Dogs naturally have excellent health, but they often suffer from eye diseases. Among the common eye diseases can be noted blepharitis – not the most dangerous ailment, but requiring mandatory competent treatment. What causes blepharitis in dogs, and how can a pet be rid of inflammatory process?
- 1. What is blepharitis
- 2. Types of disease
- 3. Symptoms
- 4. Treatment of blepharitis in dogs
- 5. Cure predictions
What is blepharitis
In fact, a disease is a pathological process, localized at the edges of the eyelids. Causes of blepharitis may be the most different, related to chemical, thermal effects or eye injuries.
A parasitic tick can also provoke pathology, causing demodicosis or scabies. In addition, inflammation on this the site may be the result of vitamin deficiency transferred microbial or viral disease.
Types of disease
The classification includes several types of disease:
- Simple blepharitis. This form is also called “scaly” blepharitis. It differs from other types by severe hyperemia, which is associated with an increased amount of blood. The edges of the inflamed eyelid thickened, covered with grayish-whitish scales. Most often this type of disease is associated with conjunctival inflammation.
- Ulcerative blepharitis. Dog’s eyelids swell, become covered festering crusts. Under them is an ulcerated, bleeding surface. The disease affects the hair bags of the eyelashes, after which their loss follows. Tissues at the lesion site are scarred, which subsequently causes eyelashes to grow incorrectly, similar pathology can cause an eversion or inversion of the eyelid.
- Meibomian blepharitis. Dysfunction Disease meibomian glands that start to produce too much a secret. Excess fluid enters the conjunctival cavity, provoking an inflammatory process. With this form of blepharitis edges eyelids greatly thicken. If the meibomian gland is localized pathogen of purulent infection, that is, the risk of purulent blepharitis.
- Furunculous blepharitis. People call the pathology barley, and it arises not only in people. Causes of the disease may be different, but in any case, inflammation is localized along the edge of the eyelids where the animal has eyelashes. There is profuse suppuration, which can also spread to the hair and sebaceous papillae eyelashes.
Regardless of the type of blepharitis, the pathology is brightly characterized severe symptoms. Inflammation can occur as on one, and immediately on both centuries.
The most common symptoms include the following:
- severe swelling – the eyelid increases in size, swells, may hang over the eye; can completely close your eyes, the dog does not has the ability to open it;
- the tissue becomes thicker, denser, painful;
- ciliary prolapse;
- severe itching – the pet tries to get rid of it, it scratches its eyes, damaging the affected areas, and as a result – gets into the wounds infection, abundant purulent discharge from the eyes;
- often there is a twisting of the eyelid – cilia can to get inside, rub against the corneal layer and conjunctiva of the eye, damaging surfaces like this leads to development keratoconjunctivitis.
If the disease is not treated in a timely manner, then over time the cornea begins to become covered with ulcerations. In this case, the chances are high that the animal’s vision is completely lost.
Sometimes with blepharitis, the dog can often blink, or, conversely, not open an eye with a sick eyelid. With severe swelling, it is likely another situation where swollen tissue does not allow the eye close. A similar phenomenon leads to the drying of the cornea and the patient feels severe discomfort. With complication of blepharitis in dogs can develop conjunctivitis, keratitis.
Dog blepharitis treatment
The main way to treat the disease in dogs is the use of drugs intended for local use. It is used as a therapy for all types of blepharitis.
The scheme includes the following activities:
- The crusts and scales covering the edges of the eyelids are gently soaked and delete. The procedure will require cotton pads, saline, liquid paraffin or furatsilina solution. Remove soaked tissue followed by sterile material.
- To eliminate the inflammatory process on the affected eyelid ointment is applied – hydrocortisone or Dexamethasone.
- If the pathology is provoked by pathogens, use products containing an antibiotic, for example, Tetracycline ointment.
- When blepharitis is caused by infection with parasites, it is prescribed use of metronidazole gel.
It should be borne in mind that often inflammation of the eyelid is not an independent disease, but only a secondary manifestation of the main illnesses.
Most often, you can rid your pet of blepharitis using antibacterial and anti-inflammatory drugs. If the disease associated with congenital abnormal structure of the eyelid, carry out a simple surgical intervention that solves this problem. When inflammation caused by allergies, recovery is necessary exclude contact of the pet with the allergen.
Blepharitis is a disease that affects the delicate skin of a pet’s eyelids. It It is not contagious and can be quickly cured with a competent approach. The owner is required to take the pet to the veterinarian on time, and after treating him, according to the prescribed scheme.