Healthy eating is important not only for us people, but also for our pets. How to feed Maine Coon, which will bring maximum benefit animal, and what is better to refuse, so as not to harm the pet? This will be discussed in our article.
Why the right diet is so important
Although not so often, but some owners prefer to pour in a cat’s bowl of “human” food: meatballs, fried potatoes, soup or borsch with slices of bread, sweet cereal. Such dishes are not only not good for the cat, and bad because of the large number of seasonings, salt, sugar. Spicy, oily, smoked food from the table at best will cause indigestion in the cat, at worst – serious problems with liver, kidneys, stomach. Feed Maine Coon so that he is healthy, follows either high-quality prepared feed, or natural food based on high-quality low-fat meat. It will have to be prepared by the owner, taking into account the needs of his furry pet. Why it is customary to focus on the right animal nutrition?
- Properly selected food helps prevent many diseases prolonging the life span;
- A balanced diet maintains Maine Coon’s exterior on height (good condition of wool, skin, claws, teeth, etc.);
- Healthy eating helps the proper development of kittens, as well as responsible for the excellent physical condition of adult animals.
What kind of food do little Maine Coons need?
For starters, learn how to feed a Maine Coon kitten, when вводить в его меню “взрослые” продукты:
- Малышу в 1 месяц можно давать немного жидких каш,cooked in goat or cow milk (if it is very oily, should be diluted with water 1: 1). Also once a day a kitten can treat scraped (or mashed) boiled meat. But in 4 weeks old baby is still in great need of maternal milk, because it’s too early to transfer the kitten to another food. If the “baby” is nevertheless taken from the mother, it can be used with caution transfer to 6 meals a day, which should include meat (about 20% of the total food) and dairy products (their must be at least 80%). Perfectly replace cat’s milk artificial mixes designed for kittens (e.g. Beafar Kitty Milk “). If such substitutes are not available, you can give Maine Coon goat or cow’s milk diluted with water.
- At 2 months, the kitten can be fed 6 or 5 times a day. It’s important to decide which feed is preferable – purchased or cooked yourself. If you plan to feed the animal industrial feeds, it is worth giving preference to the product, created specifically for kids (for example, “Royal Canin Maine Coon kitten “). Dry granules should certainly be soaked in water. If owner’s choice in favor of natural feeding, kitten’s diet must consist of meat and milk (or milk replacer), a small amount of vegetables and cereals.
- At 3 months, Maine Coon is fed 5 times a day, and at 4 months, it is reasonable to transfer it to 4 meals a day. Milk and his a substitute can no longer be given to a kitten, but as a source calcium, it is advisable to choose dairy products with a fat content not more than 9% (kefir, sour cream, yogurt). Amount of meat that the baby eats in a day, increases. Let’s say in one feeding you can treat the cat with boiled and chopped offal (heart, kidneys, stomach), then give preference to grinding meat with porridge, then meat with vegetables, and for dinner give the pet something from fermented milk, for example, cottage cheese or kefir. If the choice fell on finished food, dry product can be alternated with wet (it’s important so that these were feeds specifically for kittens!).
- At 5-6 months, Maine Coons are fed three times a day. True, the portions are increasing. If kittens are 2 months old ate 120 g of “natural”, then by six months they already need up to 200 g of food. A portion of dry or wet food also grows (recommendations for the amount of food for kittens is written on the product packaging). Kittens on a natural diet of 5-6 months also requires meat, sour milk, cereals and vegetables, sometimes you can give cooked sea fish and offal, boiled quail eggs.
- Actually, kittens older than six months are fed 3 times a day, and already at 10-12 months – 2 times (in the morning and evening hours). Along with the growth of the animal, the portion grows – the cat is 1 year old it is required to eat already 250-300 g of natural food. Increases and portion of dry food (according to the manufacturer’s recommendations on packaging). By the way, it is permissible to give purchased food for kittens Maine Coon up to 15-16 months, because they are longer than other cats The breeds are in their teens.
