The most independent pets are cats. Many people think that they are tied more to the territory of their residence than to to their owners. Some lovers of these animals, however, with this disagree, but everyone recognizes that these four-legged creatures proud, prudent and brave. However, there is one feature their behavior, which seems strange to many. Understand why cats afraid of water, not knowing the true reasons, difficult. Yes, and they are not afraid of her at all – this is only the first impression.
- 1 How Noah Cat Offended Other Legends
- 2 Real Reasons: Are Cats Afraid of Water?
- 2.1 The danger of hypothermia
- 2.2 Risk of overheating
- 2.3 Activating secretory functions
- 2.4 Presence of bacteria and viruses
- 3 Why does a dog like to swim, but a cat doesn’t?
- 4 Swimming training
How Noah Cat Offended Other Legends
There is one interesting legend explaining this rabies. During the biblical Flood Noah conceived to build a huge ark, where he gathered a pair of all the earthly creatures to save them for a future life when the water is still will subside. Before sending in search of dry land, the old man warned all birds and animals so that no one quarrels with each other for the sake of conservation of species.
However, the devil (how without him?) Turned into a large, toothy rat, penetrated the ark and began to gnaw a hole in the bottom so that everyone sink. The cat noticed this and, in turn, bit the rat.
Noah saw this violence and became angry, because he warned so that no one attacks anyone. Without understanding, he ordered throw the cat overboard into the raging waves. Companions, however, quickly explained to the elder what happened, showed a hole that was gnawed by the rat and the cat were returned back. But since then it has water persistent hostility.
However, another legend about the ark says that first on it there were no cats at all, as well as in the whole world. But during the voyage of all wanderers, rats were literally tortured, and Noah asked the lion to do their fishing. But he was too big to chasing rats in all sorts of crevices and shelters on the ark. Then The king of animals sneezed and, probably, with the assistance of above, on the deck a cat appeared on the ark. She started catching rats, but to the sea with habits also reacted wary.
According to another legend, a cat appeared on the ark when Noah stroking a lion
If you set aside the epic, it is believed that modern domesticated pet – a descendant of the African wild cats that lived in the desert and preferred not to settle near reservoirs. Therefore, they are traditionally water unusual.
However, there are ancient examples of other similar tetrapods, which water did not scare away. For example, cats living on the shore The Irish Sea has long been a great swim and hunter in it. BUT Siamese, according to legend, accompanied their dignity hostesses in swimming time in the pool.
And in general, some coastal peoples have a legend, according to which the cat’s tail is capable of characteristically bending, because she catches fish on him like a hook.
Cats, by the way, are excellent fish catchers, if there are any to accustom.
Real Reasons: Are Cats Afraid of Water?
In fact, the aquatic environment for cats is by no means alien. Barely born, the kitten is already capable swim and holds well on the surface of any body of water or bath. Another thing is that cats hardly want to do this. And there is pretty good reasons.
The danger of hypothermia
The hair of cats is arranged so that under its thick air accumulates with hairs, which serves as a kind of heat insulator. Thanks to such a “pillow” these tetrapods perfectly tolerate temperature extremes. But as soon as the fur gets wet, the insulating properties disappear, and the tail a person’s friend becomes cold even with relatively warm water temperature and on land.
After bathing, the cat looks for where to warm up.
It’s the same as wearing a warm coat all your life, and then suddenly dump her. So, if after swimming your fluff begins to tremble frantically and rush about the room, do not scold him – he is really very cold.
Danger of overheating
In very hot weather, the skin of the animal without protective wool pillows that rinse off with water literally suffer from exposure sun rays. And if you make your way to a cool place – it will begin to overcome the cold. Cats become literally defenseless before atmospheric exposure.
In the heat, many owners, wanting to help their pet, bathe her, but after that the cat only gets worse
Activating secretory functions
The subcutaneous glands of this pet, as in many others give off a certain secret that protects skin. In water, this contact is washed off, and the glands begin instantly respond to this, developing new portions of the secret. This substance has a characteristic odor, and strong, because recovery is in enhanced mode.
And the process of this cat is very unhealthy. After all, she is by nature – predator. And how will she catch prey if the victim smells her smell for verst? Yes, and large predators who themselves do not mind eating cat, too, will feel its presence from afar. No, better in do not climb water …
Cats consider toys to be prey, so don’t interfere with your pet. show a hunting instinct
The presence of bacteria and viruses
Wet hair gets dirty quickly. Tailed, oh who are in question – large neat and constantly lick their a fur coat to the desired purity. With lickable mud and particles, such as coastal sand, enter the stomach all sorts of microorganisms, including pathogens.
If the cat does not dare to approach the water, do not force his favorite to do it – maybe she likes to watch more from afar
Many zoologists believe that cats instinctively foresee risk of infection and therefore prefer to refrain from bathing in a river.
Cats living in the wild do not possess such complexes. They have increased immunity, they tolerate cold more easily and are rarely afraid other predators. Jaguars, serval and especially tigers are very fond of frolic in cold water.
Why does a dog like to swim, but a cat doesn’t?
By tacit agreement, some dogs rescue cats from water
Indeed, most dogs get bathing undisguised pleasure. This is easily explained:
- coming out of the water, the dog immediately shakes off, but does not lick wool;
- their hairs are often longer, therefore it accumulates faster heat;
- dogs maintain the temperature balance by sticking out their tongue at breathing, but cats do not know how;
- while hunting, the dog smells little about its own smell, since she runs long distances as a victim, and not stealthily creeps up.
Please note that this process requires caution and patience:
- First, bathe your pet in just a few moments with water room temperature. Do not do it by force – unless in the most the first time the cat will willingly go into your hands, then after hearing a noise water, he will begin to actively run away and hide.
- The cat shouldn’t be washed too often, she already cares about clean wool, licking it.
- Do not use “human” shampoos – the foam is alarming animal.
- Do not bathe your pet in the evenings. In nature, this is hunting time. If to distract the hunter, he will be left without food, so do not disturb the pet at this time engage in games or other activities that mimic food search.
For a cat you need to buy shampoo at a pet store
Even such a stubborn and fearful pet can be accustomed to swimming. Cats can swim, but they don’t want to. Seeking to instill pet love the aquatic environment, stick to the following rules:
- Start by choosing a shallow vessel, where in front of your pet immerse toys or food. Sooner or later, curiosity will take top and your tailed friend will step into the water.
- Gradually bring these games to the bath, where you can start with shallow depth.
- Cats don’t like a bathtub over slippery edges, put it there a wooden shelf or partition – it will be more convenient on it climb.
- Accustomed to swimming in the water, your four-legged family member can decide to swim in a natural reservoir, just do not need it insist.
Some cats “go against the system” and themselves with pleasure jump into the water
Domestic cats are not afraid of water, they simply do not consider it necessary climb into it once again. Each animal adapts to the world around him, as best he can, and this four-legged friend of man does it with amazing insight.