A poodle is a breed of dog that has gained worldwide popularity, and This is a very explainable phenomenon. These curly cuties have a high intelligence, hypoallergenic wool, they are unpretentious and understanding. In addition, there are several varieties of poodles – from the tiniest toy to the very large royal, therefore owners can choose their four-legged friend size. But there is one nuance about which the future owners it is advisable to know in advance – these curly doggies are prone to food allergies, therefore feeding the poodle puppy and adult dog deserves special attention. With proper nutrition, curly a four-legged friend will be healthy, active and funny doggie.
- 1. Types of food suitable for feeding a poodle
- 2. Features of feeding puppies of this breed
- 2.1. From birth to 2 months
- 2.2. 2-3 months
- 2.3. From 3 months to six months
- 2.4. From 7 to 12 months
- 2.5. From 12 to 18 months
- 3. Natural feeding of an adult poodle
- 4. List of prohibited products
- 5. Selection of a suitable industrial diet
Food types suitable for feeding the poodle
- 1 Food types suitable for feeding the poodle
- 2 Features of feeding puppies of this breed
- 3 Natural feeding of an adult poodle
- 4 Prohibited Products List
- 5 Selection of a suitable industrial diet
When babies are born, they feed on the milk of a bitch and from he gets everything he needs, including immunity. But when the offspring grows up, a person needs to decide what to feed growing puppies. Later, the same dilemma confronts new pet owners. What type of feeding is the most optimal for poodle dogs, and what aspects should be rely on when choosing it?
- Feeding by natural products. If make the right menu, then you can easily feed similar food puppy, and then adult dog. Since there are high development risks allergies, the diet should not be diverse, introduce new Products should be neat. But a prerequisite is balance, food should contain all the nutrients and elements in the right proportion. Experienced owners practice feeding poodle meat porridge, which is prepared for future use and frozen. it helps save cooking time.
- Dry industrial rations. Most dog owners and breeders are inclined to favor this option, since feeding with dry granules has a number of advantages: not takes time to cook, selection of ingredients, perfectly stored and easily dosed. In addition, quality feed contains everything essential vitamins and minerals, as well as formulas are developed with tailored to the needs of dogs of various breeds and sizes. Important choose the right menu, and the issue of feeding even a problem pet will be resolved.
- Semi-wet ready menus are canned products, which are produced in the form of pastes, pieces in sauce or pour. Usually four-legged friends eat such food. they love it because it has a rich aroma and taste. Useful are only high-quality rations consisting of natural ingredients and not containing flavoring additives. Similar feeds are not cheap, so feed them an adult dog It turns out to be very expensive. Most often, semi-moist food is used. as a treat, feeding your pet. They are also fed pets having health problems, babies and older dogs.
- Mixed diet. Ready-made diet granules can be supplemented with semi-moist diets, but give them Recommended separately. But feed the poodle with dry food, and natural products should not be, even if alternating different food. Choosing one type of food, it is worth sticking to.
Features of feeding puppies of this breed
At each stage of life, the puppy has its own needs for nutrition, and given the intense growth of the animal changes occur literally monthly. How to feed a small pet, if the owner prefers feeding natural food?
From birth to 2 months
Up to 4 weeks, it is enough for offspring to receive mother’s milk to fully grow and develop. If breastfeeding impossible or for one reason or another there is not enough milk for all babies, then the dog owners should buy artificial bitch milk in a veterinary pharmacy and feed him crumbs.
From 4 weeks you can purchase special food for puppies, which will allow you to raise healthy dogs. From the same age kids become interested in the world around them, including the contents of the mother bowl. Usually during this period, breeders begin to introduce the first complementary foods – industrial semi-moist food or ground boiled minced meat, it depends on whether there will be puppies in continue to eat food or regular food.
8 week old puppies are still interested in breast milk, but this is more related to habit, not to process saturation. In the period from 2 to 3 months, babies go to to their owners, and these changes cause crumbs stress.
To speed up the process of adapting a pet in a new house and reduce discomfort, owners should ask the breeder about what they ate puppy and for 1.5-2 weeks do not change his diet.
If you want to transfer the puppy from one type of feeding to another, then it must be carried out gradually, replacing part of the product on the other, first a little bit, constantly increasing the rate of new food. Usually a full transfer occurs in 1-1.5 weeks.
