Having a dog, the owners are faced with such a very standard a phenomenon like molting. Naturally, few people like wool throughout the house, but you should not put up with this. There is no need demanding the impossible from the dog – stop molting, but it’s worth helping pet during this period. In addition, molting in dogs can be off-season, but associated with a special condition, or some a disease. In this case, the pet requires the help of a specialist and special care.
- 1. Natural molting in dogs
- 2. Shedding not related to wool change
- 3. How to comb out wool during shedding
- 3.1. You can watch a video on the correct combing dogs:
- 4. Additional activities during molting
- 5. Care for different types of wool
Natural Shedding in Dogs
The coat of a dog has a number of important functions:
- Makes the skin of the animal inaccessible to all kinds of parasites – fleas, ticks.
- Prevents the development of infectious diseases.
- Protects from atmospheric conditions.
In addition, a beautiful, shiny coat gives the dog a well-groomed view. The owner often wakes up the desire to pet the pet a luxurious fur coat, and it gives pleasure to both parties.
But wool has one property – 2 times a year is exposed update. This is a very important process for animal health, which occurs in spring and autumn.
Frequently asked question: “How long does a molt in dogs last?” Duration natural molting – 7-14 days. During this period necessary take certain measures, and of course, more often do house cleaning, since completely getting rid of ubiquitous wool does not work. The first molt begins after reaching them half a year old.
In a healthy animal, molting is fast, without significantly affecting the appearance of the pet, since updating the coat happens almost immediately.
The reason for concern should be prolonged molting when the wool comes out in shreds, and the one that remains looks lifeless and untidy. The growth of the coat slows down, it may change structure and density of the cover. The reasons may be covered in a failure activity of the body, and in the presence of any diseases:
- lack of vitamins and minerals in the body dogs;
- liver disease (hepatitis);
- violation of the digestive tract or endocrine system;
- malfunctioning kidneys;
- parasite infection;
- disorder of the immune system.
In this situation, you will need a consultation with a veterinary a doctor. Excessive hair loss may be due to pet stress, for example, after parting with the owner, moving to another place of residence, conflict situation.
In case of weakening of the body after childbirth, trauma, surgery or prolonged illness; unplanned molting is also possible.
The person himself can become a cause of strong molting in a dog if too often bathes a pet. Yes, this is due to the good intentions, but shampoos can deprive the dog of the necessary for her protective fat layer that forms on the skin. In this situation the hair follicles are significantly weakened and the hairs begin fall out.
Wool can react to molting to environmental conditions. For example, indoor dogs, rarely in the open air and contained in poorly ventilated rooms may update the hair is constantly, but this does not happen in street dogs.
How to comb out wool during shedding
No matter what caused the change of wool – the onset of the season or other factors, but it’s important to help the dog and alleviate its condition in this difficult period.
The main way is to comb out the hair daily with a special comb or brush. Such manipulation is extremely beneficial to health. animal, since:
- help the dog to get rid of dead hair and accelerate growth new hairs;
- will have a stimulating effect on blood circulation in the upper a layer of the epidermis, which will improve the intake of nutrients, vitamins and minerals to the hair follicle;
- improves the appearance of the coat – it will become smoother, silky.
And also, if you comb the dog daily, less often for a broom or vacuum cleaner.
Such care requires special tools:
- To remove the warlocks from the undercoat, you need a comb, made of hardened steel, not bad if it will be covered nickel.
- Where a metal tool does not fit, more useful delicately acting brush-slicker. Suitable for use in sensitive areas.
- It removes dead hair from the dog’s body well. gloves.
Using this set of fixtures daily, it’s possible for 4-5 days to rid the pet of old wool. There is also a tool capable of performing almost all of the above functions – furminator. It looks like a rake, and acts without injuring new coat by hooking and lifting the undercoat.
There are restrictions on its use – do not apply, if there is damage on the skin of the animal – irritated patches, ulcerations, wounds, bruises or abrasions. Also it is not suitable for processing certain breeds – frieze, American spaniels, terriers, Chinese crested, poodles, lapdogs, curly-haired retriever.
Another important condition – the dog should not have tassels, which means that before the procedure it is necessary to comb out the wool comb or comb of metal. If you don’t do this, your pet it will hurt too much.
You can quickly rid your beloved pet of dead hair, using the furminator after swimming. The tool must be driven along wool growth, gently and without pressure.
You can watch a video on combing a dog correctly:
Additional activities during molting
In addition to combing, it is recommended to use dry conditioners that improve the structure of the hair and nourish them.
While washing your pet, you can apply balm or An air conditioner designed for use during molting. it strengthens hair roots and makes combing more comfortable, as the coat will not be very confused. Suitable for this period shampoo, which includes protein that creates on the skin cover a protective film.
It is worth paying attention to the nutrition of the dog during the molting period. IN this time the pet needs to be given vitamin complexes. In veterinary departments or pharmacies, you can purchase special drugs, improving wool quality. The main components required to strengthen the coat are B vitamins, copper and zinc.
If the animal eats natural food, it is worth increasing in the amount of protein products in the diet, as protein gives wool shine and elasticity. The dog needs more meat, only low-fat, from offal you can give boiled liver and chicken hearts. A couple of times a week you can treat your pet with saltwater fish, but you need to choose low-fat varieties and carefully remove before serving bones.
It is recommended to give the dog during molting fish oil. In the diet it is advisable to include cereals and vegetables, and if the dog does not have this food interested in – add canned dog food to which the animal not indifferent.
Care for different types of wool
Shedding in different breeds is different, it all depends on the length and wool qualities:
- How to care for long-haired pets. Dogs with long hair molt intensively, they need frequent haircuts and regular combing. During molting, you can bathe the dog once every two weeks. Similar procedures are required for poodle breeds, Spaniels, Terriers, Shih Tzu, Scottish Shepherd Dogs – Collie and Sheltie, Golden Retrievers and St. Bernards. If you do not give due attention to the pet’s hair, then it will be knitted in tangle, and the skin covered with irritation and sores. And such a pet is very easy become infected with parasites. At the owner of a long-haired friend during Shedding should be on hand brush and a sea of patience.
- Care for dogs with short hair. Often people prefer short-haired dogs, hoping that there will be no trouble with wool. However, such a pet also has property to renew its coat, like all other breeds twice a year. In addition, short bristles are very difficult remove from carpets. These breeds include Dobermans, Bulldogs, Dogs, Dalmatians, Rottweilers, Boxers, etc. the time of changing the coat of the animal must be wiped with a towel from terry or velor, and they need to be cleaned several times a week special brush with natural bristles.
- Care for the owners of hard wool. Representatives of breeds of Schnauzers and Terriers have lost the property shedding yourself, and this is definitely a plus. But still they need to remove dead hair. For this, dogs are made pinching (it is also called “artificial molting”) – trimming. There are two ways – use a special knife or make manually. The procedure for animals is carried out at least once every six months, you can do it yourself, or contact a specialist – groomer. In this case, we are talking not only about aesthetics, but also protecting the skin of the dog from possible irritation and discomfort.
Shedding is a difficult period for both dogs and their owners. But if it refers to the situation as a given, and ease the state of the pet, you can overcome any difficulties.