Cystitis brings a lot of inconvenience to human life: frequent urges to go to the toilet a little, pain in the lower abdomen, slight fever, blood in the urine. As a rule, a similar ailment significantly complicates a comfortable existence, forcing people depend on the toilet and pills. Does cats have cystitis? Alas, our home friends are also prone to this misfortune. because consider the causes of cystitis in cats, learn about the symptoms this unpleasant disease and how to help the mustachioed purrs.
What is cystitis and why does this disease occur
Cystitis – inflammation of the mucous membrane of the bladder, arising for various reasons:
- Hypothermia of the animal, provoking inflammatory processes (long stay in the cold, getting into cold water, being in a draft, etc.);
- Diseases of the genitourinary system (pyelonephritis, urethritis, ICD);
- Stresses that contribute to the production of the hormone cortisol, which affects to urinate;
- Inflammatory diseases of organs located near the urinary a bubble (pyometra, proctitis, prostatitis, etc.);
- Parasitic lesions of the genitals, resulting in bacteria from the anus enter the wounds formed worms;
- Improper diet and low activity, which negatively affects the metabolism and urinary system an animal;
- Bacterial, fungal or viral infections, (chlamydia, calcivirosis, candidiasis, etc.), which provoke the development of secondary cystitis in cats;
- Lack of drinking water, which affects the concentration urine
- Injury to the genitourinary system the result of a fall, shock, injury;
- Diabetes mellitus, which increases the level of glucose and protein in urine, leading to inflammation.
It should be noted that the disease affects cats regardless of age, gender, breed. However, older individuals with слабым иммунитетом, а также совсем молодые котята.Протекает болезнь в острой (выражены болевыеsensations, temperature can jump) or chronic (the symptoms are usually not so obvious, but the disease looks sluggish, undermining overall health). Wherein the disease is of various types:
- Ideopathic (it is not known what exactly causes the disease, more often than not, cystitis occurs in older cats with endocrine problems);
- Hemorrhagic (occurs with diseases urinary system);
- Serous-catarrhal (observed with emotional disorders, malnutrition, low water intake);
- Purulent (when the disease is caused by pathological microorganisms, most often bacteria).
Symptoms of feline cystitis
To determine that your favorite pet has caught an unpleasant sore, it is worthwhile to carefully monitor the frequency of urination, a touch of urine and possible impregnations in it. In general, symptoms of cystitis in cats the following:
- Soreness during urination (cat mews plaintively, walks on slightly bent paws);
- Frequent urge to go to the tray in a small way (sometimes every 5-10 minutes);
- Failure to visit the tray (due to cat inflammation it seems that the bladder is always full);
- Reduction of excreted urine;
- Discoloration of liquid excrement (due to blood, pus, mucus);
- Unpleasant ammonia smell from urine;
- Tense belly (the cat does not allow to touch the belly due to pain);
- Signs of anxiety (the pet cannot find a comfortable pose, sleeps poorly, often “cries”, licks genitals, etc.);
- Refusal from food, games, communication with the owner (from everything that she loved cat before illness);
- Weight loss;
- An increase in temperature (in the acute course of the disease);
- Increased thirst due to frequent visits to the tray;
- Vomiting (as a result of intoxication of the body from delayed excretion of urine).
Even if the animal has several symptoms at once disease, treat the pet at home only after a visit to the veterinarian. It will be possible to diagnose cystitis after passing a urine test on the presence of protein, white blood cells, red blood cells, salts; bacteriological seeding for microorganisms; cystoscopy (for research Bladder); Ultrasound (to examine the condition of the genitourinary organs); genital and blood smear tests to confirm or infection denial.
Getting rid of a pet from cystitis
Treatment for cystitis in cats is prescribed by a doctor, pinpointing the cause the development of the disease. So, with bacterial purulent cystitis in cats usually administered antibiotics (tablets for cats for cystitis “Enroksil”, injections “Baytril”, etc.) and enterosorbents (“Enterosgel”, Polysorb, etc.). If cystitis is triggered by inflammation urinary tract may require bladder lavage антимикробными растворами.Неплохо проявил себя препарат “Стоп-Цистит”against inflammation, cramping and urinary retention in the body. Apply with cystitis caused by stones in the urinary system, and homeopathic remedies (“Cat Erwin”, “Kantaren”, “Cyston”), providing saluretic, anti-inflammatory and diuretic exposure. Before treating cystitis in a cat, it is important first contact an intelligent veterinarian who can identify the cause the appearance of the disease. For example, if the disease is caused by inflammation of the uterus, not do without surgery. With urolithiasis diseases will require drugs that break down urinary stones. And when cystitis that appears on the background of a viral infection can save sulfonamides. In short, the proper treatment of cystitis in the home conditions should be determined by a specialist.
Prevention of feline cystitis
Cystitis is a treatable, but rather unpleasant ailment, from which can save these tips:
- The house should be moderately warm (damp, blown rooms undermine the condition of the animal);
- In the frost the mustachioed pet is better not to let go outside, either reduce walk time to a minimum;
- The animal should be vaccinated annually;
- Quarterly, cats are given anthelmintic drugs;
- The immunity of the animal should be maintained at a height by choosing the best feed, suitable vitamins;
- A cat that already had cystitis can be transferred to special feed for animals with urological problems;
- Any cat sore should not be ignored;
- A pet who once suffered cystitis should be annually show the veterinarian, as well as once a year to take his urine for analysis;
- Since stress can provoke cystitis, it is important to create friendly and relaxed atmosphere at home;
- The domestic cat must receive a daily portion of the load, so that there were no problems with metabolism;
- It’s better to exclude mating your pet with suspicious animals, since often infections caused by cystitis are transmitted precisely during mating time.