Dog ascites, also called abdominal dropsy, should alarm the owner, as it may well lead to fatal outcome. The condition is accompanied by an accumulation of large fluid volumes in the peritoneal cavity, which can cause disturbances in the functioning of the organs of this area and shortness of breath. what leads to the development of ascites and you can get rid of the disease at home conditions?
- 1. Causes of ascites in dogs
- 2. Symptoms of ascites in a dog
- 3. Treatment of ascites in dogs
Causes of ascites in dogs
First of all, it is worth noting that ascites is not an independent disease, and a sign of illness of the internal organs. And there are many reasons for its manifestation:
- Tumor neoplasm. Often oncological processes occurring in the area of the peritoneum of the animal, accompanied by dropsy, and it does not matter which organ is affected. Pathology occurs due to the fact that the neoplasm squeezes vessels and causes a persistent increase in pressure in the portal system arteries. Against the background of increased pressure, the cavity is filled exudate. In addition, there is a risk of impaired lymphatic outflow, leading to effusion.
- Liver disease. Since the liver is filter of blood and lymph nodes, and is also responsible for protein synthesis, any defeat of her, whether infectious or not associated with infection, causes the organ to stop cope with its many functions. If speak about abdominal dropsy, then stagnation of blood occurs, and fluid seeps through the vascular walls, condition aggravated when protein synthesis is disrupted.
- Heart disease. Blood stasis is one of conditions often detected when a dog is diagnosed heart failure. It becomes the cause of penetration fluid into the abdominal cavity.
- Kidney disease. This body regulates water-electrolyte balance and controls the processes of allocation exchange products into the environment. If kidney tissue become inflamed, blood enters the urine, and this, in turn, leads to protein loss. The latter fact is the reason ascites.
- Protein deficiency in the diet. As in previous case, abdominal dropsy develops due to protein fasting. Owners should carefully choose their diet pet.
- Peritonitis (inflammatory process of the peritoneum). This disease is often accompanied by accumulation of fluid in peritoneum, this is due to the fact that the tissues of blood vessels lose their tightness.
No matter what causes abdominal dropsy, signs of pathology will be exactly the same.
Symptoms of ascites in a dog
The severity of dropsy depends on the stage of the disease and the level fluid in the peritoneum. Among the vivid manifestations of the disease is worth noting following:
- The dog’s stomach is swelling. In animals with obesity and small the amount of fluid, this symptom may be mild.
- It becomes difficult for the dog to breathe – when the amount of ascites exudate increases significantly in addition to shortness of breath shortness of breath appears, the mucous membranes become bluish shade. If the development of dropsy occurs against a background of liver damage, then the mucous tissue becomes icteric, that is, icteric.
- The most comfortable position of the dog becomes sitting – this due to difficulty breathing and pressure filled peritoneum on the area of the lungs and diaphragm.
- Swelling – a similar symptom can accompany a variety of disease, but more often it occurs if ascites occurs in conjunction with hypoalbuminemia (a pathological decrease in albumin) and renal failure.
- The dog drinks a lot, and then there is profuse urination. This sign of dropsy in dogs occurs on the background of renal chronic deficiency.
- The activity of the animal is reduced – more often the pet is observed lethargy, lethargy, the dog reacts little to what is happening around. When the disease progresses, the dog refuses food and moves with difficulty.
- Muscle tissue atrophies, and body weight significantly increases – these processes occur due to the fact that the liquid lingers in the body.
- Vomiting is a common symptom of abdominal dropsy, its appearance due to the development of the underlying disease – kidney damage, liver tissue, paraneoplastic process.
In addition, other irregularities may occur. gastrointestinal tract, for example, diarrhea.
It is important to know: how much water should drink dog.
Treatment of ascites in dogs
In this case, there is no question of a complete cure, since ascites this is just a consequence of more serious health problems. Get rid From the dropsy of the peritoneum can be exclusively if the primary disease. If this is not done, even after removing the fluid from abdominal cavity, it forms again. Ailments such as kidney failure, cirrhosis of the liver and other serious pathologies, require compulsory medical intervention.
Usually, with ascites, veterinarians prescribe diuretics – drugs that enhance the process of excretion of water and liquid. In this the group includes drugs such as Veroshpiron, Eufillin, Temisal, Furosemide et al. However, you should be careful with such medication, as the wrong dosage can lead to electrolyte imbalance and excretion minerals he needs.
If you are confident, see how to give the medicine to the dog.
You can also prepare a folk remedy with effective diuretic effect. Broth gives an excellent result from milk and parsley, it will require fresh herbs and homemade milk. Parsley, not chopping, should be placed in a pan, pour milk and place in the oven, heated to 70 ° C. Here, the product should languish, but not boil, until it the amount will not be halved. It is recommended that the dog be given him daily.
A similar effect has a decoction of fresh bean pods, apricots, degatila, coltsfoot. You can also make a decoction from the collection of herbs – chamomile flowers, currant leaf and sage. Dried raw materials are poured with boiling water, insist for an hour and give pet. The nutrition of the animal should be adjusted by excluding diet foods that promote fluid retention in the body.
Unfortunately, the owner can no longer help his to the pet, the best he can do is deliver as quickly as possible dog at the veterinary clinic. As a rule, ascites accompanies diseases that cannot be cured maintenance therapy. It’s very important that the four-legged friend in this the period was surrounded by care and love.