not a priority.
It is important to extract the whole insect, along with the head.
If you find and remove a ghoul, you must carefully monitor behavior and condition of the dog for 3 to 30 days
How to get a tick out of a dog
- It is necessary to weaken the insect. Do not flatter yourself, simple vegetable oil is not enough here, because ticks are enough for a long time can do without oxygen. Better in advance purchase a special remedy directed at the veterinary pharmacy parasitic action, for example, amitrazine. Technology in this case this: every minute you have to drip a drop on the insect.
- If after 15 minutes the tick itself does not fall off, take the tweezers and grab a parasite at the very base of the head or close to the skin of the dog. Now with unsharp rotational movements unwind the insect, then gently pull it towards you. At turning 360 ° at the tick, the jaws open and it can be easy to pull out. Ghoul does not give in? Drip again, twist and pull.
- Treat the inflamed bite site with iodine or brilliant green. AT observe for several days whether swelling and redness further down the dog’s skin.
The primary task is to loosen the insect and pull it out
What can not be done
- Try to pull out the parasite with your fingers, because they carry it diseases can be dangerous to humans.
- Leave the head of the tick in the dog’s body, as this may provoke serious inflammation at the site of the bite.
- Immediately organize a doggie treatment with complex drugs. The fact is that the presence of a tick does not necessarily indicate infection of the animal with parasites. Therefore, giving the dog just in case case specific medicines which are inherently poison, the owner undermines her health.
Treat the inflamed bite site with iodine or brilliant green. Watch for several days, not spread swelling and redness further down the dog’s skin
When to take to the vet?
Suppose the owner safely removed parasites from his skin pet.
And then what should I do if a dog is bitten by a tick? Symptoms insect-borne diseases may not appear for weeks and even for months.
And in some cases, the animal may suffer, it would seem, from common diseases that are peculiar to the breed.
But in fact, this disease will be a consequence of infection parasites that the tick suffered.
It is clear that when a bloodsucker is found on a dog’s body, it’s not worth immediately rush to the vet clinic and do various tests or asking for a magic pill for everything.
You need to contact specialists in the following cases:
- There is a suspicion that not all of the dog’s skin was removed mite.
- All ghoul insects were safely removed, but the dog estrus period and she is preparing to mate.
- There are obvious deviations from the norm in well-being and animal behavior.
In the first case, the veterinarian will help clean the skin of the dog remnants of parasites and disinfects it.
In the second, and especially in the third, it will be necessary to analyzes.
Only they will show if treatment is necessary and what it should be, if the dog is bitten by a tick.
What to do, to conduct treatment at home or to visit with a doggie in clinic, the specialist decides in this case.
For reinsurance against complications after a bite, it is better to show animal to vet
Tick Prevention in Dogs
Prevention cannot provide ideal protection against ticks, but with it using the risks of attacking these nasty insects can substantially to lower.
To begin with, it’s worth choosing the territory for dog walking competently. Of course, as already stated at the beginning of the article, ticks can live in the most unexpected places.
But still at the peak of activity of these insects – April-May, as well as August-September – you should refrain from walking in the forest or the park.
But the dog can “catch” the tick in the yard or square, therefore after each walk, you must carefully examine the body of the pet.
The next step will be the use of acaricides.
Today, a great number of them are sold in veterinary pharmacies – this is collars from ticks, and drops at the withers, and sprays.
An undetected tick bite can lead to deplorable the consequences
Important! In anti-bite formulations ticks, a fairly short period of action, often no more months. Therefore, to correctly use them, subtract instructions.
Remember, any “chemistry” that you use to protect your doggie from parasites, does not act immediately.
The protective function of the drug “turns on” usually after a couple of days.
And you need to carefully study the packaging so as not to purchase expired goods that could poison a dog.
If possible, it is advisable to instill a doggie against pyroplasm.
In France, developed a vaccine called Pirogoda, which stimulates the production of antibodies against babesiosis of dogs.
As a prophylaxis against tick bites, you can use special collar
So, timely prevention is our everything.
And when the owner is attentive to his pet, risks associated with serious consequences or fatal the outcome of a tick bite is reduced to a possible minimum.
A tick bit the dog: what to do to render the animal competent help?
The dog was bitten by a tick. To protect the dog from diseases, caused by a tick bite, prophylaxis is necessary. Also you need to know the symptoms of these diseases and be attentive to the state of the doggie.