If the English Pointers, German Kurzhaars and Drathaars, Hungarian vyzhl found, griffins, marriages – quite rare copies, then the Turkish pointer, or katalburun, aka “Vilkonos” – the rarest representative of the canine world, which, at home, in Turkey, see a lot of luck. Even many experienced dog breeders do not have heard of such amazing dogs, the peculiarity of which is bifurcated nose. At first glance, such a nose can seem an anomaly of development, but in fact – excellent a device capable of sensitively capturing the subtlest odor.
- 1. The origin of the breed
- 2. Description of the catalburun breed
- 2.1. The quality of the coat and possible colors
- 3. Characteristics of Turkish pointers
- 4. Training and education of catalburun
- 5. How to care for such an original pet
- 6. Breed diseases
- 7. How and what to feed the “forklift”
- 8. Catalburun conditions
- 9. Photocatalburun
- 10. Acquisition of a catalburun puppy
Origin of breed
- 1 Origin of breed
- 2 Catalburun breed description
- 3 Characteristics of Turkish Pointers
- 4 Training and education of catalburun
- 5 How to care for such an original pet
- 6 Breed diseases
- 7 How and what to feed the “forklift”
- 8 Catalburun conditions
- 9 Photocatalburuna
- 10 Acquisition of a catalburun puppy
The first recorded data on dogs that look similar to modern catalburun date back to around 1650. Researchers believe that the development of the breed took a long time time in the Turkish province of Mersin. The official homeland of the catalburuns considered the city of Tarsus.
During research, it was possible to identify that the closest a relative of the Turkish Pointer is the old-Spanish Pointer – in Spanish, perdiguerro navarro. Main characteristic that distinguishes ancestors and catalburuns – a unique structure nose.
It is not known for certain when breeding occurred, however scientists are leaning towards a period when Spain, including Mersin, located on the coast of the Gulf of Mersa, were under the reign of the Abassid (Baghdad) caliphate – from the 18th century, and after Ottoman Port period.
Unfortunately, despite the excellent qualities of hunters, Turkish Pointers did not spread outside Turkey.
Catalburun breed description
As already noted, this is a gun dog, which thanks excellent hunting instincts, highly trained and sensitive the sense of smell was actively used for hunting game birds, mainly partridges. Like other pointers, the dog helps to the hunter – discovers the game and takes a special stance, quietly pointing to the owner where she is. And then gently brings it to him wounded animal.
Catalburuns have external similarities with other pointers, but as the breed is not recognized due to its low prevalence International Canine Federation, today not there is a single standard describing breed requirements and the appearance of Turkish pointers. Therefore a description of these amazing dogs are given only by breeders, of whom there are very, very few.
Modern catalburun – harmoniously folded, well a muscular, agile and energetic dog of medium size. is he completely covered with short hair. Already at a glance, distinctly similarities with Old Spanish or English by the pointers.
In addition to a sensitive sense of smell, the dog has the ability to develop high speed and long movement without slowing down. It’s believed that they have no equal in Turkey in hunting bird birds.
Dimensions “forklift” virtually no different from the size the average representative of the species, and the parameters of the females and the males are almost the same. The height of the bitches at the withers is not exceeds 62 cm, weight varies from 14 to 22 kg, males – 63 cm, they weigh about 18-25 kg.
The description of the parameters is as follows:
- Medium sized proportional head general physique, slightly elongated, with a rounded forehead, feet noticeable – it creates a smooth line without sharp transitions. Occipital the tubercle is well developed, the nose is of a decent width.
- The muzzle is uniform over almost the entire length; it ends a large lobe with a distinctly forked, deep groove. Such a structure is not pathological and does not due to congenital malformation – cleft palate (cleft lip), which is found not only in humans but also in animals, in including dogs. Some representatives of the breed have two parts of the nose may not touch, in this case it seems that the pointer has two nose. As already noted, such a “forklift” is the main pedigree sign of catalburuns. Some experts suspect that this The feature is the result of hard inbreeding. Color an unusual lobe depends on the color of the coat.
- The dog’s lips are soft, thin, creating small bruises, giving the dog a confident, serious look. Jaws are strong, with strong grip, teeth complete, covered with white, strong enamel, close into the correct bite by the type of “scissors”.
- The eyes are not small, oval or with almond-shaped incision, deepened medium, widely spaced. Colour there can be any iris, but usually it harmonizes with the general animal exterior.
- The auricles are high, have the form rounded triangles. The form is hanging. Ears are not fleshy, rather thin, when the dog is calm they hang below the bottom the jaw.
- The head goes into a high set, muscular, medium neck length, no suspension. The body is a little elongated, but individuals of a denser physique are found, their body is approximate to square format.
- The backbone is strong, strong, and the chest is well developed.
- The back is not short, moderately wide, the line the back is straight, even. Goes to the muscular lumbar belt and wide, sloping croup. The line of a stomach is tightened.
- The tail is high, dry, different elasticity and flexibility, in a calm state reaches up to hock joints. Often, forklift owners prefer stop the dog’s tail, but in this case 3/4 of the length remains.
- The limbs are straight, well muscled – especially the back, with a strong bone. The paws are rounded compactly assembled into a lump, fingers well developed, tight pressed down.
The quality of the coat and possible colors
The entire body of the Turkish pointer is evenly covered with stiff, short hair. The hair is thin, elastic, visibly noticeable natural shine of the coat. Colors are strictly not are regulated and can be met if you are lucky catalburun with any color of coat.
More often, the basic tone of the coat of these dogs is white, small dark blotches scattered on it all over the body. With light colors, dogs often are clearly outlined, bright plain spots – reddish, brown, tan or dark brown, up to almost black tint.