What is fed an adult Maine Coon
How to feed Maine Coon up to a year is now clear. And what is required an adult cat? As we found out, an animal from about a year and a half transferred to food for adults. It’s better to give preference for products specifically for Maine Coons or marked “for big cats “because granules for their powerful jaws are needed quite large, but the usual food with small granules of Maine Coon swallowed without even chewing, as a result of which they can подавиться.If планируется кормить котика натуральной пищей, выборYou can stop on such products:
- Meat (beef, chicken and skinless turkey, rabbit, low-fat mutton, horse meat). This is the main cat food – source squirrel. Meat can be cooked before serving to the cat, and given in raw form, subjecting it to freezing for 3-5 days. Raw meat without cats should not be frozen. By the way, cats can be pampered sometimes and meat broth;
- Offal (liver in small quantities, heart, scar, udder, stomach);
- Vegetables (carrots, pumpkin, zucchini). Not everyone loves them cats, but still. Vegetables can be both cooked (preferably in a double boiler), and bake, you can give them raw and washed. Useful for Maine Coon and greens (parsley, salad leaves). Some vegetables (for example, the same carrot) turns a white fur coat yellow Maine Coon, so owners of light-haired cats are better to consider such a fact;
- Porridge (buckwheat, rice, oatmeal). Boil porridge for cats both on water and on meat broth. To the animal does not refused cereal food, it is desirable to mix it with meat;
- Fish (hake, pollock, lemoneme, etc.). Controversial product so how its excess leads to problems with the genitourinary system. But at that while fish is a source of protein, vitamin B, potassium, calcium and phosphorus. Maine Coon can make fish once or twice a week day, more often – not worth it;
- Eggs – boiled egg yolks (preferably from quail eggs). They are a supplier of protein, amino acids, vitamins A, B, PP, minerals. But often give such a product Maine Coon is not allowed: they have a lot of cholesterol, they can cause cats digestive problems and gall bladder. By the way, raw eggs giving is prohibited, as they can pass on to a mustached friend salmonellosis;
- Vegetable oils (olive, sunflower). They can add in small quantities to the animal’s food. Oils are beneficial for digestion, vision, beneficial for the heart and blood vessels, strengthen bones;
- Sour-milk non-fat products (in addition to the usual kefir Maine Coon can give fermented baked milk, varenets, acidophilus and etc.);
- Pure water. Whatever the feeding of Maine Coon, in his A clean bowl must always have the same clean water.
All of the listed products allow varied and correct to feed Maine Coon, if preference is given to natural nutrition. If the owner does not have time to cook, the “natural” will replace high-quality feed preferably super-premium quality. In its composition up to 70% of real meat, offal, as well as vegetable components (including herbs), cereals (there are also grain-free feeds). From feed like Kitiket is better to refuse. They have meat ingredients not more than 4-5%, the rest is corn, vegetables extracts, bone meal, dyes, flavorings. The benefits of cheap no feed.
Feeding pregnant and lactating Maine Coon cats
Female kitty owners are probably interested in the question of what can be given to future and nursing fluffy mothers. Еслиthe animal used to eat industrial feed before pregnancy, not it should be converted to natural nutrition. But better to give preference for foods marked “for pregnant and lactating cats. “Not bad for expectant mothers and lactating animals, dry and wet kitten food. In this case, the amount of feed that you need give the cat, the manufacturer indicates on the package. If a cat is accustomed to natural food, her diet should be slightly adjusted: exclude fish (burden on the kidneys), remove vegetables that contribute to the disorder intestines (beets, cabbage), remove foods from the diet doubtful quality (spoiled, flavored with spices). But cats in position can and should be given milk. In the first part The cat is fed twice a day during pregnancy, increasing portions slightly. In mid-pregnancy, the animal is fed three times a day, while the amount of food eaten per day increases by 50%. Before childbirth cat is often fed (5-6 times), but little by little. Required you should consult your doctor about taking vitamins that are especially needed for pregnant and lactating Maine Coons on a natural diet. Feed a Maine Coon nursing cat. often, but little by little, without overloading her body with food. It is important that the lactating animal was not deficient in fluid. Is reasonable give the cat feeding the cubs milk, water, low-fat broths.
What should not be given to Maine Coons
Everything is clear with ready-made products: cheap contraindicated economy feed. They have negligible meat, but a lot of harmful components. The situation is more complicated with a natural diet. Consider what foods cats should not give:
- Potatoes – when boiled, it is almost useless for Maine Coons, and in raw it is harmful due to the high content of starch;
- Beans – cause bloating and flatulence;
- Nuts – they have too much phosphorus, which is fraught with loss calcium, impaired blood formation, the formation of liver diseases and kidney
- Mushrooms are toxic and difficult for the cat’s body;
- Tomatoes and eggplant – cause stomach pain due to content alkaloids;
- Onions and garlic – contain disulfides that destroy white blood cells;
- Avocados – all its parts contain Persin, which is toxic to stomach and intestines;
- Chocolate – theobromine, which is found in sweets, breaks the work of a cat’s heart;
- Tea and coffee – they have caffeine harmful to the nervous system an animal;
- Macaroni – this carbohydrate product causes colic gastrointestinal tract;
- Flour – dangerous bloating and diarrhea;
- Sweet foods – threaten obesity, disrupt metabolism, fatal to Maine Coon’s teeth;
- Salty foods – threaten with electrolytic imbalance, and mean dangerous for the heart, muscle system, digestion;
- Pork, goose, ducklings – firstly, similar products without heat treatment can become worm transmitters. Secondly, very fatty meat can cause vomiting, diarrhea;
- Bones – everything is simple, this product can damage organs cat digestion, which is fraught with sad consequences.