A puppy’s diet from 8 to 12 weeks may look like this (portion is designed for a medium-sized puppy):
- 1st morning feeding (from 6 to 8 in the morning) – 100 g semi-liquid cereal (prepared from 2-3 tbsp cereals). Best suited oatmeal, buckwheat, millet, rice, but don’t give semolina to puppies recommended;
- 2nd feeding in the morning (at 9-11 a.m.) – 2-4 tablespoons raw ground beef, it is alternated with fish oil (every other day) – 1/2 tsp;
- daily feeding (from 15.00 to 17.00) – 2-3 tsp grated vegetables – carrots, pumpkins, zucchini, 50-100 ml of milk, a few pieces of fruit or berries – apples, pears, raspberries and others;
- 1st evening feeding – boiled gruel shredded vegetables mixed with raw minced meat;
- last feeding – crackers soaked in milk (2-4 pieces) or 2-3 tablespoons of calcined curd.
Once a week, it’s useful to give the baby a boiled egg yolk, it can be added to dishes or diluted with milk. Can introduce a pet with such a delicacy as cartilaginous bones, but they are not given more often than once every 5-7 days. Up to three months, the baby is fed 5 times per day.
From 3 months to six months
Poodle ration becomes more diverse on puppy menu new products are introduced: beets, garlic, cabbage, chicken, turkey, fresh herbs, offal – poultry stomachs. Is worth note that chicken is quite allergenic, which means that with it the introduction should be as accurate as possible.
An approximate favorite menu may consist of the following dishes:
- porridge – rice, buckwheat or oatmeal, her can be seasoned with vegetable oil;
- meat and vegetables – the dog is given raw minced meat mixed with boiled vegetables, herbs;
- cottage cheese – it is desirable to cook it add calcium chloride yourself and in the process.
From 3 months old, a doggie is given once a week the yolk of the egg and cartilage a bone, 1/2 tsp of fish oil daily. From 4 months every 7 days it is recommended to include a raw egg in the pet’s diet. Also give fish oil and bones. From 5 months, eggs and bones are given twice a week.
Such feeding lasts up to six months, and from 6 months the menu the dog gradually begins to approach the diet of an adult animal. From three months, the puppy is transferred to 4 single feeding, and at 6 months reduced to 3 times.
From 7 to 12 months
During this period, milk is removed from the dog’s diet, replacing it with dairy products. 2-3 times a week, the pet can be given kefir, yogurt, yogurt or fermented baked milk, cottage cheese. But such food is not must be oily and contain artificial additives, and also not it should be given in the same feeding with meat or vegetables.
The basis of the diet remains meat, but it is not given in the form of minced meat, but pieces mixing with vegetables. Periodically replace the meat portion for boiled offal – liver, heart, lungs, spleen, udder, brain. But such food should not appear in the pet’s bowl more often 2 times a week. Useful for the digestion of dogs is raw a scar – it is cut into pieces and given to the dog also no more than 1-2 times per a week.
Porridge is an important source of fiber, also necessary in the diet. pet, they are given less cooked than before, seasoned vegetable oil. As an additional treat, the dog is given crackers, slices of low-fat cheese, dry cracker. Should be eaten add 1/2 tsp of fish oil per day. And if the dog’s pet isn’t gets calcified cottage cheese or refuses to eat it, then a useful supplement is calcium gluconate.
From 10 months, miniature poodles are transferred to 2 times a day nutrition, and larger brothers – from 12-14 months age.
From 12 to 18 months
There are no significant changes in the dog’s nutrition during this period, unless the serving size is increasing. To protect and strengthen joints recommended 1-2 times a month to give the pet well boiled broth from pork legs or ears. From a year and a half you can arrange four-legged friend fasting days – once a week.
As a treat for an older dog, it is allowed to give walnuts – half a day, if that poodle, mini or dwarf, and for the whole representative of larger species. For those dried fruits are excellent goals.
When introducing new food you can’t rush – give the puppy no more 1 tsp of the product and watch for 2-3 days. If there are no signs of allergy – itching, spots, redness, etc., so it can be added to menu.
