Everyone sneezes: people, cats, dogs, decorative rodents. One time sneezing is not considered a symptom of some disease, however frequent “Apchi” – a warning signal. In this article on baleen purrs, we’ll try to figure out why the cat sneezes.
What the cat says “Apchi!”
To begin with, we agree that if a cat sneezes, say, 1-2 times a day, then it’s not worth talking about any problem. Pussy can to For example, sneeze by breathing in dust particles or particles of sand. But if the animal sneezes often, looks painful, refuses to eat, you should be wary, as well as make an appointment with ветврачу.To разобраться в проблеме, рассмотрим причины,why cat sneezes:
- Allergy – a cat often sneezes when irritated by the mucous membrane a nose that results from allergies. At home An animal can be sensitive to many substances: air fresheners, dust, pollen of flowers, smoke, aromatic oils and so on. With allergies, cats not only sneeze, they have outflows from the eyes, skin rashes, vomiting, dyspnea;
- Colds – a runny nose and a cat sneezes due to decreased immunity after hypothermia or as a result improper maintenance (for example, in a damp room). If the cat caught a cold, it will suffer both from sneezing, and from emerging snot, lacrimation, fever, cough;
- Infectious ailments of viral, fungal or bacterial nature – with rhinotracheitis, bordetellosis, chlamydia, aspergillosis, cryptococcosis and other diseases in a cat can frequent sneezing (in some cases with blood). Symptoms all of the listed diseases vary, but there is also something in common: the cat feels hot, coughs, refuses food, from her nose mucus or pus is secreted, eyes are often sore, may be stool disorders;
- Foreign bodies stuck in the nasal cavity – almost all cats are inherently curious because in their little nasal moves often fall into small pebbles, twigs, and beads. Sometimes foreign bodies become insects. Any foreign object landed in a cat’s nose, can cause uncontrollable sneezing, discharge from the nostrils (usually mucous, but if the nose is damaged, then blood may be present), anxiety, heavy and noisy breath;
- Polyps in the nose – if there is a cat nose on the mucosa neoplasms, in such cases the animal constantly sneezes, rubs his nose with a paw, sniffs, transparent nose flows from his nose snot;
- Asthma – a cat sneezes and coughs and has problems with bronchi. The mucous membranes of an asthmatic animal turn pale, breathing becomes hoarse, the pet swallows air with his mouth open, looks weak and lethargic;
- Oncology of the nasal cavity – fortunately, nose cancer in cats it is rare, and usually such a serious illness is found in animals aged. More often than others, oncology of such a plan is observed in European shorthair cats. With cancer, the pet sneezes blood, loses its sense of smell, tubercles may appear on the muzzle, from tears flowing in the eye. If the disease is started, the unfortunate purr is severely losing weight, not eating, suffering from cramps. Unfortunately, untreated (or untimely help) are fraught with the death of the animal, whereas proper therapy gives a chance to save the eared home friend
- Worms – if a cat coughs, sneezes and watery eyes, then the case may be in the ugly worms that affected the respiratory system. At worms, animals lose weight, lose their external gloss, experience nausea and bowel problems.
In which cases it is worth contacting a doctor
So, seemingly innocuous sneezing can often be a sign of a serious illness. How to be the master, if the animal then Does the business suffer from a sneeze? Of course, you need to go to the doctor soon. IN In the following cases, an appeal to a specialist should be незамедлительным:
- If во время чихания появилась кровь из носа (вдруг этоoncology?);
- If a cat has snot abundantly and constantly flowing from its nose, or pus;
- If the cat breathes hoarsely with open mouth;
- If besides sneezing, there are other symptoms of ill health (fever, reluctance to eat, cough, etc.).
What to do if a cat sneezes
Actually, you can treat sneezing at home only after doctor visits. Depending on the cause of the sneeze, потребуется:
- При аллергии – антигистаминные средства;
- With a cold – prescribed nasal lavage, heavy drinking, immunostimulants, antibiotics, antiviral agents;
- With a viral infection – antiviral drugs, antibiotics, immunomodulators, anti-inflammatory drugs;
- In case of bacterial infection – the use of antibiotics and probiotics, immunotherapy;
- With a fungal infection – an infusion of antifungal agents into nasal cavity;
- If foreign bodies enter the respiratory tract – endoscopic removal of cat nose anti-inflammatory drugs if necessary;
- With nasal polyps – surgical removal neoplasms;
- In asthma – cats are prescribed glucocorticosteroids, antibiotics (if the disease is caused by an infection), the use of inhalers, placement in oxygen chamber during an attack;
- For cancer of the nasal cavity – chemotherapy or radiation therapy, surgical intervention (rhinotomy);
- With pulmonary worms – deworming drugs, anti-inflammatory, vitamins.
All of the above measures to eliminate diseases that contribute to sneezing, carried out only after visiting a specialist. At home Unfortunately, even the most vigilant owner will not be able to determine what caused the pet to sneeze.
How to Prevent Cat Sneezing
As we found out, sneezing is just a symptom of some kind of ailment. Чтобыthe cat did not suffer from constant “Apchi”, you need:
- If an animal sneezes due to an allergy, it is important to determine what It causes a pathological reaction. As soon as the allergen is determined whether to exclude or minimize its presence in the room where the pet lives;
- To avoid colds do not need to let the cat out on the street for a long time in frost, rainy and windy weather. Animal sleeping place should be equipped in a dry, moderately warm place without drafts. Еслиit’s cold in the apartment, you can wear a warm blouse on your pet or cover it with a blanket;
- Infections cannot always be avoided, but better excluded cat communication with stray animals. From some ailments (that rhinotracheitis) cats get vaccinations that contribute to development of immunity in relation to pathogens of infection;
- In the apartment where the cat-asthmatic lives, there should be a crystal cleanliness and regular airing. Tobacco smoke should exclude;
- Worms poison not only the respiratory system, but also the intestines, stomach, heart and other important organs. Cats are wormed 1 time per quarter, even if there are no signs of the presence of worms at all;
- In order not to miss a serious illness at the initial stage, It is important to show the cat to a veterinarian at least once a year. What if any disturbing symptoms are noticed, then you need to run to the clinic immediately.