Vaginitis in a dog – inflammation of the vaginal mucosa, caused by the introduction of a pathogenic infectious agent. Often cause pathology are opportunistic microorganisms, which are part of the natural microflora of the reproductive organs. An increase in the number of opportunistic microorganisms and the transition their pathogenic occurs against the background of a decrease in protective forces organism.
- 1. The causes of pathology
- 2. Symptoms of vaginitis in a dog
- 3. Treatment of vaginitis in dogs
- 4. Prevention of pathology
Causes of pathology
In addition to the imbalance of microflora caused by a decrease in immunity (read how to increase immunity in a dog), the cause of vaginitis in dogs can become the following factors:
- hormonal imbalance;
- violation of metabolic processes;
- previous infectious diseases;
- vaginal injuries during mating or giving birth to puppies;
- infection by sexually transmitted pathogens;
- foci of chronic infection in the body;
- violation of the conditions of detention and feeding;
- the use of aggressive drugs;
Read also about dog sterilization.
Symptoms of vaginitis in a dog
The inflammatory process proceeds with swelling and redness mucous membrane. Sometimes inflammation is accompanied by fever body, general weakness and loss of appetite in the dog. These symptoms usually causes an adjunct secondary infection or ascending infection of the reproductive organs system and urinary system.
Especially dangerous is the upward movement of the infection if the dog is pregnant. Inflammation may cause miscarriage or birth. weakened, non-viable offspring. Depending on type an infectious agent and the type of inflammatory process that he caused, vaginitis in dogs is classified into:
- serous – accompanied by the release of translucent, liquid-mucous cream-colored secretions;
- catarrhal – thick, cloudy, white discharge from the vagina colors with a specific acidic odor;
- purulent – a viscous secret with streaks of yellow-green pus, with unpleasant pungent odor;
- fibrinous – except for copious discharge, pathology accompanied by the deposition of whitish films on the walls of the vagina, consisting of fibrin. Doctors do not recommend cleaning them, as the body in this way restores the integrity of the mucosa. Under fibrin plaque, the upper part of the mucosa is destroyed and looks like open wounds;
- gangrenous is the most dangerous type of vaginitis when it occurs tissue disintegration, the formation of foci of necrosis, purulent abundantly departs detachable along with the sucrose.
Treatment of vaginitis is prescribed depending on what types microorganisms were the causative agents of inflammation, and at what stage progression is the process itself.
Dog Vaginitis Treatment
Self-medication or attempts to treat pathology in a dog folk methods are unacceptable, since progressive vaginitis can lead to infertility, spread of infection to other organs the genitourinary system, and in severe cases – to the death of the pet. At the first signs of the disease should go to the veterinarian, so how, the earlier treatment is started, the more successful its outcome.
Serous and catarrhal vaginitis is best treated. IN in this case, pathology therapy can be dispensed with antibiotics. Syringing with weak solutions is recommended. disinfectants – Miramistin, Furacilin, pink potassium permanganate solution, 0.9% sodium chloride solution.
For local treatment, ointments are used. Using sterile spatulas or spatulas on inflamed mucous loops apply ointments: Oxycortic, Synthomycin, Streptocidal, Prednisolone. IN complex treatment of vaginitis allowed douching with decoctions medicinal herbs – rhizomes of calamus, aloe juice, mountain arnica, a solution of tar birch, etc.
Severe forms of vaginitis should be treated only after analysis. smears to establish an infectious pathogen. In case of purulent and fibrotic vaginitis are prescribed antibiotics appropriate class. When a secondary infection or combination several types of pathogen are prescribed antibiotics broad spectrum of action and antimycotic drugs.
With heavy discharge after douching, lay immunostimulating ointment Fitoelita. With juvenile vaginitis prescribe injections of hormonal drugs.
To maintain the body’s defenses after the course treatment and for the prevention of relapse of the disease is recommended:
- comply with hygiene rules pet
- give balanced, rich in vitamins and minerals food;
- to vaccinate on time;
- mate only with healthy males and after reaching female physiological maturity;
- timely sanitize foci of infection in the body.
Treatment of vaginitis can be long, but subject to recommendations and preventive measures, the disease is cured completely.