Natural feeding of an adult poodle
The diet of an adult dog consists of raw and processed thermally products. Most often, owners prepare meat for dogs porridge, to which, before serving, useful dressings are added. The proportions of the diet should be as follows:
- Meat (accounts for 40-45% of all food) – on the menu include chopped beef, veal, poultry. It is given as raw and boiled, in the first case, the product is recommended pre-freeze and scald with boiling water before serving.
- Offal (they replace meat 2-3 times in week, but they should be more than 40% of the total daily diet) – Everything except the scar should be boiled.
- Fish (given no more than once every 3-7 days) – low-fat species of ocean fish should be chosen, given peeled from bones, always boiled.
- Dairy products – as already noted, milk it’s removed from the pet’s menu, but the rest of the food is fresh, natural, low fat, good for digestive tract of a dog.
- Cereals (do not exceed 30% of the total volume of food) – pearl barley is added to the dog’s diet and, like puppies, give manna.
- Fruits and vegetables (up to 35% of the total diet) – carrots, zucchini, radish, pumpkin, tomatoes, squash, cauliflower give both raw and boiled. Cabbage – only cooked, and potatoes raw. Unsweetened slices varieties of apples and pears are great snacks for curly doggie.
Natural feeding of an adult dog is also necessary additional sources of vitamins and minerals.
Prohibited Products List
Poodle owners need to know which food is not suitable for feeding the dog. There are a lot of similar products, and the probability Allergy expands the list even further:
- bones – if the poodle is medium or royal, the ban applies only to the tubular bones, and sugar or spongy a pet bone can be enjoyed. Toy and dwarf babies like it’s better not to give food at all;
- honey – although rich in various trace elements, is a highly allergenic product that provokes an acute reaction an organism;
- confectionery – any food containing large amounts of sugar are harmful to dogs, as this ingredient promotes obesity, disrupts metabolic processes, its frequent consumption leads to decreased vision and otitis media;
- sweeteners – most of them are real poisons for animals;
- sausages, smoked products – because of the composition, rich in various harmful components, such food is harmful to dogs
- seasonings and spices – often cause allergic manifestations;
- grapes and raisins – cause fermentation in intestines and intoxication;
- apricot, plum – provoke diarrhea;
- salt – because of the poodle’s tendency to urolithiasis the consumption of this seasoning you need limit.
In addition, food from the master table or waste from a meal is not should fall into the pet’s bowl.
Selection of a suitable industrial diet
Manufacturers produce dry feed in five classes:
- super premium;
Economy brands are not suitable for feeding dogs, and poodles are number. They are made mostly of cereals and meat wastes. processing, therefore, do not meet the needs of the body of predators, who, in fact, dogs are.
Medium – “drying” a little better quality, but suitable only for young, healthy dogs. Usually such feeds are not too good. balanced and do not contain all the necessary elements, so the owner have to take care of vitamins for your pet.
Premium and super premium rations most suitable products for poodles. In the rulers you can find special formulas for pets with allergies, as well as special nutrition just for the poodles.
Holostics – the highest class feed made from ingredients suitable for human nutrition. Similar menus are expensive enough, and more often they are prescribed by veterinarians to pets sick, weakened and having congenital problems with health.
Choosing food of a certain brand, you can consult with a breeder. Usually experienced dog breeders know the breed features of your pets and have already gone through all the stages of trial and error to find the most suitable diet.
It is not recommended to choose hypoallergenic formulas for a dog, which has no problems with the products. Forced diet can break metabolic processes, the work of the gastrointestinal tract, “spoil” stomach.
Canned food is an excellent way out for animals having problems with oral cavity, sick and weak. You can also use them. diversify the diet of the pet. But to feed them a dog is not constantly recommended.
It is important to focus on the age of the pet, since the formula for puppies are not suitable for adult dogs, and vice versa. Age dogs A special menu is also required that contains less fat and protein. Besides Moreover, there are special diets for lactating bitches, which provide the body of the animal with everything necessary, and therefore, progeny.
A poodle usually becomes not just a pet, a pet, but a companion, friend and even a family member. He finds a common language with by all the households and from the very first days literally falls in love with themselves. Naturally, the owners want the pet to be as good as possible longer nearby, and good care and good nutrition to this contribute.