Characteristics of Turkish Pointers
Since dogs of this breed are rare even at home, about their characteristic features can again be judged by the records of the breeders. Catalburuns lived with people for a long time, helped them in hunting and everyday life. Therefore, they, like all pointers, are well oriented towards person, but not used to serving.
Dogs have a sense of dignity, they are calm and balanced. Such a pet will always find a common language with younger family members, he loves to play with children and even be with them next to the pointer is a great pleasure.
As with other hunting breeds, problems occur when other animals invade the dog’s territory. “Vilkonos” does not favor other dogs too much, and if neutral he can be polite, then in his yard will not lead hospitable myself. As for the smaller animals, it is the dog causes hunting excitement.
Congenital territoriality allows the use of dogs of this rocks as watchmen. They are vigilant, incredulous and very a bit. Turkish Pointer is a dog of one owner, he is devoted to the owner, perfectly submits to him, is friendly to the rest family members, but to strangers can be aggressive.
Training and education of catalburun
All pointers need education and socialization, otherwise their behavior may be far from ideal. Concerning “forklifts”, then they are perfectly trained, and deal with them maybe even a beginner. Thanks to obedience, curiosity and activity dog quickly learns commands. Also ability doing the job unquestioningly makes the best of katalburun helper for the hunt.
The Turkish Pointer has highly developed intelligence and working qualities. If most representatives of hunting breeds can used in a real hunt not earlier than one and a half, or even two years, then the “forklift” is already at 6-7 months able to masterfully “raise” game and bring wounded animals.
In addition to hunting, these dogs do an excellent job as a companion – unobtrusive and positive. In addition, representatives of this rare breeds can be used in rescue operations, as search engines – their scent will not miss a single narcotic substance for the police service.
How to care for such an original pet
Turkish Pointer unpretentious pet, his short woolly the cover does not require special care. During seasonal molting, the dog should be treated every 2-3 days with a special rubber or silicone glove, removing dead hairs. The rest of the time it is enough to brush the dog with a massage brush once a week to the hair shone and did not form tangles.
Catalburun is quite active during walks and quite often coming home in the mud. If pollution is negligible, then You can wipe the pet with a napkin or a damp cloth. Otherwise case can not do without water procedures. If the dog is kept in the house, then you should teach him to wash his paws since puppyhood walking.
Working dogs more often than others are infected parasites – fleas, ticks and other blood-sucking insects. After each hunt, the pet should be inspected for “uninvited guests” and take timely action, not forgetting regular prevention.
The ears of the fork are hanging, which means they are poorly ventilated, which can cause inflammation. At least once a week you need to evaluate their condition and, if necessary, cleaned with a cotton pad dipped in warm water or antiseptic solution, stopping the spread infections.
The average life expectancy of Turkish pointers is 12-14 years old. These are relatively healthy dogs with strong immunity, and the list of diseases they are prone to is very modest. Still one nuance – the breed is small and poorly studied, which does not identify the full picture of genetic diseases.
For the most part, pathologies are revealed in catalburuns, typical for all pointers:
- dysplasia of large joints;
- dermatological diseases – sensitive in catalburuns skin, so skin problems are often hereditary character;
- thyroid disorders causing hormonal disorders and imbalances;
- eye diseases.
A peculiar feature – a bifurcated nose, can cause difficulty breathing, as well as frequent inflammatory processes in nasal cavity.
How and what to feed the “forklift”
When choosing the right diet, owners should consider that Pointer – a working dog, wasting a large amount of energy, and so she needs to constantly replenish her. With natural feeding the dog must eat meat – the source of animal protein, it is the basis of the diet.
The rest of the pet’s diet is vegetables – fresh and boiled, greens, cereals. Porridge is seasoned with vegetable oil, meat can be give raw, and offal – pre-boiled. Once a week, you can include eggs, kefir, cottage cheese, fish.
The following foods are on the list of prohibited foods:
- confectionery and pastries;
- salinity and smoked meats;
- raw cereals and legumes;
Natural type of feeding provides additional feeding in the form of a complex of vitamins, allowing to replenish the daily need for healthy minerals that cannot be obtained from food, and supporting the health of the pet is normal.
If the owner decides to feed the pet with production diets, then it should be premium quality food or super premium class suitable for medium-sized active breeds. Besides In addition, there are several rules that all adhere to. owners of the pointers:
- puppy food is not suitable for adults and vice versa;
- It is not recommended to frequently change the brand of feed and do it without any reasons;
- do not mix dry granules with natural products it is recommended, as well as give food of several brands in one feeding;
- canned food is given separately, without adding porridge or other food.
Regardless of the type of feeding, a pet should be provided plenty of clean water to drink.
At home (in Turkey) these dogs are kept mainly on street, and these are ideal conditions for keeping a hunting dog. However, such a pet can be accustomed to apartment living, showing maximum patience and attentiveness.
Since any apartment or house will be cramped for such energetic animal, the owner will have to walk for a long time with favorite, so that he can use up excess energy. Turkish Pointer needs regular physical activity, without them the pet can get sick, gain weight.
Catalburun is quite silent, he will not bark just like that or for any minor reason. Therefore, the dog will not deliver worries to neighbors.
Acquisition of a catalburun puppy
Those who want to have a dog with a forked lobe as a pet will face difficulties. Even at home, there are no more two hundred purebred catalburuns. In other countries there are no such dogs at all, or there are only a few of them. Not about any pedigree clubs or nurseries are not in question, a few breeders are available only in Turkey.
Catalburun is the rarest representative of pointers that possesses all the qualities inherent in hunting gun dogs. Of course, their appearance is very peculiar, and people have different looks at her react, but in most cases positively.
Future owners should consider – have a pet like this just because of its rarity and unusual nose is not recommended. After all this is a working dog who loves hunting and any active events, which means that its owner must be active.